LegacyGT.com

Spark Plug Install Instructions

• Replies 870
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

www.bobthesparkplugguy.com Send away for a spark plug analysis after a few thousand miles :lol:

Use stock heat range plugs.

:lol:

You crack me up. I actually clicked on the link to see if someone happened to cybersquat it.

Another data point: I have run 1 step colder (LFR 7AIX) for approx 25K now with stage 2 (gutted DP, TDC map) without any issues. Will go with 1 step colder again.

Pull any random plug and see how they look.

^ Bro, if I pull just one, I might as well pull all. By this summer, it'll be about time to change. :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

In for updates once you do look at them. Driving sedate on 1-step colder plugs can mean trouble. Tuners generally tell you if you will require them but I've read in plenty places how people have supposebly cured knock events by going 1 step colder, or how 1-step colder is a must if you increase power by xyz factor, blah blah blah.

And then rao has a field day with this kind of shit :lol:

On an unrelated note I have been rubbing lotion on my CV boots daily. They look and feel better than my own hands.

I just finished my 60K with a set of the NGK 1 step cooler. Stage II with stock plugs up until now...

Everything seems just fine after 200 miles but I need to make it through a few tanks of fuel and do a bit more logging to be sure...

just changed my plugs at 75k. the plug tips still looked great and the gap was fine. I upgraded to a set of denso #7 iridium plugs. All i can say is that it wasn't too hard to get them out and in, as much as it was hard to get the plugs.. pepboys apparently don't know that a #5 plug will detonate in summer temperatures, and that the plug length is long not short! After 3 trips to parts stores because i didn't want to pay $90 at the dealership for plugs, My friends been building a Vg35 dett on an engine stand. after cross-referencing and realizing we run the same plug... it was clear what had to be done... he had to order another box of plugs for his motor :) Re gap and install. #7's dont like initial start up at 6 degree's but i dont think any car does... wish i had a block warmer.

just changed my plugs at 75k. the plug tips still looked great and the gap was fine. I upgraded to a set of denso #7 iridium plugs. All i can say is that it wasn't too hard to get them out and in, as much as it was hard to get the plugs.. pepboys apparently don't know that a #5 plug will detonate in summer temperatures, and that the plug length is long not short! After 3 trips to parts stores because i didn't want to pay $90 at the dealership for plugs

Why so much headache? LFR 7AIX (NGK, 1 step colder) are around $45 shipped from sparkplugs.com (at least, last time I checked). They have stock plugs too..

Thats what i said... its just a spark plug that most cars today are starting to carry. the upgrade was only because its what was available at my tuners shop. just gapped for a Turbo'd G35. I thought i was prepared, but its all good, now i can turn up the boost.

• 3 weeks later...

Just tried to change the plugs in my 07 LGT yesterday. A plastic pipe leading to the air pump was in the way on the driver side but it can be pushed out of the way with a little bit of effort. I wasn't however able to get the coil off the drivers side rear plug and could see no way to do it other than unbolting engine mounts which was more than I bargained for so I just put it all back together and decided a little more research was warranted.

Has anyone had any experience with changing the plugs on an 07 LGT? Any tips for me? If I did have to unbolt some engine mounts (I did this for my 05 WRX up-pipe install) which one/ones would I need and if I jack the whole engine up some will it make it all a lot easier? What torque do the mounts need when they are reinstalled?

Went ahead and changed the plugs and a number of things (at 61K), definitely running much smoother.

I was noticing some knock events under heavy load (track days), do you think that could have been cause by the one plug in the upper left that is all worn out? Any thoughts?

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj167/mattmw88/IMG_7800.jpg

• 1 month later...
I just changed my spark plugs. 81k and the original plugs still looked good. The idle now drops to about 500 before returning to it's normal 700. After the initial drop it seems to idle smoother than it did before i changed the plugs but it drops every time. Is this an ecu learning thing that will go away or do i need to do something?

Went ahead and changed the plugs and a number of things (at 61K), definitely running much smoother.

I was noticing some knock events under heavy load (track days), do you think that could have been cause by the one plug in the upper left that is all worn out? Any thoughts?

I'm pretty blown away you weren't throwing codes

yea, me too...I can't recall for certain but I think I was running an AP PTS stage 1 map at the time. Either way she's running great now!

And as for the RPM dropping very low after an ECU reset, you're right, it's just the ECU re-learning things.

I just wanted to add a note for the write up, to let the car run for a while after replacing plugs so the car can relearn its fuel map's other wise you'll get a check engine light with the cruse control light flashing at you and the car will want to stall after letting off the gass.

Not really my tuner, as much as a friend who Does it. Kevin primus from salem ma. Prime speed performance, and has been afiliated with BPR Barry primus racing. They've gotten some covers on a few magazines before. He's done some interesting swaps with some 4 didgit out put numbers no nitrus.

This post is awesome! Having been under the 05 Xt a few times I looked at the plugs and dreaded thinking about having to one day dig the plugs out.

Well 5-6hours later I have done it. Sure it took forever but I am very careful. Right tools, plenty of time and meticulous work habits. Worst one to dig out? drivers side rear. Had to disassemble the coil including the rubber boot "in place". The old plugs looked like they could go another 100k. Trust a mechanic to go digging around?

Thanks for the confidence inspiring walk through!

1493859738_05_outback003R.thumb.jpg.dc2411d776a711abc132a1d9894f0b43.jpg

1510408359_05_outback003.thumb.jpg.24dcbebd669004bb2d084ed8700f869e.jpg

100001651_05_outback006.thumb.jpg.b4ec93e3321a8445c61dc4143329de2c.jpg

Me and my cousin just changed my spark splugs today. It wasn't as complicated as we thought it to be. It took about 1.5 hrs or less. Just got our hands pretty dirty. I replaced with the ngk irdium IX...part #6619 from Autozone. My car has 70k miles, but the old ngk spark plugs still looked pretty good and could go for another 30k miles. But, I just wanted to get it done and not have to worry about it later on.

I found a good deal recently on Amazon for LFR7AIX (the one step colder plugs that many upgrade to). They also have LFR6AIX, and also the SILFR6 (OEM), but they say they only have 4 in stock at the moment.