LegacyGT.com

Question about steering ball joint/ control arm

Slide on ice into a curb this weekend, bent my control arm so I am replacing. I found a used control arm in good shape and it has the bushings but not the ball joint/ ball bearing that is apparently inside the spindle on my car (99 SUS) can anyone help me with what part I am looking for? is it an actual ball joint or just a bearing? and maybe where I can get one at a decent price.

Thanks all

if its the ball bearing are all of these on rock auto compatible?

ball joints for the 90 - 99 leagacys, all of them and the imprzas, outbacks too, are about 35 - 40$ at your local parts store.

but unless yours shows actual damage, i would reuse the one on your car and just replace the control arm.

the bottom of the ball joint has a ''bolt'', it's tapered just like the bolt for the tie rod end. they both have castle nuts and cotter pins.

so remove the pin and nut. disconnect the sway bar link from the control arm and use a hammer to pound down on the control arm. you may need to place a jack under the ball joint bolt , protect the bolt threads with a lug nut from the wheel. with the jack under the bolt w/ lug nut, use your hammer again to loosen the control arm.

if your ball joint is ok, this is much easier than trying top remove the ball joint. ESPECIALLY if you live in the rust belt. the ''pinch'' bolt that holds the ball joint in the spindle / knuckle assembly is very likely to bust during removal.

good luck.

ball joints for the 90 - 99 leagacys, all of them and the imprzas, outbacks too, are about 35 - 40$ at your local parts store.

but unless yours shows actual damage, i would reuse the one on your car and just replace the control arm.

the bottom of the ball joint has a ''bolt'', it's tapered just like the bolt for the tie rod end. they both have castle nuts and cotter pins.

so remove the pin and nut. disconnect the sway bar link from the control arm and use a hammer to pound down on the control arm. you may need to place a jack under the ball joint bolt , protect the bolt threads with a lug nut from the wheel. with the jack under the bolt w/ lug nut, use your hammer again to loosen the control arm.

if your ball joint is ok, this is much easier than trying top remove the ball joint. ESPECIALLY if you live in the rust belt. the ''pinch'' bolt that holds the ball joint in the spindle / knuckle assembly is very likely to bust during removal.

good luck.

I can do this myself? jack her up and take the wheel off then go by your directions. I have the haynes.. i guess ill look into it tonight and see if i should take it into the shop

Thanks again

Archived