LegacyGT.com

lowering springs recommendations/suggestions please

teducci

Honestly, I run BC BR coilovers on my LGT wagon, my bro runs them on his fozzy, and know a few other guys that made the jump and we all say its worth every penny. Adjustable ride height, adjustable dampening, adjustable camber,...

I picked them up for 1g shipped at https://www.importimageracing.com/

I searched and found ones for 03-08 Legacy GT. Are those the ones you bought?

http://www.importimageracing.com/bc-racing-br-series-coilover-kit-for-03-08-subaru-legacy-gt.html

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes, those should be the same ones. BC makes a few different types, I just went with the basic BR coilover and am very happy with them.

What's the ride like? I used to run the EibachPro-Kit on my VW Passat a ways back. 1" drop and not harsh at all. Also did you get the extenders for ease of adjustment? Tire wear?

What's the ride like? I used to run the EibachPro-Kit on my VW Passat a ways back. 1" drop and not harsh at all. Also did you get the extenders for ease of adjustment? Tire wear?

I love the ride. The dampening is adjustable so you can dial-in how hard or soft. I don't have sways or endlinks, so for me about 8 clicks from hardest is aggressive yet comfortable.

Yes I got the rear extenders and I think they were worth it.

There are many factors that effect tire wear. My alignment/camber is nothing extreme, so not too much extra tire wear.

• 1 month later...
How are the Sti Pink springs Vs. the RalliTEK springs?! Anyone have a clue?! I would like to pair them with the Koni Sport struts... I wanna put money into bracing and some of the smaller components. So im not looking to spend a ton on a coilover setup.

I love the ride. The dampening is adjustable so you can dial-in how hard or soft. I don't have sways or endlinks, so for me about 8 clicks from hardest is aggressive yet comfortable.

Yes I got the rear extenders and I think they were worth it.

There are many factors that effect tire wear. My alignment/camber is nothing extreme, so not too much extra tire wear.

More pics of the wagon please? :)

Agree with many posters. I have MTG, MGA springs? I don't remember, but they're the company that produced the Eilbach Sports once Eilbach stopped. About 1" drop all around with Koni yellows. Links and braces in back. Car handles like a dream. Now the question - problem: with stock 17x7.5 with an offset off, I think +53, I can't get any big brakes in there. I regularly exceed 140 and I'm tuning for more horsies. I NEED BETTER BRAKES! I was thinking tires too. Would love to go 18x8 but I'd probably have to roll the fenders. Even the 18x7.5 is suspect because of the drop. Or are they? I could live with whatever rim size I have too (the extra 2" on the x8s would be nice) if I can just get an offset that will allow me to get some big brakes in. Or, should I just do SS brake lines and bigger MC or booster? Any suggestions welcome.

I would start with better pads, rotors , MC brace . Wilwoods might fit with the stock rims but you will only get a better feel not necessarily shorter stopping distance. Braided lines give marginal improvement

Would love to go 18x8 but I'd probably have to roll the fenders. Even the 18x7.5 is suspect because of the drop. Or are they? I could live with whatever rim size I have too (the extra 2" on the x8s would be nice) if I can just get an offset that will allow me to get some big brakes in. Or, should I just do SS brake lines and bigger MC or booster? Any suggestions welcome.

I was able to fit some 18x8s +48. I am dropped pretty low on BC BR coils and I don't have problems with rubbing. Full disclosure, if I load the car with a bunch of weight it will rub in the corners. This is the trade off. And its totally worth it! But with 2-3 passengers in the car, I never rub.

GeraldG Here are a few pics, sorry black against silver is a rough contrast to capture...

IMG_0204.thumb.jpg.2e7e6a1863f3d781cd74cb6b509f90db.jpg

207669277_RotaGravel4.thumb.jpg.4e45054537417908931c6410526141eb.jpg

2139194352_FrontLoRes.thumb.jpg.5fc02c5d23f8b7dd86b26e15af0881c8.jpg

I would start with better pads, rotors , MC brace . Wilwoods might fit with the stock rims but you will only get a better feel not necessarily shorter stopping distance. Braided lines give marginal improvement

Yeah. Did I add I have sways and links? Will the extra width & height make that much difference? Because I really need those BBs. Coming down from 140-160 she slews, not straight line stop.

I was able to fit some 18x8s +48. I am dropped pretty low on BC BR coils and I don't have problems with rubbing. Full disclosure, if I load the car with a bunch of weight it will rub in the corners. This is the trade off. And its totally worth it! But with 2-3 passengers in the car, I never rub.

GeraldG Here are a few pics, sorry black against silver is a rough contrast to capture...

That's interesting. Even tho I don't have the wagon, it makes me wonder. BTW, use bounced flash to capture black and siver. :)

Thank you for the pics. :)

How long have you had your coils? Seems like you're pretty happy with them so far. I've been undecided whether to go this route or just do konis.

GeraldG Thank you for the pics. :)

How long have you had your coils? Seems like you're pretty happy with them so far. I've been undecided whether to go this route or just do konis.

Yes I have been very happy with them. I bought them from Import Image Racing back in January 2012. I love that I can always adjust my ride height if I need to. The adjustment process takes a little time, but probably a lot less time than replacing springs and or struts.

• 4 weeks later...
Do not buy bc coilovers DD owners. Coilovers are meant for the track. Track cars race, then get cleaned and put into the garage. When you apply a cheap coilover set up on a DD it is dangerous. Coilovers do not like cold, wet, nasty environments. You are going to run into rust, leaks, and locking out. If you aren't racing your car on the weekends at your local track and just want an aggressive look lowering springs and adjustable struts are more practical, the money you save can buy rotors and new pads. MEMBERS, if you want an honest non-bias opinon go to the venders with questions. I have a hard time trusting a member that has been running this coilover for nine months. iamdonz, not talking you down, it just needs to be said it is smart to question the information in these forums. then once your question leads you somewhere else question that. to conclude, don't trust ones opinion get twenty opinions on these products and make your decisions from there. Edited by Daniels

Do not buy bc coilovers DD owners. Coilovers are meant for the track. Track cars race, then get cleaned and put into the garage. When you apply a cheap coilover set up on a DD it is dangerous. Coilovers do not like cold, wet, nasty environments. You are going to run into rust, leaks, and locking out. If you aren't racing your car on the weekends at your local track and just want an aggressive look lowering springs and adjustable struts are more practical, the money you save can buy rotors and new pads. MEMBERS, if you want an honest non-bias opinon go to the venders with questions. I have a hard time trusting a member that has been running this coilover for nine months. iamdonz, not talking you down, it just needs to be said it is smart to question the information in these forums. then once your question leads you somewhere else question that. to conclude, don't trust ones opinion get twenty opinions on these products and make your decisions from there.

While I agree about cheap coilovers being bad for a DD car, I don't know where you are coming up with the idea that they can't withstand rain or cold. Not calling you out because I can't prove otherwise, but I also have seen that claim made a few times on this forum with no backing. I bought RCE Tarmac coilovers used with 20k miles on them and they have the slightest bit of surface rust but they handle just great and were previously a DD setup. I plan on having them rebuilt of course when they are due.. but as far as a great DD solution, I love them. The helper springs really allow for a smooth ride as far as bumps and cracks, but they really come alive when I get into some tougher cornering situations. I plan to autocross this summer and we will see then how they really perform. But since you're posting about not taking what people say on this forum for fact, I am wondering if you have any factual info about coilovers not enduring weather because I would be interested to see about that.

Do not buy bc coilovers DD owners. Coilovers are meant for the track. Track cars race, then get cleaned and put into the garage. When you apply a cheap coilover set up on a DD it is dangerous. Coilovers do not like cold, wet, nasty environments. You are going to run into rust, leaks, and locking out. If you aren't racing your car on the weekends at your local track and just want an aggressive look lowering springs and adjustable struts are more practical, the money you save can buy rotors and new pads. MEMBERS, if you want an honest non-bias opinon go to the venders with questions. I have a hard time trusting a member that has been running this coilover for nine months. iamdonz, not talking you down, it just needs to be said it is smart to question the information in these forums. then once your question leads you somewhere else question that. to conclude, don't trust ones opinion get twenty opinions on these products and make your decisions from there.

I am just curious, do you or have you owned BC BR coilovers? Have you used them on your lgt wagon? When I purchased mine I did my research, I read my reviews, and I shopped around a lot. Bottom line: know what you are getting into. If you had a bad experience, that's unfortunate. I honestly agree with you Daniels, those who are shopping for suspension, or really any mods need to get lots of info and do their research. Figure out what you want, if it's practical and functional for where you live and how you drive.

To each his own. I love my set up as an aggressive DD with coilovers. You may love your spring strut combo. In the end, we both are enthusiasts that do things our own way.

I have BC BR coilovers on my 05 LGT in Northern NJ (for the past 3 years/winters). They have served their purpose: squat and dive reduction, handling improvement, ride height adjustment. The ride is very harsh which I don't mind (unlike many passengers). But the front 2 now need new shock cartridges which can be purchased through BC for $95 each. But I will be purchasing koni/spring combination to replace the BC's. Northern NJ is definitely not the friendliest place for coilovers unless you are switching them in and out over the winter. If I had to do it all over again I would do a koni/spring combo to start. My personal opinion is that low end coilovers are not very good (it is what it is). Higher end coilovers like RCE tarmacs or even better, the AST's whitetiger is currently selling in the member classifieds are well worth the money if you have it. Just take good care of the coilovers to prolong the need to have them rebuilt. Swap them out in the winter (if possible) if you live in a place that has cold/snowy winters.

koni/spring combo > cheap coilovers

quality coilovers > koni/spring combo

But if someone is just looking to adjust ride height and could care less about drivability BC's may serve there purpose perfectly.

I have the Koni-Epic Engineering combo and I love it. I have the Konis set at the mid point between firm and soft. The ride is rough when the roads are bad, which is most of them here in NE PA.

For those of you that have the same setup as me, what camber are you running in the front and does anyone use a camber kit for the rear. I'm running -1 degree in the front and the rear is -.5 and -1.5, left to right respectively (not adjustable). I had the alignment done at the local Subaru dealer. I wonder if their machine is off because when I first got them put on the rear camber was dead even at -1.1 and -1.0. What do you guys/gals think? The frame isn't tweaked at all. The mechanic said toe has alot to do with it and my toe was way out. Dam potholes.

^^ I'm running koni/eibach and have my alignments done with the following:

summer:

-1.2 deg camber front

-1.0 deg camber rear

0.0 toe all wheels

winter:

-1.0 camber all wheels

0.0 toe all wheels

I have adjustable lower links in the rear that allow me to dial in whatever I want alignment wise.

I have the whole whiteline kit:

http://www.infamousperformance.net/servlet/the-253/Whiteline-Subaru-Legacy-GT/Detail

A bit pricey, but it allowed me to even out the alignment on the rear of my car. This wasn't really noticeable on the street but during autocross the car feels way more uniform in left and right turns than it did before. The whole rear end stiffened up a bit with the poly bushings which felt nice (to me). I also had a bent control arm and frozen toe adjustment bolts which made me replace everything with aftermarket.

In short, I'd say they are worth it for the track but probably not for the street. If only driven on the street you could get the whiteline rear camber bushings that will let you even out each side as long as your toe bolts are still moving.

Yea, this is just a street car. I may be interested, just for grins, if Fred Beans parts carrys them so I can pay with Subaru Bucks.

Thanks for all your input. I really just want to make sure I don't wear out my new tires prematurely.

Currently I have OEM struts with H-Tein spring and planning to replace them in the spring. I've recently bought Koni yellow and looking forward to swapping it out. My question is, should I replace the spring with Koni/Epic or just stay with Koni/H-tein?

I like the ride(H-tein) but I don't like the saggy butt look. And I also don't want to spend more money. OR I could see the H-tein and buy the epic? What do everyone think?