LegacyGT.com

4 CHANNEL AMP/stock speakers

donyzfr1

Best investment is always to properly install your drivers. Proper baffle, vibration damping, noise barrier. Just tossing new electronics or drivers into a car almost always disappoints.
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

I would replace the speakers first. Try to pick speakers that will sound good with or without amplification. Listen to the advice on proper speaker installation using baffles and dynamat (or equivalent) so you don't keep having to mess with stuff. If you still are not satisfied then add an amplifier. Are you using the oem head unit?

Since Im HAVE to keep my HU is a cleansweep really needed or is personal preference? I know Im going to add an amp, I guess you'll are saying replace the speakers. I going with a component system, what are some good sounding ones with breaking my wallet?

Do you really have to keep your oem head unit? I want to keep mine just because I think a lot of aftermarket head units look tacky. I am going to try to just upgrade my system a little bit at of time and keep costs minimized because I don't want to get a lot of money wrapped up in car audio at this point in my life. I am planning on getting some lower end component speakers because I feel even lower end component speakers sound pretty good. In no particular order; Alpine, Infinity, Kicker, Polk. A lot of these speakers are under $100 on Amazon or EBay, although the warranty may be questionable because I'm not sure if they are authorized dealers or not. Crutchfield is very good if you are new to car audio because they are very helpful, and they do have good sales sometimes. I would not plan on getting component speakers for the rear, just something that is an inexpensive voice match to the front speakers from the same manufacturer.

Yes I think I have to keep the HU because of the dual climate control being integrated with it. I have the 05 LGT. I would just add another radio and keep the oem HU turned off,but don't want 2 radios. I like the cosmetic look of having the oem HU.

Do you really have to keep your oem head unit? I want to keep mine just because I think a lot of aftermarket head units look tacky. I am going to try to just upgrade my system a little bit at of time and keep costs minimized because I don't want to get a lot of money wrapped up in car audio at this point in my life. I am planning on getting some lower end component speakers because I feel even lower end component speakers sound pretty good. In no particular order; Alpine, Infinity, Kicker, Polk. A lot of these speakers are under $100 on Amazon or EBay, although the warranty may be questionable because I'm not sure if they are authorized dealers or not. Crutchfield is very good if you are new to car audio because they are very helpful, and they do have good sales sometimes. I would not plan on getting component speakers for the rear, just something that is an inexpensive voice match to the front speakers from the same manufacturer.

Pass on Amazon & Ebay. Hit up CACO or Diyma & head for the classifields. Sure, Crutchfield support is awesome. ..BUT, what's the point of "buying online" when you have to pay near full retail LOL:lol:

Pass on Amazon & Ebay. Hit up CACO or Diyma & head for the classifields. Sure, Crutchfield support is awesome. ..BUT, what's the point of "buying online" when you have to pay near full retail LOL:lol:

You're totally right, Crutchfield is basically what you pay at the stores. I haven't bought anything from them for 12 years... until last week. Just bought an LOC from Crutchfield and used a coupon to save $20 off $100. Brought the price down to $9 above next best price I could find... and I get that great support plus the reassurance of the warranty actually being honored.

And if anyone is curious... the coupon reads "$20 off $100 when you Checkout w/ Visa and apply Coupon Code: 3A171." I checked out last Thursday with an AMEX and it still worked, so hopefully this might help one of you too.

Tightly mounting the replacement speakers is key. Here is a source that I have used for good deals on new mainstream car stereo stuff. http://www.sonicelectronix.com/landing/specials/2012/july-4th/index.php?affiliate=july4th12&utm_source=july4th12&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=july4th12
RIP 96 Legacy 2.2 4EAT lost reverse @ 374,000 miles

^Watch out for refurbs. I've had good luck w/ sonic. They are much quicker than woofersetc & have better customer service.

Pay close attention to which online distributor you purchase from ...dealercostaudio, cardiscountstereo, onlinecarstereo, etc.... I have had bad luck w/ many of them & so have others.

I'd advise you to stick to crutch, sonic, or woofers. -Just my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...
You're totally right, Crutchfield is basically what you pay at the stores. I haven't bought anything from them for 12 years... until last week. Just bought an LOC from Crutchfield and used a coupon to save $20 off $100. Brought the price down to $9 above next best price I could find... and I get that great support plus the reassurance of the warranty actually being honored.

And if anyone is curious... the coupon reads "$20 off $100 when you Checkout w/ Visa and apply Coupon Code: 3A171." I checked out last Thursday with an AMEX and it still worked, so hopefully this might help one of you too.

The discount code still works as of today. Thanks! This allows me to pick up a head unit from Crutchfield for as much or less than anywhere else, and the best part is is from an authorized dealer so I don't have to worry about warranty problems.

To the OP; the more I think about it, I would just suggest you get the amp and speakers at the same time. I value my time too much to keep ripping my car apart to mess with the stereo system.

Archived