LegacyGT.com

PC vs Swirls

We are halfway through the summer now and you have probably (hopefully) washed your car a couple dozen times this year already. Depending on your wash/dry tools and methods, there may be some swirling going on. I know exactly how easy it is to swirl up our LGT paint, so I'm with you when you complain that it is too soft or thin or whatever. It took me a couple months to get used to it myself.

If you have purchased a Porter Cable 7424 or 7336 then you have the right tool for the job of attacking your swirls. On a car that I detailed yesterday I was reminded that just busting out with the machine and a polish isn't necessarily the best or proper way to get rid of swirls. Paint care isn't a one step process, so I thought I'd post a couple tips on what to expect.

You can get several different varieties of pads for your PC. I haven't really found a brand that I like better or worse than any other brand, so go with whatever is easiest for you. The important thing is that you get the right type of pad.

Pads are typically colored the same to indicate their cutting abilities. Orange is heavy cut, yellow is medium cut, white is low cut, and black is no cut. You would use the black for applying waxes/sealants, white would be for paint cleaners or mild cutting compounds, yellow is for swirl removal and oxidation removal, and orange would be the big gun for serious swirls and paint contamination.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/Jngrbrdman/TransAm/pads.jpg

Just the pad alone isn't enough to take care of your paint problems. You have to use the right polish in combination with the right pad. I haven't really figured out the best way to explain how to do that yet. What I usually do is start with a yellow pad and Pinnacle XMT 2 and see what that does. I start with a fender and spend about five minutes on it polishing back and forth and up and down. I know it's not a Legacy, but here is the before and after result of that method on the fender of a 96 Trans Am.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/Jngrbrdman/TransAm/Fender-Before.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/Jngrbrdman/TransAm/Fender-After.jpg

Just one pass isn't always going to 'cut' it, if you'll excuse the pun. Sometimes you need to step down a level in abrasiveness of the pad and the polish. XMT2 and the yellow pad was causing a bit of hazing on the paint. Haze is where you get the swirls out, but you are left with lots of smaller scratches, or 'haze', that still cloud the paint. I step down from a yellow pad and XMT2 to a white pad and XMT1 to take care of haze. Hazing is exactly what I would get on my Legacy when I would polish, so stepping down and polishing out the haze is an important step to getting a perfect shine.

Here is the before XMT2, after XMT2, and after XMT1 on the hood.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/Jngrbrdman/TransAm/Hood-Before.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/Jngrbrdman/TransAm/Hood-xmt2.jpg

You can see the haze in that second picture. See how it still looks a little cloudy and the reflection isn't quite as clear? Here is what it looks like after a little work with XMT1 and the white pad.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/Jngrbrdman/TransAm/Hood-xmt1.jpg

Not perfect, but not too bad either. A couple more passes with XMT1 and it looked pretty darn good. Here is the spoiler before and after the polishing steps.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/Jngrbrdman/TransAm/Spoiler-swirls.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/Jngrbrdman/TransAm/Spoiler-after.jpg

I have seen Legacy paint look worse, but I have also seen it be repaired too. If your paint is in that condition then don't give up hope. All you need to correct it is a PC and a couple of polishes. What you would have to pay a detailer to transform paint like in the pictures above would be probably around $150. The investment in a PC and a couple polishes pretty much equals that, so your effort will pay for itself after only one use. :) Gotta love that.

Hopefully that helps a bit. I've had a couple questions PMed to me lately on what to buy and such, so I figured I'd answer you all at once in a thread. I have specific suggestions on what to buy on the FAQ page of OCDetails.com. Happy polishing!

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Great post, as always when you write about detailing. I wish you were closer. I would bring you my LGT for detailing... although you would have probably charged me extra for my harsh comments on your Pilot :lol:

Dam you, I just cleaned my car and now I feel like it wasn't enough. This may sound silly but when you polish with a PC do you need to apply it with 1 pad and the removed with another pad? I am planning on buying the PC. My swirls are very faint but when you really look into the paint you can see them. Plus, How did that car get like that?

Denial is your best friend

It doesn't take much neglect for a car to end up that way. All it really takes is a few washes with a gritty sponge and a coarse bathtowel. Paint isn't as durable as it used to be and our Legacy paint will swirl just by looking at it. It takes a little extra effort to keep it looking nice.

Man, you should have seen that car before I started. He claimed that it used to be his baby, but he just hasn't taken care of it for awhile. It must have been like red headed step child baby, because it looked like crap. Here is just the spoiler. You can imagine how bad the rest was...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/Jngrbrdman/TransAm/Spoiler-Before.jpg

OCDETAILS BLOG

Great post, as always when you write about detailing. I wish you were closer. I would bring you my LGT for detailing... although you would have probably charged me extra for my harsh comments on your Pilot :lol:

You are assuming that I wouldn't turn you away when you got here. ;)

OCDETAILS BLOG

I still have my valet key from my Legacy, so I'm still a Legacy 'parts' owner. :)

Actually, the pilot boards are no fun, so I figured I'd hang out here until Tide or someone finally bans me. :D

OCDETAILS BLOG

I still have my valet key from my Legacy, so I'm still a Legacy 'parts' owner. :)

Actually, the pilot boards are no fun, so I figured I'd hang out here until Tide or someone finally bans me. :D

Need to update your profile... No more Subbie FTL :(

I've got a pair of 500 watt halogens that I use to see the swirls. If you can get it looking good under that kind of light then it is going to look great in normal daylight. You can get a pair of lights like that for pretty cheap depending on where you shop. Sears has them on sale all the time.

OCDETAILS BLOG

Did you get some microfiber towels too, or did you already have those? You should get a couple of the grey ones with the red trim on them. They are awesome for buffing this stuff off. :) Congrats on the purchase!! Let me know if you need any help figuring stuff out!

OCDETAILS BLOG

Did you get some microfiber towels too, or did you already have those? You should get a couple of the grey ones with the red trim on them. They are awesome for buffing this stuff off. :) Congrats on the purchase!! Let me know if you need any help figuring stuff out!
I got them with this kit ,can't wait , hope it doesn't rain next weekend.:icon_bigg

Engineered Polishing System Deluxe Kit

Start a few Lance Bass threads. :icon_bigg

It is still ugly.

They should give you a commission check...........

...I wish. Actually, I'm glad that they don't pay me for my opinion. They know that the second they start sucking will be the moment that I stop refering people to them. :D I like being living proof that if you make a customer happy then it does good for your business. Piss one off and it can potentially lose you a lot of money. Dwayne and his team at DetailCity.com have always gone the extra mile for me and the boards I participate in, so I'm happy to send them the business. You guys rock for supporting them as a forum vendor!

OCDETAILS BLOG

...I wish. Actually, I'm glad that they don't pay me for my opinion. They know that the second they start sucking will be the moment that I stop refering people to them. :D I like being living proof that if you make a customer happy then it does good for your business. Piss one off and it can potentially lose you a lot of money. Dwayne and his team at DetailCity.com have always gone the extra mile for me and the boards I participate in, so I'm happy to send them the business. You guys rock for supporting them as a forum vendor!
Is your car the one with the Sunvisor in it.

:) Yeah. They saw the pics I posted here after I bought it and asked if they could use them on the site. I just bought another one for the Pilot, but Covercraft has been busy this year I guess and it is taking a little while to get here. Those shades are awesome. I won't ever own a car that doesn't have a UVS100 in it.

OCDETAILS BLOG

the Pilot boards are pretty dull.

I would imagine because Pilot owners don't mod their cars, blow them up, crash them, drive recklessly, and are a little older (read boring) demographic.

It is still ugly.

Yeah, Pilots aren't really automobile enthusiast cars. They are practical vehicles that serve a purpose other than racing. When you get on enthusiast boards like sports car forums you get a lot more discussion other than what OEM accessory someone bought today. Maybe I just don't get it, but I don't consider an OEM cargo mat to be the mod of the century. :lol:

OCDETAILS BLOG

OCD, (I asked this Q in another thread w/ no responses) but will I get any results using a finishing pad with no cutting action ( I have a meguires' one I got a a local shop) with a polishing compound (like Meguires cleaner polish) on a PC? I have VERY light swirls, and I'm afraid to use a more aggresive pad and polish. I figure I can start with a "no cutting" pad and let the polishing product do the work and see waht happens. Is this a proper approach?

Archived