LegacyGT.com

Where is the Subaru GPS antenna?

snoman

This is a question for owners of 2006 Subarus that have factory-installed navigation.

Where is the GPS antenna located? I haven't seen any pictures showing a roof-mounted antenna on a new Legacy.

I am installing a Pioneer AVIC navigation system in my Legacy, and I'm looking for a stealth replacement for the magnetic mount antenna (which can't even be mounted on our trunk lids). It would be nice if I could buy a color-matched and painted OEM antenna from the Subaru part's counter!

GPS signals go right through glass. You get slightly less coverage since the roof blocks a few degrees of the sky, but in practice most GPS units work fine if set on the dashboard of a car.

Satellite radio uses more bandwith down, and most folks have it mounted in the back window. Did we ever find out what the mystery dome thingy on the front right of the dash is for? Temp sensor or gps antenna housing?
No, the name has nothing to do with bragging about 20 inch wheels...

The small dome sensor on the right side of the dashboard is a photosensor. It is used by the automatic climate control to determine the intensity of the sunlight as I understand it.

I still find it hard to believe that an OEM navigation system would have an "in car" antenna. An internal antenna can never have a full line-of-sight view of the sky in all directions. When using an internal antenna, you are bound to have decreased accuracy when driving in certain directions. Maybe Subaru felt that this wasn't much of an issue due to dead reckoning capabilities of the navigation computer?

GPS signals go right through glass. You get slightly less coverage since the roof blocks a few degrees of the sky, but in practice most GPS units work fine if set on the dashboard of a car.

i have a dell axim x50v with a pharos bluetooth.

the receiver works great hidden in the center console where it is plugged into the power outlet

The small dome sensor on the right side of the dashboard is a photosensor. It is used by the automatic climate control to determine the intensity of the sunlight as I understand it.

Hmmm....I was under the impression that it was a photosensor for the electroluminencent gauges. While the gauges vary in intensity between headlights on/headlights off, it seems like to me that they brighten up a little on sunny days and soften up a little on cloudy ones...

Who knows? I could be nuts.

I am installing a Pioneer AVIC navigation system in my Legacy, and I'm looking for a stealth replacement for the magnetic mount antenna (which can't even be mounted on our trunk lids).

Why is that ? I am looking at a similar setup and wanna know why ?

Why is that ? I am looking at a similar setup and wanna know why ?

Are our trunk lids aluminum or not? I was under the assumption that the trunk lid is made of aluminum (nonmagnetic), but maybe I was wrong and only the wagons had aluminum hatches?

Either way, it would be nice to find a nice stealthy antenna to mount on my white car instead of the ugly black antenna that comes with my navigation computer.

According to the service manual, it's on a bracket behind the combination meter (gauges) directly under the dash cover.

Interesting.

Maybe the GPS receivers I've used in the past have had terrible sensitivity compared to the new models, and it is now possible to install the antenna inside of the vehicle. I am extremely concerned with GPS reception because the Legacy's ECU is not compatible with the Pioneer AVIC. I cannot connect the speed signal to the navigation computer, and therefore I won't have dead-reckoning capabilities to display my position when GPS reception is weak.

As of now, it looks like I'm going to try mounting the antenna under the carpet of the rear deck. Maybe I'll be suprised and it will work perfectly?

FWIW, Jeep and Dodge OEM have the antenna mounted above the dash cluster, just below the dash pad. It can be done.

I still find it hard to believe that an OEM navigation system would have an "in car" antenna. An internal antenna can never have a full line-of-sight view of the sky in all directions. When using an internal antenna, you are bound to have decreased accuracy when driving in certain directions. Maybe Subaru felt that this wasn't much of an issue due to dead reckoning capabilities of the navigation computer?

ignore him, he'll go away.

Hmmm....I was under the impression that it was a photosensor for the electroluminencent gauges. While the gauges vary in intensity between headlights on/headlights off, it seems like to me that they brighten up a little on sunny days and soften up a little on cloudy ones...

Who knows? I could be nuts.

You're just nuts

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Interesting.

Maybe the GPS receivers I've used in the past have had terrible sensitivity compared to the new models, and it is now possible to install the antenna inside of the vehicle. I am extremely concerned with GPS reception because the Legacy's ECU is not compatible with the Pioneer AVIC. I cannot connect the speed signal to the navigation computer, and therefore I won't have dead-reckoning capabilities to display my position when GPS reception is weak.

As of now, it looks like I'm going to try mounting the antenna under the carpet of the rear deck. Maybe I'll be suprised and it will work perfectly?

i had an old-skool Clarion AutoPC w/GPS in my SVX, with the antenna mounted on the rear deck and it worked just fine. (couldn't mount the antenna on the dash - the SVX front windshield is titanium coated, and got no reception AT ALL! )

the Garmin portable in the Legacy now also works great using just its internal antenna - technology is teh improvering! icon_smile.gif

Are our trunk lids aluminum or not? I was under the assumption that the trunk lid is made of aluminum (nonmagnetic), but maybe I was wrong and only the wagons had aluminum hatches?

Either way, it would be nice to find a nice stealthy antenna to mount on my white car instead of the ugly black antenna that comes with my navigation computer.

A little glossy white krylon should take care of that... seen it done MANY times. Just don't use a metallic paint.

Well, maybe I'll try mounting it inside of the 3rd brake light on the rear deck. If it does work well, as many people seem to think it will, I won't have to worry about trying to mount an external antenna.

guys i have a garmain 2610 gps unit . it is 100% portable . i sue it in all my cars and even by motorcycle. it only needs 3 of 16 satalites to find where it is . ofcourse the more sats the better. ive noticed that with only 4 sats the mapping is dead on . no external antenna gust the internal one mounted in the unit.

If i lose a signal due to dense tree or canyon coverage th eunit picks up as soon as the overhead sky is clear . so what if it dosent work in a tunnel , it will when you come out.

• 1 month later...
I mounted my antenna for my carputer on the metal beam that runs under the dash behind the cubby, and it does not pick anything up there. It is a Pharos GPS that I recieved with Microsoft Streets and Trips

My Dad has the same one... and I'm pretty sure that is a "line of sight" antenna.

Archived