LegacyGT.com

low idle for cold start

greenleg88

my 97 legacy has a rather low idle for starting cold.

when its really cold out.. like just now it was 35 degrees F where i am..

the engine will start.. hold out at liek 1500.. which is normal.. but as soon as i hit the brake and get into reverse.. going towards drive.. the idle will drop to about 800.. again normal....

but when i put it back into park... the idle just stays at about 750.... even when its DEAD COLD and has only been on for about 30 seconds...

as long as i dont touch the shifter.. the idle stays high at about 1500...

i just think its strange that the idle isnt higher when its cold at all times...

any ideas

my 97 legacy has a rather low idle for starting cold.

when its really cold out.. like just now it was 35 degrees F where i am..

the engine will start.. hold out at liek 1500.. which is normal.. but as soon as i hit the brake and get into reverse.. going towards drive.. the idle will drop to about 800.. again normal....

but when i put it back into park... the idle just stays at about 750.... even when its DEAD COLD and has only been on for about 30 seconds...

as long as i dont touch the shifter.. the idle stays high at about 1500...

i just think its strange that the idle isnt higher when its cold at all times...

any ideas

Must be normal, that's the way mine works and always has. I'm glad.

Higher rpms can wreck parts when the transmission is put into gear. Not good.

hmm.. im pretty sure it would jump back up to 1500 before.. but i just think its odd that the idle stays that low when the car is THAT cold...

ive driven an 05 corolla automatic that would jump back up.. and pretty much every other automatic ive driven jumps back up when its cold...

i guess im not really upset.. im just concerned.. i feel like something has changed since like last week...

I have '96 5MT, when I start cold its at about 1500 RPM. It will stay there for quite a while. If I blip the gas, it will drop to about 800. Same things goes for my sister's '99 5MT. I think its normal.

In the "old days" carbureated cars had mechanical idle control mechanisms. High idle for colder conditions was held until the engine fully warmed up. High idle meant REALLY high idle sometimes.

Shifting into gear with the engine running 1500-2500 RPM is violent on the drivetrain. Periodic replacement of the U-joints was common with older cars, in no small degree the result of the violent impact on the drivetrain when drivers shifted into gear with a high idle. Thankfully, modern ECU controlled cars are smart enough to know the signals that indicate the car is about to be put into gear and lower idle appropriately.

mm i see.. well the reason i posted about this in the first place was because i felt something about a week ago. and it happened again this morning..

on a dead cold start.. it started up fine. i didnt have much time for it to warm up much.. so i just went.. and when i was pulling out of my parking spot in D the wheel was turned about 60 percent and there was NO throttle response.. i thought it was strange.. cuz the engine wasnt revving. i put the pedal to the floor for a second and nothign happened. i backed off the gas completely. got back on and the car was normal again.. and i thought it was somthign liek not making power at the low rpms or osmething.. but it felt like either somethings wrong with the throttle cable. or somethigns slipping that im not feeling... idk...

I've had the same EXACT problem recently. start it up, put it in D, hit the gas and nothing. let off and hit gas again and it goes. i started logging to try to figure out what could have been doing it and since i've been logging the problem has stopped showing up...

i just noticed it again.. i was goign to take a video of my car jumping back up in RPM after taking it out of D.. but i didnt have my camera.. cuz i know it jumps back up...

and just now.. the thing where the gas pedal goes blank just happened again...

first i realized the car is in second gear.. and my car tends to start in second gear a lot.. even from a dead stop.. why does it do that?

and the pedal came to life as the wheel straightened out.. so i think there was just strain from the wheels being turned..

but that also concerns me because the mpt clutch on the car was just replaced like 2 weeks ago.. and that seems like its the same symptoms starting to come back...

I've had the same EXACT problem recently. start it up, put it in D, hit the gas and nothing. let off and hit gas again and it goes. i started logging to try to figure out what could have been doing it and since i've been logging the problem has stopped showing up...

hi all,

so i got a check engine light last night and its been coming on and off which is strange.. but i checked the code.. and i dont remember the exact number but i believe it was p0122 or somethign of the sort.. but it was saying throttle body position sensor low input..

so someone told me to recalibrate it. and that is what was causing the car to not be responsive when i put the pedal down...

so thats what ill go do....

Archived