LegacyGT.com

How much to fix?

ktm200

So this weekend I was up in boston and unfortunately way too many people that don't know how to drive have licenses. This is what happened overnight while my car was parked on the street. Does anyone have any idea how much this could end up costing me to fix? The damage is mostly on the bumper with a smaller scratch on the fender. Headlamp is scratched up pretty good too. Obviously going to go get an estimate but I figured I'd post and ask so I might not be so shocked when I go to the body shop. Thanks.

Check the attached pics.

IMAG0057.thumb.jpg.712ba82b380b0e06c7919bc12cc0b0bd.jpg

IMAG0060.thumb.jpg.b0dec534338a8e674cc9fe25f79c62de.jpg

IMAG0061.thumb.jpg.f7f10bd43b6ea8e5c57198f50fd7b6c1.jpg

IMAG0064.thumb.jpg.5eb4d1744ccde11a685f6c399e33babe.jpg

Hey rather than taking it to dealer to get a whole new bumper do a google search for your area and see if you can find a resoration/repair shop. i have one in my town that does just small stuff. rim repaints for when people scuff rims on curbs. and they do small scrapes and dents. i think it loked to be way better pricing that traditional body shops replacing bumper and do alot of paint matching etc.

This is a link to there website. i know it not in your area but gives you the idea of types of services these companys offer: http://www.acecars.net/?p=21

Hey rather than taking it to dealer to get a whole new bumper do a google search for your area and see if you can find a resoration/repair shop. i have one in my town that does just small stuff. rim repaints for when people scuff rims on curbs. and they do small scrapes and dents. i think it loked to be way better pricing that traditional body shops replacing bumper and do alot of paint matching etc.

This is a link to there website. i know it not in your area but gives you the idea of types of services these companys offer: http://www.acecars.net/

Thanks for the link. I'll probably do that. I don't plan on having the bumper replaced. I don't think its bad enough for that to be done. Will definitely need to be sanded and have some body filler work done. Being a plastic bumper, its now really rough where some of the scrapes are. I can also get a headlamp myself instead of through a body shop and save a few hundred dollars. Just hoping its not thousands of dollars to have cleaned up and sprayed. My insurance has a $1200 dollar deductible and the woman I talked to on the phone for the insurance agency said my rates could go up anywhere from 20-40% after a claim!!! regardless that it was a hit and run. That's why I figure I'm better off paying out of pocket.

$1k. I'll write up an estimate for you if you really want me to.

Just from that far away picture its clear the bumper needs a few hours repair refinish and the scratches in the fender appear well below the paint, may even have a little dent there and the fender needs some repair/refinish as well. Cant tell from far away whether or not you can wet/sand and polish the scratches out of the headlight, but if you cant and cannot live with it, the headlamp is a couple of hundred all by itself

$1k. I'll write up an estimate for you if you really want me to.

Just from that far away picture its clear the bumper needs a few hours repair refinish and the scratches in the fender appear well below the paint, may even have a little dent there and the fender needs some repair/refinish as well. Cant tell from far away whether or not you can wet/sand and polish the scratches out of the headlight, but if you cant and cannot live with it, the headlamp is a couple of hundred all by itself

You don't have to write anything up. I appreciate the response. I know its hard to get an accurate figure from some cell phone pics. Was only looking for a ballpark figure just to get an idea. And you are correct, the fender scratches are right down to the metal, tough to judge even in person if there is a dent in the fender. With the paint missing its hard to see if a reflection is distorted. I didn't plan on replacing the headlamp through a shop if I pay out of pocket, did a bit of research and can get one new offline for $160 shipped. Might try polishing them out first. It is a pretty good set of scuffs in the headlamp but not nearly as noticeable as the paint of course. Was just trying to get a feel for the cost as it could be a little while before I can get to a shop. Also, I have multiple cars on my insurance policy and a claim will result in the costs of all three vehicles going up. Thanks again

For a thousand bucks I would just look into purchasing an aftermarket bumper and installing it myself...

To each his own I suppose-I know that for previous cars I've dealt with (a couple BMW's, a Honda...) guys have found front bumpers online that look almost identical to OEM and is nicer quality for half the price.

Archived