LegacyGT.com

If you had/have clutch/throw out bearing noise read this!

croll326

To anyone out there who has had the horrible noise coming from the transmission on cold starts that goes away when the clutch is press read this. .....After having my car to the dealer twice (they heard the noise the first time, replaced the tranny fluid and said if it comes back to bring it back in for a more indepth look) well i take it back and they had it for 3 days and couldnt hear the noise. i called SOA and wanted to have them make a note of the noise so when my tranny falls out its on record. anyways if you have had this problem and had it fixed or are trying to have it fixed post here. also, fax any documentation to CHUCK @ SOA 1-856-488-3299. we need to get together and make subaru fix this problem and all the other common problems. dealers cant keep giving thier customer the run around.

They have already detected the problem and replaced the tranny fluid to fix it because that was the cheapest initial fix. It didnt work. Do they think I am bringing it back because I like going to the stealership?

I hardly think so.

They have already detected the problem and replaced the tranny fluid to fix it because that was the cheapest initial fix. It didnt work. Do they think I am bringing it back because I like going to the stealership?

I hardly think so.

You have to understand that they have to duplicate your concern before they can diagnose what is causing it. Here are some tips to help them, help you.

Describe to the dealership exactly what the concern is, when/how it occurs, if needed the speed when it occurs, gear, temperature, time of day, etc. Anything info you can give them to help them duplicate the concern the better. If needed make a log of when the problem occurs and bring it in when you bring the car in. If they are unable to duplicate the noise see if you can road test the car with a service advisor or technician and duplicate it for them.

Getting agitated with a dealer that is doing what they can to help isn't going to help. Dealers understand that people don't usually like to keep coming back for a reoccurring issue and would rather get it taken care of to satisfy the customer. The warranty pays the dealer only when they perform a repair...not when they can't duplicate a concern so it's in the dealers interest to duplicate the concern and repair the problem. They don't look for the "cheapest" repair to perform...since they are paid by S.O.A. they will get paid regardless of how much the repair is. Warranty repairs aren't paid for by the dealer.

Usually customers come in and say "My transmission is making a noise, can you check it?" and leave it at that. Not much to go on...

The dealer already heard the noise the first time i took it in. I described the noise in depth and even keep my digital camera in my car and I video tape with audio the car starting up every morning. the noise is captured on the video and I have even showed that to the guy at the dealer. Do they guys in that work the counter in the service department usually have knowledge of cars other than where to put the gas? Because at my Subaru dealer they have no idea and they really dont like the technicians to speak with the customers. In the dealers defense, it was unusually warm out when they had it and it has since become much colder. I will be calling today for another appointment later in the week when its going to be cold.

Something like this?

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1403450

I have the same noise during fairly cold starts (20 degrees and under), and I spoke briefly with my dealer about it, but I'm not so horribly concerned as it doesn't occur when then temperature rises.

At any rate, be respectful to Opie, considering the top-notch service provided on my previously Legacy, I can't think of anyone else I would rather deal with. (sadly I moved :()

I had this problem but it wasnt with the initial pilot bearing and clutch, it was after I had my clutch replaced. But I have had this problem as well. But havent really had any problems accept it just making some noise on cold start ups. I have to get another new clutch soon anyways, so I will be replacing it all again soon.

Archived