LegacyGT.com

Considering a 5EAT Legacy GT....will it be durable for autocross?

BOS SVT

Hi all, for those who autocross, I am considering a 5EAT and wanted to make sure it will remain durable after a few season of autocross....any experience anyone. If it is an absolute that it will break at some point then I will most likely just get the manual, but wanted your experience and opinions. Thanks

I am not sure how long the 5eat lasts but from what i hear before you really do anything like that you should consider the following please correct me if i am wrong:

(a Must)Transmission cooler

IPT VB upgrade - for faster stronger shifts

AND Possible TQ Upgrade

I have yet to do either but i also don't run my car hard till i do them for a better longevity.

2008 6mt Legacy Gt Spec B DGM - Not so Stock/Work in progress

2006 5mt Legacy Gt OBP - Sold

2005 5eat Legacy Gt OBP - RIP

R.I.P Coxx

i autox my 5EAT and drag race it. it's fine. ;) our season is from end of April thru Labor Day-ish. 2-3 autox events per month and 2-3 drag racing per month. you definitely want a tranny cooler, especially if you are in warmer climates. depending on what class you want to start in, i would suggest upgrading your suspension, tires (the RE92's suck for autox!), and at least stg 1 or stg 2 (up, dp, cbe) with a tune for the throttle maps. last year I had one of the pro's take the car out for a spin (gutted OEM up, dp, midpipes and stg 2 tune) and he was completely floored how the car ran. he wasn't expecting so much low end torque. now i have the car set up on an STI (turbo, intercooler, intake manifold) swap and i lost a little of the low end torque, but can still get the car to spool up for faster times than previous. of course i am running in SM so that kinda sucks. still fun! you won't need to do a VB upgrade unless you are running a lot more power (stg 2.5+). and yes, i do use manual mode for tracking the car.
Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

• 3 months later...

Learn to brake with your left foot.

Do it all the time, every day. Then when you are autoxing it will be second nature. It will lower your times because you can keep the turbo spooled up with your right foot.

After you have done this for a year or so you will wonder why it isn't required practice for all drivers of autos.

Definately get the trans cooler, and everything else AKLGT said :)

Archived