LegacyGT.com

What can be done with a base 07 2.5i?

So when I'm looking for a car, I generally gloss over the anything with a slushbox, and then toss out the non GT/SpecB.

However, a really appealing car turned up locally, and it's just a base 2.5i. Not a SE or LTD, but just a basic model.

I'd want to put in the heated seats and the heated mirrors, along with a NAV set up to put in a Nexus 7. I like the iDea of good fuel economy, but I would like to see about getting the HP up to 200 (EZ36?) if possible while remaining NA. Can I put a steering wheel that has some radio functions in, or is there no wiring loom?

I concede that this car will disappear before I can even go look at it, but it has me thinking/dreaming.

SC

1994 Legacy MI

2008 Legacy GT specB

2023 Crosstrek Limited

Heated mirrors can be done, But the mirrors, you'll need to replace the wiring harness in the door with that of a LGT.

This can be pricey, but if you can find a donor it's worth it.

You must also install relays. Use the search on this one. It's all tied into the rear defog, so no switch installs. Which is cool

Heated seats are the same, Replace seats, install switches and relays. You'll need to get the seats out of an 05-07 GT/LLBean/SpecB (you should check info on this, years)

I wouldn't try to put in a factory Nav, unless you want to sink around $2000 and a ton of wiring, the trim to put an N7 in could also run you a couple hundred.

The controls for the radio are prewired in certain cars, I think it depends on which radio/climate control system. I think you need the auto-climate.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/install-steering-wheel-radio-controls-26232.html?t=26232

Try here.

While we're on the topic, The 2.5i is a great little car, there's tons you an do with it.

Like add a turbo system, style and trim fits for the most part from JDMs

There's also a lot that you an pointlessly do with it.

Stuff like adding a cold air intake, delete mufflers, as we don't benefit from doing these type mods.

There, now if you want straight up performance, add a turbo.

Here's everything you'll need, and at 2800 it's a darn nice price.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/socal-avo-turbo-kit-2-5i-many-extras-245943.html

(i'm temped to buy it myself, but if I spend 3000 of the buying-a-house-fund my GF will shoot me)

You'd be much further ahead just finding a limited model to begin with. If you want the premium features, don't settle for a base model. With these cars being 10 years old, there's not a whole lot of price difference on the used market, it's all about condition at this point. Your patience will pay off, I looked for over a year for my wagon.

Theres alot you can throw your money away on with a 2.5i... if you purchase it keep it stock and add some cosmetic stuff, but as far as performance you aren't gonna get much for what you would spend. The more you spend the more problems you will have and you will regret it. When you could have just bought a legacy gt to begin with!!

03 WRB WRX (RIP)

04 JBP STI (sold)

07 DGM Legacy GT (RIP)

12 OBP STI (DD)

Suspension, brakes, wheels, tires, interior stuff, front lip, headlights, and you can put a header on it with a good air filter and a solid tune. It will be a really nice looking cool AWD car that will have a bit more poop and still get good mileage AND be virtually trouble free.

If I can find a nice 2.5i for my wife, I'm going to do exactly as I described. ;)

Heated mirrors can be done, But the mirrors, you'll need to replace the wiring harness in the door with that of a LGT.

This can be pricey, but if you can find a donor it's worth it.

You must also install relays. Use the search on this one. It's all tied into the rear defog, so no switch installs. Which is cool

Heated seats are the same, Replace seats, install switches and relays. You'll need to get the seats out of an 05-07 GT/LLBean/SpecB (you should check info on this, years)

I wouldn't try to put in a factory Nav, unless you want to sink around $2000 and a ton of wiring, the trim to put an N7 in could also run you a couple hundred.

The controls for the radio are prewired in certain cars, I think it depends on which radio/climate control system. I think you need the auto-climate.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/install-steering-wheel-radio-controls-26232.html?t=26232

Try here.

While we're on the topic, The 2.5i is a great little car, there's tons you an do with it.

Like add a turbo system, style and trim fits for the most part from JDMs

There's also a lot that you an pointlessly do with it.

Stuff like adding a cold air intake, delete mufflers, as we don't benefit from doing these type mods.

There, now if you want straight up performance, add a turbo.

Here's everything you'll need, and at 2800 it's a darn nice price.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/socal-avo-turbo-kit-2-5i-many-extras-245943.html

(i'm temped to buy it myself, but if I spend 3000 of the buying-a-house-fund my GF will shoot me)

Thanks for all that info! I went through that thread, and it looks like there is some great information there, but just not for a 2.5i! :(

Goodness! How can people charge so much for the factory Nav system? All I want is the big piece of plastic to put a N7 in!

Before the Legacy, I've never had a car with heated seats or mirrors. I could do without the heated seats, but I love the heated mirrors. I wasn't able to find any particular thread about changing the mirrors, but I'll keep searching.

You'd be much further ahead just finding a limited model to begin with. If you want the premium features, don't settle for a base model. With these cars being 10 years old, there's not a whole lot of price difference on the used market, it's all about condition at this point. Your patience will pay off, I looked for over a year for my wagon.

The problem appears to be that nobody bought the car I want, 10 years ago. So this car is sort of like a unicorn. Well, a unicorn that has no horn on it's head. If I had the option for this car as a GT, I'd jump on it.

Theres alot you can throw your money away on with a 2.5i... if you purchase it keep it stock and add some cosmetic stuff, but as far as performance you aren't gonna get much for what you would spend. The more you spend the more problems you will have and you will regret it. When you could have just bought a legacy gt to begin with!!

I've just been spending a bit of time looking at what it would involve to try to get the chp up to a noticeable amount. Of course I'm driving a car that came with about 135 ponies from the factory over 20 years ago, so I'm sure the 2.5 would be a noticeable jump in power. Then again, I also suspect the car is heavier to compensate.

Suspension, brakes, wheels, tires, interior stuff, front lip, headlights, and you can put a header on it with a good air filter and a solid tune. It will be a really nice looking cool AWD car that will have a bit more poop and still get good mileage AND be virtually trouble free.

If I can find a nice 2.5i for my wife, I'm going to do exactly as I described. ;)

That sounds like it would be the winning solution, although it seems the stock header is quite good from what I've been reading.

Thank you for your replies!

SC

1994 Legacy MI

2008 Legacy GT specB

2023 Crosstrek Limited

Thanks for all that info! I went through that thread, and it looks like there is some great information there, but just not for a 2.5i! :(

Goodness! How can people charge so much for the factory Nav system? All I want is the big piece of plastic to put a N7 in!

Before the Legacy, I've never had a car with heated seats or mirrors. I could do without the heated seats, but I love the heated mirrors. I wasn't able to find any particular thread about changing the mirrors, but I'll keep searching.

SC

Searching on the forum an be a little frustrating. Most of my knowledge is based on hours of research, I read everything I can find before I jump into something. So I can't always site where I heard that you need to swap this for that, or such. I generally just retain the important's.

Like adding heated mirrors with turn signals. Still something I'd love to do at some point.

I'd suggest Googling stuff like "install heated mirrors 2007 Legacy"

You'll get stuff from Nasoic [north american subaru owners.. in.. congress.. or something :)] and LGT. Which both are excellent sources of info.

There is not much different {body and wiring} between the 2005-2007 GT and 2.5i, so you can usually use the same guides. the 08-09's are the exception to the rule, as they changed the bodies then.

In know I've seen that trim sold in the Classifieds http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/member-classifieds-2005-2009-30.html

But as another poster has said, you may want to wait and try to find a LGT.. or something with a few more bells and whistles.

All these little parts that cost so much an sit in a warehouse and depreciate very little.. if at all.

If you were to buy just the navigation system,

You'll need to buy...

From parts.Subaru:

81302AG05A Inst Pnl Harn Usa $337.75

86201AG66A Radio Assy Up3 $681.33

86281AG04A Display Ay / Contact $1081.35

66060AG07A Panel Ay Ctr Mosia $119.50 <----This is what you would mount the N7 to

86271AG04A Navi Ay / Contact Ke $1163.91

86274AG000 Bracket Navig Unit $10.20

86273AG00A Cord Assy $105.22

86277AG12A Gps Assy $105.37

91502XA00A Label $2.55

045005143 Tapping Screw $0.42

SpecB ECU: I shutter to think ???

Subtotal: $3,607.60

-------

I don't mean to dissuade you though. If it matters to you and you like the car. Want something to build up. Go and buy it. That's what I did, and I love my car.

It can be like buying land and then building a house, as appose to buying a house you might not like.

Edit: The trim piece for the N7 is actually part number H0017AG932

:spin:

I was just noting the differences that kept being mentioned between 05-07 and 08-09 so I appreciate the confirmation of my suspicion! I did find a thread on installing the heated/turn signal mirrors so that was good. Sometimes it comes down to knowing what the best words are to use for a search to get better results. That's the part that I always seem to have a hard time with.

I think the first part you mentioned would be the part I would want. I'll have to go through the whole Carputer thread to check. That JDM part is just about impossible to find. Although I will be near a Japanese Subaru location in late March, so I can see if they might still be in the system. The price is certainly much more appealing for the USDM part than the JDM part!

Tell me about parts that get dusty and don't depreciate! Whenever I need something, Subaru only has 3 in the central warehouse, and they are priced like they are made out of gold! I thought I had a problem with my TPS, so I looked into getting a new one. I think it was over $300, but a TPS for a '95+ was less than $100. A scrap yard down in Vancouver had one on eBay for chump change.

I haven't had a really good project car in decades that I could work on easily, so this could be a nice opportunity to enjoy some more bloody knuckles. I found the brochures online so I downloaded them for study to see what was available from 07 to 09, so that's helping out too. However, if a '66 fastback was available for less than I make in a year, that would be fun too!

Anyways, the car has to not get sold by the time I can go look at it later this week, so I might end up looking for that elusive vehicle. If only I liked DGM...

Thanks again!

SC

1994 Legacy MI

2008 Legacy GT specB

2023 Crosstrek Limited

Oh dear! Another hornless unicorn has turned up. This one is an 05 GT LTD, and it's low miles too! I just haven't been looking for one prior to an 07.

SC

1994 Legacy MI

2008 Legacy GT specB

2023 Crosstrek Limited

Here it is: https://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/ctd/5413165141.html

Exterior - Not in bad condition, and has a set up Michelin Primacy tires. Door dings as one might expect. A section of the roof rails is missing from the back of the drivers side.

Interior - Oh dear! I think they had a large dog, and just about anything soft in the interior has the imprints from the dogs nails where it was standing. The cover for the center console looks like a pin cushion. After seeing that, I changed my thoughts about the light stains in the seats...

However, I didn't fit, but that's a topic for a different thread...

SC

1994 Legacy MI

2008 Legacy GT specB

2023 Crosstrek Limited

Archived