LegacyGT.com

$150 Catless DP! Good or bad? HELP!

Hey i got a 09 LGT and i wanna go stage 2. Dont really wanna spend 300 for a dp i found this one. What you guys think? Has anyone tried it? Let me know. Thanks

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2005-2009-Subaru-Legacy-GT-2-5L-Turbo-Exhaust-3-Bellmouth-Down-pipe-/181510794842?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A2009%7CModel%3ALegacy&hash=item2a42e2ee5a&vxp=mtr

well, what your paid, and what your time is worth are two different things.

but what I meant is that there's a decent chance its not going to fit right, you're going to waste hours messing with it, and eventually pull it and install a part that is known to work.

Probably at least 10 hours of BS in there. So if you pay yourself $15 an hour, its worth it to just buy a decent part from the outset.

You can get a CNT Catless downpipe for $210 that will probably fit much better, for an extra $60 it would be worth it. Check the vendors up above and order one up!

03 WRB WRX (RIP)

04 JBP STI (sold)

07 DGM Legacy GT (RIP)

12 OBP STI (DD)

If you think spending $300 on a DP is "too much", honestly, you're driving the wrong car. What are you gonna do when (not just if!) your motor blows? $300 is a STEAL for a DP. Anyone here who's got a good one, spent about $500 - Just FYI.

^THIS.

You get what you pay for. Spend the hard-earned money on some quality products. People that value their vehicle will fork the cash. And $500+ is what you need to mind. I picked up a GrimmSpeed limited edition Ceramic coated and catted downpipe that would normally run ~$900+ from their website for less here on the forums. Keep digging around and you may find a good product like Cobb, INVIDIA, or anything that actually have reviews about them.

Add me to the list of people who spent $300 of hard earned cash on a good one (invidia). . . because it's worth $150 extra to know it'll fit right and is actually made from stainless, not recycled Chinese toys and orphan tears.

. . now I'm wishing I'd gone ahead and spent $500+ for a catted one, because of the smell, loud exhaust note, and generally being a douchebag to the environment.

I see it as if it's made from good stainless and fits. Than what the hell If it flows it flows. Makes no difference to me in design. Example cnt $210 or cobb $500. It's not really worth it for me to spend that kind of money when I can spend it on other performance parts.

There are no other performance parts in that price range that are going to make as big of a difference In power then a downpipe and a solid tune. $300 for the pipe and $150 for an etune is going to increase horsepower and torque on an otherwise stock LGT more then anything else you can buy and install in that price range... its def worth the money!

03 WRB WRX (RIP)

04 JBP STI (sold)

07 DGM Legacy GT (RIP)

12 OBP STI (DD)

None of us have heard of or used this $150 DP. Some of us have used $300 + DP's and had fitment issues.

That's all were saying. May be this $150 DP will fit perfect. Buy it and try it. Both my cars have Invidia DP's.

Do you know the 5eat DP is different than a 5mt DP ? Not sure which tranny you have.

What are you doing for a tune ? Is your car a 05 or 06 ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• I Donated Too
Hey i got a 09 LGT and i wanna go stage 2. Dont really wanna spend 300 for a dp i found this one. What you guys think? Has anyone tried it? Let me know. Thanks

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2005-2009-Subaru-Legacy-GT-2-5L-Turbo-Exhaust-3-Bellmouth-Down-pipe-/181510794842?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A2009%7CModel%3ALegacy&hash=item2a42e2ee5a&vxp=mtr

Someone tell me whats the diference between a 500 dollar dp and a 150 dollar dp.

One says invidia the other dosent? If thats the case then stfu. Accessport works fine for me fyi.

Asks for opinions/help....doesn't like what he hears...gets mad...tells experienced members to STFU.

Yeah, you'll do fine, moron.

P.S. - Please buy that POS DP and report back on your progress!

Are you guys insane?? It's just a pipe! as long as the flange surfaces are straight who cares?

People who spent big $ on theirs are probably mad you found a cheap one. As max said even the expensive ones have issues sometimes. Spend your money on parts that matter not a bent metal tube.

Like jyax said keep an eye in the classifieds section. I got my UP DP and Borla catback from a member on here that ended up being somewhat local to where I was for a screaming deal. I pretty much bought a downpipe and got a catback and UP for free. The deals are out there you just have to be patient.

2005 Vader Wagon

Material Tests on Ringland Failure Piston

I should have held off and purchased a wagon instead of the spec.B

I see it as if it's made from good stainless and fits. Than what the hell. If it flows it flows. Makes no difference to me in design. Example cnt $210 or cobb $500. It's not really worth it for me to spend that kind of money when I can spend it on other performance parts.

I don't know what other "performance parts" you would spend the extra money on?

Look, design costs money. If you want a pipe, go to Home Depot and get some Black Iron and mix and match fittings. It's just a pipe.

Engineering costs money, supply and logistics costs money. Quality parts actually save you money.

Here's some more cost-efficient go-fast parts: Costwise Performance Link

I tend to agree with the minority here. If it fits, it fits, and that's certainly cheap. Go for it and let us know the outcome either way.

Got my Cobb DP on Craigslist for an amazing deal, but it doesn't fit great.

Parts from brand name companies like COBB and Invidia cost major bucks because you are paying for R&D, better manufacturing process, better QC and better materials.

When you buy cheap parts from no name companies, something (or everything) has to give. If it is an imitation pipe, the cost savings comes from not having to do much (if any) R&D other than getting a COBB/Invidia pipe and then cloning it. QC is always crap. Manufacturing process will be crap. And materials will be cheap.

If it is an original design not based off existing designs (Cobb/Invidia/whatever) and it is still cheap, then you have to expect that R&D is still nil (otherwise it would cost more to properly design a pipe), QC is crap again, materials are cheap again and manufacturing process will suck.

In the case of cheap materials in a pipe, it's not really a huge deal. Maybe you'll get some more corrosion/rust, but other than that, no big deal. Manufacturing process... if the joints are all soldered properly and the bends are all mandrel, then that's great, but bad manufacturing process can lead to bad fitment. QC can lead to bad fitment. And no R&D can lead to bad fitment.

So there you have it. What your biggest concern should come down to is: FITMENT.

What are the consequences of bad fitment? They CAN be:

1) Lost time - that's why someone asked you how much your time is worth before because next on my list is:

2) Lost money - if you're paying someone else to do the work, now you're out of time AND money. Both to remove and reinstall and/or make modifications to things to make sure it fits

3) Wasted money - If the fitment's really bad, you won't be able to get it to install properly at all.

Archived