LegacyGT.com

Car Randomly Not Starting

I have a 96 legacy that will randomly not start. You turn the key and get power to everything but the car wont start not even crank over. This happens minutes after the are is started and or the first start of the day. Sorry not a car guy. I've tried using the micro switch under the dash with the car in the on position and that seemed to work a couple times and other times when that doesn't work I just let the car sit for 10-15 minutes then try again and bam the car starts. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.

This is a complete SWAG but when my 1997 experienced a similar problem it ended up being a loose battery connection at the battery terminal. The cable in question had a connector which was bolted to the cable and that bolt came loose. My current 1997 has a similar set up. I didn't notice it immediately as it is covered by a rubber cover on the battery terminal. Can't say this is your problem but it's quick and dirty to check.

Hi Bubba , Unfortunately with older cars they require continual maintenance due to wear and tear , rust , etc and if you are not into diy then it can become expensive and irritating . As Sunny has said its just by fiddling about under the hood making , remaking connections and doing routine servicing yourself that a lot of problems are avoided that age brings . Sorry I cant be of more specific help to you but your problem could be as simple as a dodgy connection to a sensor going bad and really the only way to solve it is to follow a logical path starting from a complete service of the car .

I have a 97 2.2 that's doing the same thing. I replaced/ rewired the battery terminal connections because that's what my initial thoughts were too. It was fine for a few days, then it happened again. My next try is the starter. I think it has a dead spot in it and it's kind of Russian roulette on where it is when I try to start it

Or, try moving the shifter (assuming it is an automatic). Every once in a while my car has the same symptoms, the neutral saftey switch doesn't understand the car is in Park and won't start. Moving the shifter (not even out of Park) is enough and the car starts right up.

try the easy , cheap, stuff first.

bad battery connections, they must be clean and tight.

this causes more ''no start'' situations than all other causes combined.

if it is an auto trans, try starting it in N instead of P.

or just wiggle the shifter.

have both the battery and the alternator chaecked for free at a parts store.

but be prepared to say NO if / when they offer to install a battery.

you may need one, but you may not.

do not assume they are correct.

their goal is to sell you something.

starter solenoid contacts,

try tapping on the starter solenoid with a broom stick when it will not start.

tap, do not BANG.

the starters them selves are very hardy and almost NEVER fail.

but the contacts in the solenoid that connects power to the starter get old, worn and charred.

you , or a decent mechanic, can replace them.($12 in parts)

another possible solution which i think is easier,

is to add a relay to the starter ignition circuit.

this sends strong power to the starter solenoid directly from the battery,

eliminating power loss due to old bad dirty wire connectors and components.

hth

Archived