LegacyGT.com

Bad Choice but I solved it

So I change my oil every 3K regardless if its amber, brown, or black. Well the 3k mark was nearing and I had to take a trip to D.C. ( about 4.5 our drive from my house in SWVA) The weather had been sucking majorly so I was unable to get under my car and dump the oil and filter. SO.......(sadly)..... I took my car to, dare I say it, Speed-Dee-Tune for a oil change :eek:. I said to the tech " give it 5w30 nothing fancy its a non-turbo :eek:

Now I know I was in the wrong for three reasons 1. I never pay for mundane maintenance or relatively user intense maintenance 2. The place was called Speed-Dee-Tune 3. I didn't specify the oil to use (they had tiers silver, gold , platinum)

My car has never sounded so bad in the 2 years ive owned it. The valve train is like a sewing machine and its only been 600 miles since the change and it started ticking and clacking directly after the service. Needless to say i will be changing the oil and filter today after I leave the office. And this further goes to show why there are a small number of people you can trust these days with your car no matter what make or model.

Wow! Hope there was no damage!

I do most of oil changes--when I don't, I take it to the dealership. It's pretty bad when a place can screw up an oil change; it's not rocket-science.

Good Luck! :)

Yeah I checked the receipt and it said " check fluid levels before leaving" I didn't care I wouldn't get them to fix it anyway. I'm dumb for going in the first place but never again. It is fixed good oil,good filter,happy Subaru

Yes it is unfortunate that a place that specializes in oil changes (quite possibly the easiest maintenance you can do to your car) can screw it up. We have a handful of customers that only come into the dealership for their major maintenance (30k, etc.) and have thier oil changes done at a "quick lube" place. The filters are usually the cheapest you can find, the drain plug crush washer has been re-used, and the oil itself is usually sub-standard. For the few dollars more it's going to cost you the 4 or five times a year it's not worth taking the chance.

Yes it is unfortunate that a place that specializes in oil changes (quite possibly the easiest maintenance you can do to your car) can screw it up. We have a handful of customers that only come into the dealership for their major maintenance (30k, etc.) and have thier oil changes done at a "quick lube" place. The filters are usually the cheapest you can find, the drain plug crush washer has been re-used, and the oil itself is usually sub-standard. For the few dollars more it's going to cost you the 4 or five times a year it's not worth taking the chance.

I agree I went and got new crush washers and filters ( Subaru Filters) from Fredbeansparts.com and my usual Rotella T 5w 40 ( for winter use to combat valve tick) and swapped that shizzle out. I only will take my car to the dealer for major issues like clutch, timing belt, etc . I too think that spending $7 extra dollars for a Subaru Filter and GOOD oil goes a lot further than other improvements in our cars

Speed-Dee-Tune

Man that should have told you something when you saw the name, and I have a 08 2.5 I and I change it every 7500 or sometimes 8K miles. Now I do check my oil and the color of it all the time. It is never brown or black. last oil change was 8400 miles and it was so damn clean. If I can't do it I take it to the dealer.

Speed-Dee-Tune

Man that should have told you something when you saw the name, and I have a 08 2.5 I and I change it every 7500 or sometimes 8K miles. Now I do check my oil and the color of it all the time. It is never brown or black. last oil change was 8400 miles and it was so damn clean. If I can't do it I take it to the dealer.

True that and the Logo is a oil funnel on wheels

There really isn't much difference at all from one oil filter to the next, they are all virtually made by 3 or 4 companies. They just stamp a million different brand names on them.

I know but within each company they DO make different grades like Purolator makes a really good PureONE filter but they also make shitty Mobile 1 filters as well. I typically use Fram or Subbie filters but the real key is sticking to your OCI

Archived