LegacyGT.com

spec b "feel" and handling

Hi,

just got my '08 spec b last month. Love it. What I want is to figure out the simplest way to give more "on center" feel and slightly more rigid feeling handling. I am used to a "heavier" feel and less body roll, and hope to achieve this without sacrificing too much ride quality (it is my daily driver).

The car doesn't feel unstable on curves/exit ramps(it actually can go fairly fast on exit ramps), but there is that roll feeling. The only problem is that I do not want to sacrifice ground clearance to achieve that goal because it is going to be a mountain-going car in the winters. The only other mod I am planning is the accessport. This is my first subaru and first time altering a car's performance attributes.

Thanks in advance for any input.

What are you running for tires? Different tires may give you that central feeling that you are looking for. As for getting rid of roll, sways will help with that.

+1. All the suspension mods in the world won't make if a difference if you have bad tires.

Not to be pissy but the OP question has been asked a million times. Browse or search the suspension threads and you'll quickly find a myriad of similar discussions/recommendations :)

Congrats on the car!

________________________________________________ [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1980"]'05 BSM OBXT Row-your-own, W.I.P. :rolleyes:[/URL] [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1242"]'06 Shrek B # 64 - The car the wife loved to hate :( Sold...[/URL]

OP, those were the first things I wanted to change too.

Like the others said:

-Sway bars will take out the roll.

-Springs will also take out some roll and give you more feel. I got the Ralliteks because I also wanted minimal drop but improved handling.

-LCA Bushings will give you that heavy steering & centered feeling you're looking for.

Research around for those things, and you should be able to fix what you're looking for. These were my first mods on a limited budget, and I love it.

Springs are ideally the proper way to reduce roll. but since there isnt an aftermarket spring stiff enough to do that well, we have to resort to swaybars. swaybars also reduce roll at the expense of suspension independence. LCA bushings will increase steering feel, response and stability.

thanks guys. I did look through other threads prior to posting to attempt to avoid re-inventing the wheel. Without really having driven modified cars, I didn't want to generalize from other models/body styles/years, etc. Everyone certainly seems to have perceptions about their individual models quirks, beyond what I could easily sort out from the existing threads. The sway bar sounds like a good place to start.

Anyhow, I am riding on the stock 18" wheels and tires. Has anyone gone to 17s or different widths/treads to reduce some of the road noise with good result? Also, what size has worked well for snow tires? I usually simply get a dedicated set of snow tires/wheels for the winter.

Thx

Archived