LegacyGT.com

Daytime running lights are dimmer headlights?

I just purchased a 2005 legacy gt. It seems that the running lights are using the headlight bulbs.

If I turn on the running lights the headlights come on. If I turn on the headlights they just get a little brighter.

I also own a 2009 outback and the headlights do not operate this way. The headlights and running lights are two separate bulbs.

Wondering if this is normal for a 2005 or not? It doesn't seem normal but i know there have been minor changes between the 2005 and 2009 era.

Okay thank you very much. What's the purpose of the smaller set of bulbs in the 05 headlight assemblies then? In my 09 those are the DRLs and the others are only used as headlights.

I always wondered why people wanted to disable the DRLs but seeing how my 05 is done I understand now lol.

I can't remember how years ago I did it, but I isolated the DRL circuit and installed a switch. I put the switch inside the top of the fuse box. So, you open the fuse box lid and the switch is on the top of the bottom of the dash - if that makes any sense. It also makes a HID conversion kit work easier. Subaru changed this design configure in the 08 models. So, there are fewer people as the years go on with this type of issue.

Archived