LegacyGT.com

2004 Subaru Forester XT Transplanted into a 1995 Legacy

I am contemplating swapping a complete 2004 Forester XT into my 1995 Legacy Sedan. I could buy the complete forester for a decent price (wrecked in the front) and want to swap everything into my Sedan.

I would swap everything including the dash and interior. Complete wiring harness. I wonder if I am getting over my head http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/images/smilies/confused.gif

I will have plenty of free time soon (winter break from school)

Has anyone ever done this before? Does anyone have any recommendations?

I think this would be a very cool car once it is finished. I figure I will completely gut out the Forester and slower swap everything over. I know the dash is going to take some fabbing from what Ive read, but I feel the forester dash is way better looking than my 95 dash http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif

Please chime in and tell me im crazy or...... GO FOR IT MAN http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/images/smilies/banana.gif

Thanks for any advice........

or is it even possible???

I would call you crazy, but I am doing the same thing with a fully build motor and a few secrets up my sleeve.

Go for it, and keep us up to date. Many people around here have answers for you, and there is a lot of info around the forums.

Good luck!

Doubt the dash will fit but the drivetrain should be fine. And I would tend to stay away from swap cars with frontal impacts. ;) They tend to hide quite a bit of excess work that requires unexpected funds.

Should be interesting. You may want to head over to RS25 for your wiring concerns.

Slammed more than your girlfriend.

the engine swap is going to be difficult. the phase 1 / phase 2 line (2000) is very challenging to cross. you are going to have to rewire the harness, swap the ecu, and i don't know what else....

most people i hear from say it is not worth it.

but i don't know.

Motor and drivetrain will not be the difficult part. They should bolt in fine.

Wiring issues are to be expected, although there are quite a few companies out there that specialize in harness merges at this point. Iwire, ECS, and Broken have all shown there capabilities with the RS crew and the 2/3rd gen legacies shouldn't be any more difficult.

Air bag stuff is it's own entity and doesn't concern the ECU or motor. If your going to keep the harness complete you'll need to swap the dash and hope you have enough room for everything.

You'll still need to merge your

Window switches

Interior lights

Headlights

Tail lights

Some emissions wiring

Fuel level sender

etc...

It's not a simple swap even if you do manage to get the dash with the harness in as one. And another thing to remember. When swapping the dash you'll also have to swap heater cores which mean more holes in the firewall. It's much easier to have the harness merged by a professional so everything is pretty much plug and play.

• 1 year later...

I say go for it.

You'll have a whole car, so you really don't have to cut into the engine harness like that & most of the XT mechanical stuff should swap right over. An XT swap will be one of the best things you could ever do to that 95 Legacy, although you'll be stuck using Phase 2 stuff. Forever. Not that it should be a problem. >:D

Archived