LegacyGT.com

06/07/08 Spec B

Just wanted to share my experiences with the 3 for those who may be looking to purchase a spec b in the future.

I have driven all three and owned two. I recently sold my 08 for a higher mileage 07 because I am buying a house and was able to score a really good deal on the 07.

Im sure most of you would already know the differences between the three, cosmetically and mechanically, but I notice some differences between them.

First thing is the transmission, the 06 is no where close in my opinion as I used to be an STI owner, so the transmission was a huge let down for me. The 08 transmission is very clunky and notchy, not terrible, but much different from the 07. The clutch also feels weak and that it grabs too late. Instantly once I made the first shift in the 07, it felt oh so perfect, just like my 05 sti. Smooth, strong, and easy to go between gears.

The interior build quality also seemed much better on the 07 than the 08 and definitely the 06. A lot of rattles and things like the door feeling loose when opening and closing on the 08.

The 08 also seems to ride far to soft and sways far too much for my liking, it is a bit more comfortable than the 06 and 07, but certainly less of a drivers car. Ive heard you can put some springs on the 08 to improve the ride, which I do not doubt.

Obviously if you are looking to buy a spec B, test drive them and see what fits you best. They are all fantastic cars for those looking for a superb blend of performance and luxury. Nothing beats subaru awd, the main reason I go for the spec b, since MN winters can be harsh. Maybe my 08 was poorly built, but I would say before buying one, drive an 07.

Feel free to ask me any specific questions if you are in the market and Id be glad to offer my help.

thank you for your input but it's very subjective and what you described especially in terms of shifting depends on specific car, how it was driven and maintanance it has seen or hasn't seen and what fluids where used so saying that one year had better shifting over other is misleading for those that are looking to buy one. I have driven couple subarus and my 08 shifter is so damn smooth and precise I sometimes have hard time believing I am still in Subaru. I have never missed a gear, low speed 1st no problem, reverse no problem. See, there it is my subjective opinion. Suspension is the same between 06-08 right? Maybe they had different spring rates in 06 but I am not sure. I wouldn't be surpriced if they were softening spring rates in following years but I have never heard of it and used to read about spec b a lot.

In general my advise for people looking at spec B - don't see the point of buying 06. It's missing 6MT and r180 rear diff (?) and sure 06 has a lot of extra goodies and I would take it over GT any day but 07+ offers so much more.

Of course it's subjective. Which is why I said "maybe mine was built poorly". No need for the attitude buddy, just providing insight from my experiences. 08 looks a bit better, but not worth it in my opinion.

point me to a specific part of my post where you are seeing an attitude since I have missed that part

Archived