LegacyGT.com

So i installed an N64 in my car the other day

EquinnoxX

In playing with my NAV & from pieces of various other threads, i messed around with the composite video in on the back. Eventually it'll be hooked to a carputer, but for now all i had was an n64 with mario cart 64.

The console sits under the passenger seat and there is a controller under each seat. It took some work to the system under the seat, theres barely enuf room for it! I actually had to slide it under there and then put the game in. Ran the wires under the middle console. Took a ferry to the WBM and rocked it for almost the whole ride!

Pics attached. Its not permanent as its hooked to an inverter for power now, but fun nonetheless!

141_4140.thumb.JPG.622ae1034f794fbd031cb7a63eb27fad.JPG

140_4088.thumb.JPG.e274e74b43ff99860533e4283e643e44.JPG

140_4099.thumb.JPG.85bb0ac4232a7e5688228445c2b06ec2.JPG

140_4095.thumb.JPG.e4266e314dfa20384d7edcb997916fbc.JPG

141_4103.thumb.JPG.51c23d64bfc32a352c2b25629e61bb11.JPG

I believe the NAV is just a rebadged Kenwood unit. In the back of it there is a regular composite video input (yellow plug) as well as a molex connector for a reverse camera. For whatever reason SOA never decided to tell/advertise this to the legacy owners (that i've seen anyway). But sure enough, they can be used. The video jack on the back can take just about any standard video feed set to a 'normal' (ie tv) resolution. Most DVD players / video game consoles have a composite video out. The N64 just happened to be lying around so i used it.

For the audio plugs i just used an adapter to feed the audio cables (Red & White) into a headphone jack plug. Its pictured above. Once that was done, i just plugged it into the AUX jack in the armrest. Since all this was temporary, it was really the easiest way to do it with things i already had.

Most of the info is in pieces in the NAV hack thread going around, but this one is the best place to start ;-)

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1048572&postcount=167

is there literaly a yellow rca jack hanging behind the screen?

how does the input work then? if there is a signal on the rca does it over-ride the nav screen? is there a way to switch between nav and rca on the fly?

thanks for the info, i might have to give this a try!

is there literaly a yellow rca jack hanging behind the screen?

how does the input work then? if there is a signal on the rca does it over-ride the nav screen? is there a way to switch between nav and rca on the fly?

thanks for the info, i might have to give this a try!

Yes. In the link i posted above, there is a pic of the back of the unit which shows the yellow rca jack in the back. Once it detects a signal, pressing the 'INFO' button below the screen will change the input (kinda like the input button on a remote). It wont override the NAV screen unless the ebrake is up and even then you can switch back by pressing the 'MAP' button.

The 'INFO' button will switch back to whatever is connected to the rca input. Keep in mind tho that other measures are required to keep the input displayed while the car is in motion/parking brake off.

I also don't know if its the same unit on the '08's ... i would assume so but i could be wrong.

From what angle is the photo of the N64 taken? I am planning to put my carputer under the front seat, and I'm just curious to where you found the space.

The angle is from under the passenger seat looking toward the rear of the car. There is definitely not much space under there. I had to almost jam the console under there and then insert the game blindly after it was under there. It seems there is a load more space directly under the 'butt' part of the seat but almost none on either side of it to get things under there. i suppose you could always take the seat off and mount it directly under there that way.

The carputer is my ultimate goal, as games & movies would be simply awesome to have in car (for the passenger of course!). This was a test just to see if it was possible.

I'd say by far the hardest part of this was getting the console to fit under there. And then trying to hit the power button afterwards!

So, safety completely aside, will XiiiXiii's "Parking Brake Signal Ground" allow you to switch inputs while in motion?
Not exactly. The display unit has a wire which is actually connected to the parking brake sensor. You'd need to cut that wire and ground the end of the wire leading to the display unit. It's the solid gray wire.

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=19526&thumb=0&d=1149818735

See step 9 in the "How-to" thread at http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52355.

wow nice job...I am about to get a 08 spec b....and after seeing some info on other threads I was thinking about putting one of the new slim ps2's in the car so I could play dvds and also games, and be able to use wireless remotes...

If you were to permanetly put it in your car...were you able to see a way to get the audio into the stereo without using the aux in in the console? I mean i would want to be able to get the audio in but still have the ability to hook up an ipod without constant switching...Also did you just hook up your power inverter with the cigarette lighter in the cosole....do you think you could hardwire it?

wow nice job...I am about to get a 08 spec b....and after seeing some info on other threads I was thinking about putting one of the new slim ps2's in the car so I could play dvds and also games, and be able to use wireless remotes...

If you were to permanetly put it in your car...were you able to see a way to get the audio into the stereo without using the aux in in the console? I mean i would want to be able to get the audio in but still have the ability to hook up an ipod without constant switching...Also did you just hook up your power inverter with the cigarette lighter in the cosole....do you think you could hardwire it?

i thought about a ps2 for the exact same reasons but i didnt have one that i could use and figured a computer would be the best of all worlds. Besides i have a few of those lying around :-)

As far as permanently mounting it, hm. I've never seen the back of the head unit but maybe you could splice directly into the aux wire in the back and still retain the aux functionality -- u just wouldnt be able to use both at once i guess. I honestly think the aux would be the easiest/best way to go but just drill out a spot in the cubby for the wire for a cleaner install. That way if sound is needed, you just plug it in.

As it stands now, its connected to a 1 plug inverter in the cubby. There are many different ways to wire it up for power as this type of thing has been done before but i'd prob just wire it directly with an inverter and install a toggle switch somewhere for it. http://www.powerstream.com has some cool stuff for inverters.

that is awesome. you wouldn't happen to have an NES would you? duck hunt in the car. although it would be a little tougher to aim i imagine.

Although it would be effin awesome to play duck hunt with the gun and all, technically i don't think its possible to use a light gun on an any LCD screen. IIRC, the gun uses the glass of a CRT to reflect the light back to the gun to register the position, or something.

I know. I was crushed when i found out too. :(

• 8 months later...
Although it would be effin awesome to play duck hunt with the gun and all, ...

I was thinking more along the lines of Grand Theft Auto would be more appropriate! Maybe we could get to "drive it like you stole it" and make it feel real! (of course, without all of the unnecessary risk of incarceration or death...):p

Does anyone know what the other connector is for? I see from the instructions ( http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1048572&postcount=167 ) for the 07, there is a video, molex and some round connector. Also, what is the Molex connection for?

More inquiring minds want to know (read, "Mod")..

Molex connection is for a reverse camera. I honestly don't know what the other one is for... could be a console connection or maybe an external antenna??

that is awesome. you wouldn't happen to have an NES would you? duck hunt in the car. although it would be a little tougher to aim i imagine.
;);););)

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e144/penguinplunge06/DSC01238.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e144/penguinplunge06/DSC01244.jpg

And yeah, Duck Hunt no worky with the LCD

JDM'd All to hell

:cool:

Thanks Jimmy @ Hkc-Speed.com!

RIP Coxx & Thanks

mad = emo right?

Im planning on setting up my old X-Box soon under the passenger seat. Should be fun. My friend thinks Im simply getting a Regular CD player becouse "it doesnt have enough sound". Little does he know when we start driving down the road it will pop out a 7" toutch screen....yea, it will be worth it. Lets see his Camry do that!

Archived