LegacyGT.com

Official Lowered Outback Thread V2

GTEASER

I finally got some new rims - 18" XXR 530s Matte Black offset +33 and 8.75" wide paired with 245/45 Potenza RE760 Sport. I love them. The 245/45 are fat and fit the wheel width pretty well. I was looking for a flush fitment from the new wheels, and they seem to poke just a hair. The rear fender is cutting away the tire after a road trip with a heavy load, even though I have the original Outback suspension, which is a huge disappointment. I'm buying a fender roller kit for $60 on amazon, which is cheaper than the local shop... $80 for just that back 2 wheels!

UNFORTUNATELY... the new wheels shake at highway speeds. I had them rebalanced twice at two different Pep Boys and a third time at Firestone. No one could fix it.

I bought hubcentric rings, have the conical/tuner lugnuts for the XXRs, placed the wheels on carefully using the star pattern for the lugnuts. I have new front bearings and axles.

After I rotated the front wheels to the rear, the shaking moved from the steering wheel to the rear of the car, so I know it has something to do with the wheels.

I called the distributor of the wheels (NLMotoring.com) and they said to get a road force balance, which I've never heard of but it seems like the next best idea... which is a wheel balance that simulates driving. Hopefully that fixes it :(

Here are the before and after pictures, the image of the original wheels were taken with a DSLR, the other is with an iPhone :/

Subaru_Outback-02.thumb.jpg.8350d2d4332fc5d7de6180cd17947062.jpg

1796530022_Subaru_Outbacksmaller-01.thumb.jpg.3a2aee47e098b13df3948bee90da3320.jpg

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure at one point i remember seeing a thread or page or something about how to trim an outback fender wells? I'm going to try my best to run 255/35R18 on my obxt but i'm afraid i'm going to have to finally do some more work than a half ass roll.

I'm pretty sure at one point i remember seeing a thread or page or something about how to trim an outback fender wells? I'm going to try my best to run 255/35R18 on my obxt but i'm afraid i'm going to have to finally do some more work than a half ass roll.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/rhitters-build-thread-248151p19.html

255/35 is pretty wide, I hope your rims are 9” wide! Make sure you have enough offset to clear your suspension as well. My 245/45 with 33 offset was pretty close to the spring seat. The wheel installers were quite surprised that they fit haha

Are those JDM wagon springs ?

Nope - They are the original springs thatt came with the JDM LGT (Rev A) Bilsteins. I got them from a JDM importer who only had the listing as JDM Legacy GT Bilsteing Shocks/Springs. Most people who use these struts try to pair them with an aftermarket spring, but I'm just using what they came with. I hafve no idea if they were off a sedan or wagon.

Thanks for the info, I have the same struts and springs from a JDM GT Wagon. When I start the install I'll find out if I will need saggy but spacers or not.

You will. Probably 3/4 inch. I had JDM wagon springs (not pinks) and I needed an inch spacer. Tried pinks, still needed an inch spacer.

Same here. B6's and JDM wagon STi springs, I use a 1" alloy Subtle Solutions spacer in the rear. Sits almost perfectly level!

MTBwrench's Stage 3 5EAT #racewagon 266awhp/255awtq @17.5psi, Tuned By Graham of Boosted Performance

Everyone knows what I taste like.

GTB Limited, how much dropped is your car? Or how big is the gap between wheels and fenders F/R?

365/360mm F/R, from the centre of the hub to inner edge of the arch.

That's with the 12mm (1/2" spacer).

I'm on 215/55/17 Uniroyal RS3's

Side profile:

DsatUGY.jpg

HTH

it gets easier, so hang in there. Put the toddler in lessons as soon as you can. At first it might seem like expensive day care, but there will be benefits down the line.

We put our twins in lessons at age 4, so we'd get a few hours of boarding in before we'd take turns with solo boarding and parenting. rinse and repeat until one of us throws in the towel (sometimes it was a parenting towel well before a physically tired of boarding towel). We'd had to pick them up at lunch time.

Age 5+ lesson they keep them from 9ish to 3:30pm. It's glorious. I'm usually pretty worn out by then.

or stay child free like myself and ski 75+ days a year on bachelor... just my .02 cents.

Great point. Let me go tell my wife to suck him back up and reabsorb him. Your .02 cents just changed my life.

I have a Subaru to work on, because I have a wife, and 2 teenage daughters. There's only so much a grown man can take before he finds new reasons to hang out in the garage, and "work" on the car. :spin:

Anyways back to low outbacks. I asked a question a couple pages back, what is the lower front bumper piece called that’s silver. Is it part of a specific bumper or an add on? Any help on this would be great. Scroll a page or two back for a pic of the red wagon with one. Edited by Daniels

Anyways back to low outbacks. I asked a question a couple pages back, what is the lower front bumper piece called that’s silver. Is it part of a specific bumper or an add on? Any help on this would be great. Scroll a page or two back for a pic of the red wagon with one.

That's because you missed my answer. ;)

That was a dealer option, which apparently wasn't too common as I get asked this all the time. :) I had no idea it wasn't factory on all outbacks until someone pointed it out! I have yet to come across any for sale.

But, after a little more research you're looking for Subaru part# 57734AG00B. Should run you about $100 if you can find a dealer that has one.

MTBwrench's Stage 3 5EAT #racewagon 266awhp/255awtq @17.5psi, Tuned By Graham of Boosted Performance

Everyone knows what I taste like.