LegacyGT.com

Clunking from rear suspension

brum

I'm having some bad clunking with the Perrin 25mm bar and stock endlinks. I broke one of the brackets and it is now welded back on with the Cobb reinforcement brackets.

I know for sure that all the swaybar hardware is torqued to spec but I'm getting a clunking from the right rear side (opposite of the previously broken bracket).

When on a 95% level surface the swaybar is closer to hitting the upper link on the right side than the left side by about a half inch.

Is my strut blown and is allowing the suspension to settle a little more on that side or is something loose/broken?

You have the same setup as me, and I do not have that issue. I was under there again this morning and everything looks good and clear. However, did you check to see if the bar is sliding and he clunk is the bar moving from end to end? I have that issue.

There really is nothing else in the suspension area that it could hit without something else being wrong to pit it out of place. Then again, you check the bushings to make sure they Are not breaking down, and the endlinks to ensure it is being controlled? Could be the strut, or maybe one of he bushings in a lateral link.... Friends wrx had that issue

K I'll check all those things out.

The bushings are 6 months old and the bar doesn't move side to side from all the messing with it I've done. The endlinks seem tight but I'll check those too.

Thanks man!

Sure the sway bar isn't hitting the exhaust? I have a Cobb rear on mine at it hits the exhaust on occasion. And yes, I can see the impact marks.

On a side note, my rear shocks need to be replaced also. I just haven't gotten around to ordering parts and doing the install, though I should probably do it before the weather turns bad.

What "D" brackets are you using with the larger bushings? I had mine installed using energy suspension bushings, with the stock "D" brackets (bought the bar w/ bushings used, didn't come with new "D" brackets), and found I had clunking after the install. Turned out the energy bushings were wider than the stock brackets, and allowed side-to-side movement which was causing the noise. New "D" bushings w/ brackets solved the issue.

I got it up on an alignment rack and checked everything. We cycled the suspension and couldn't hear or see anything clunk.

The right rear sideskirt measures 6 1/2" from the ground and the left rear sideskirt measures 6 7/8" from the ground. This leads me to believe I've got a bad strut.

Any confirmations or opinions?

Archived