LegacyGT.com

Thinking of buying a 97 subaru legacy sedan gt !! Help me please !!!

Hey guys new to this forum here, thinking of purchasing a 97 legacy sedan gt. Got a few question though, was wondering what you guys think of the car in regards to performance, quietness and pratical aspect of the vehicle. Also, was wondering if anyone had tried to remove the spoiler on this vehicle cause if i got the car, eventually i would like to remove the spoiler. Thanks in advance

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It will be pretty quiet if it is stock. I think it is a pretty practical car, does just about everything you need it to do and then some! DO NOT remove the spoiler, it looks really dumb without it IMO.

97 is the year to go with (only cause I got a 97 too, lol) IMO, and it is an amazing car. Does everything possible, and based upon your name you used to be Honda? Honda is garbage, so anything with a Subaru emblem on it is already a huge upgrade. As far as the spoiler thing, I was going to take mine off and see how it looked, but it wasn't fitting enough for the scooby. However an STI wing on there looked pretty unique and was ok, but I kept the stock one instead. Haha.

agreed keep the wing, I've been waffling on it, but saw a gt without it the other day and was like huh? it doesn't look good, but that's just my $0.02

mine's been through snow, sleet, hail, wind, and two seasons of hockey (fits two bags in the back!), and it's still ready for more. no, it's not cheezy, it's literally set. for anything. mine has the 2.2L from 98, so it doesn't have as much punch as a 2.5, but it's got plenty of torque after some mods so it feels pretty solid.

miles? headgasket replaced? cv joints? any recent service? pics?

Haven't actually bought it yet, but going to. Things wrong with it will be or already is fixed, won't have to worry about the mechanical side of the car. As for the spoiler, i tried looking on this forum for a second gen legacy gt with no spoiler but with no luck, I thought the gt version of this car comes with bodykit and the "L" version dosen't. Can someone correct me if iam wrong. As far as Honda goes, i still have the honda and will be keeping it untill it dosen't run anymore. Personally think Honda's are great cars. The subaru will be the second car for winter, longer trips, highway driving and rougher terrains.

My L had the spoiler (I never saw it with it on since it was rear ended when I had bought it). It has tape to cover the holes. I have yet to find a trunk with the spoiler to put on.

VanCity, if you go through all 34 pages of the What did you do to your Subaru today? forum you will find a couple pictures in there from WESTcoast, I believe that is who posted some in there. The GT's look a lot better than the L's IMO. If you aren't looking to get the better looking wheels, side skirts, spoiler, hood scoop, less powerful engine, or the better looking front bumper then you should get an L. So basically if you don't want anything fancy get an L but if you want your car to look pretty cool completely stock then get a GT.

I do like the GT version better, i think the gt version without the spoiler might look better though. I dunno if that holds true because i haven't seen one. Going to go through the "What did you do to your Subaru today?" and see if i can find some pics of wingless sec gen legacy gt.

. If you aren't looking to get the better looking wheels, side skirts, spoiler, hood scoop, less powerful engine, or the better looking front bumper then you should get an L. So basically if you don't want anything fancy get an L but if you want your car to look pretty cool completely stock then get a GT.

true, but if you want reliability get an L, you can always put GT skirts and other parts on it, and you wont have to pay for a new engine when the head gaskets go out in the ej25, i have a 2.5gt rear lip for sale(sedan)

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/EJ25Legacy/98%20L/DSC00178.jpg

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h125/djkool707/4403025689_ecba57c09e.jpg

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn106/scoobyjools/IMG_0522.jpg

Find out one thing about the car, it does not seem to have a cd deck, only cassette, which is wierd. Is it easy to put one in myself, not like i listen to cd's anyway. I guess i can always use a fm transmitter if its hard to put a deck in myself. Would look nicer with a deck in there though.

Archived