LegacyGT.com

extending wheel bearing warranty

at 75K i just had to have both rear wheel bearing assemblies replaced. cost about $500. fortunately someone at my dealer (Hodges in Ferndale MI) just told me that Subaru may be extending the warranty beyond the current 5/60K and i could get my money back.

hope so.

fyi for others with similar problem

Was just at my dealier yesterday, and they have already officially extended all 05 & 06 Legacy outback rear Wheel Bearings. They pulled up the paperwork for me and all and it said something like 100k and don't remember the years.

Ben (2014 Outback SAP w/ eyesite, 2014 Tribeca Limited, 2006 LGT limited sedan)

Subaru Ambassador PNW

Yes it is on Subarunet. I noticed it at work Friday. Many dealer's do not read the home page's memo's. If I recall it is 8 years/100k
[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

The actual TSB hasn't been released yet, but it should be out in a few days. I'm sure it will be posted on www.TheL7.com as soon as it becomes available.

Here is what is currently posted on the dealers internal site (Subarunet):

Subaru of America, Inc. has initiated an Extended Warranty Program for Rear Wheel Bearings on certain 2005 and early 2006 model year Legacy and Outback models. Coverage will be extended to 8 years or 100,000 miles.

During a quality review, Subaru discovered that there is a possibility that one or both of an affected vehicle's Rear Wheel Bearings may, over time, develop a noise condition that causes the bearing to produce a whining sound. This sound does not pose a safety issue and does not adversely affect the normal operation of the bearing. However, if the vehicle experiences this condition, it should be corrected by replacing the affected bearing, which will eliminate the sound. As a result of this finding and in the interest of customer satisfaction, SOA is extending the Rear Wheel Bearing warranty coverage period for the affected vehicles to 8 years (96 months) or 100,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

General information concerning this extended warranty program:

• Technical Service Bulletin number 03-58-08 will be posted on the Techinfo.Subaru.com website on or around May 5, 2008. The Bulletin will contain additional information concerning identification of affected vehicles, repair and claim submission procedures.
  • Since this is an Extended Warranty Program, no mailing lists will be provided to dealers. However, vehicles within the affected VIN ranges will be identified in the Vehicle Coverage Report found on Subarunet beginning early next week.
  • On or around May 5, 2008, SOA will mail owners of affected vehicles a letter advising them of the warranty coverage extension. A copy of the letter can be found at the end of TSB 03-58-08.
  • Most vehicles affected by this warranty extension are still within the original warranty coverage's provided.
  • Repair Parts - additional quantities of repair parts have been placed in inventory. Since this is a warranty extension only, we anticipate only a slight increase in demand after owners receive their notification letters.

SO it will be TSB #03-58-08 but that TSB is not in the system yet.

will they void the warranty if i have an aftermarket suspension? I need a mod-friendly dealer...

Well, if you were willing to make a cross country treck. Subaru of Santa Cruz is mod friendly :p

Ben (2014 Outback SAP w/ eyesite, 2014 Tribeca Limited, 2006 LGT limited sedan)

Subaru Ambassador PNW

Who knows right now. That would be up to SOA if they see enough warranty claims and they perform an inspection and check the quality of the bearings.I haven't seen any bad wheel bearings on any 08's yet compared to the others(not that there aren't any)
[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

I got the same letter from Subaru also

:whore:

Does anyone know how much this extended warranty would cost from SOA?

I'm probably the only person that has Wu-Tang Clan and Paul McCartney on their mp3.:p

Will this eventually include the 2008 Outback? My wife's car has 10K on it and already has a bad rear wheel bearing.

Well, with only 10k, the car is still under the original warranty.

This is for owners who have surpassed the 5/60 factory warranty and are having issues.

Well, with only 10k, the car is still under the original warranty.

This is for owners who have surpassed the 5/60 factory warranty and are having issues.

True, but with the past history on wheel bearings and now my wife's 2008 Outback loosing one at only 10K miles, it's telling me this problem may still exist. :spin:

Hopefully this is just a quirk and we never see this problem again!

It's a quirk that has been ongoing since 1990. :lol:

Replaced 4 in my 95 throughout the years, and my 94 needs one in the front right now.

I'm just waiting for the 07 to start making some noises. 10k miles...thats crazy.

I had my front right wheel bearing replace last tuesday @70k miles, under warranty with suspension mods..

BoozeRS05 - What were your symptoms?

Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

Mine was so bad the entire dash vibrated, even my rear view mirror started to rattle.. It was painfully obvious during literally all driving situations..

If you're on a straight section of road at ~50 mph, and you rock the car right and left, listen for vibrating on the outside cornering wheels..

True, but with the past history on wheel bearings and now my wife's 2008 Outback loosing one at only 10K miles, it's telling me this problem may still exist. :spin:

Hopefully this is just a quirk and we never see this problem again!

I got the letter yesterday. It thanks me for purchasing a 2005 and 2006 Legacy or Outback, so I'm guessing this issue is specific to those model years?

Archived