LegacyGT.com

08 impreza, 5mt holding revs/throttle

Hi guys, I'm a new owner of a 08 NA 2.5 impreza,

The car has 107 000k has had the head gaskets and clutch done, they also used OEM head gaskets, arent they just going to fail again ? and also they cracked the threads where the oil pressure sensor goes into the head for the variable valve Timing, I'll be looking at that later

But the problem I'm having is that its holding revs when I push in he clutch and it takes 2-3 seconds And then they will come down, Its worse betwen 1 -2 shift, and 2-3 isnt the greatest, for example it will hold revs like 3000 wih the clutch in and waiting wih my gear shifter in 2 waiting to relase he clutxh, now if I put it in neutral and leave it there the revs drop like they should,

Also if I'm on the throttle Let's say in fourth or any other gear and let go of the gas peddle it takes 2 seconds for the he throttle to let off,

I was googling and it could be a ecm update pack file, I checked for a vacume leak quickly, doesn't seam to be related to that, maybe IAC related, I'm going to put in my computer and see if I can see if advanced timing is changing or Maf reading,

It doesn't seam to be a really known problem from what I can see

Thanks

Sounds like a vacuum leak, but you've said you checked that...

Have you cleaned the MAF sensor if 2.5i have one ?

do you have the service manual ?

There's a thread in the General Chat forum about show me your vacation pix's check it out.

or this may help http://people.csail.mit.edu/ilh/vacation/

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Just thinking out loud;

manual tranny is not connected to the vacuum system.

What could the clutch pedel have to do with engine rev's...? are there any wires around where the pedel moves ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

A guy in the link below had a problem with revs holding (among other issues), and it ended up being from a ground not being bolted down after doing a lot of work on the car. I don't think this is your problem, but it is possible.

http://www.rs25.com/forums/f13/181416-revs-hold-high-idle-spitting-idle-after-hg-replacement-2.html

How does the clutch pedal feel? I'm wondering if the clutch was maybe not installed properly and is slow to disengage.

those are some good ideas, that manual is huge !

now also what I noticed, is the revs fluctuate from like 500-700 to 2500, no mater what gear im in, coasting at any speed with the clutch in, until either i come to a full stop, or put the lever in neutral,

im also wondering if they messed up the install on the clutch and its making interference, but it should all the time, even rolling at like 2 mph it fluctuates the idle,

now i have the torque app, and while its fluctuating, my relative throttle readings are jumping from 6.3 ish to 4 %, not even touching the pedal, and if im completly stopped its at 2 % and the throttle position manifold reading is at 13 % on idle,

timing advance also fluctuates with the revs from lets say 30 - 15 or 10, il have to check the manual for specs, i think it would make sence for it to, unless its the knock sensor kicking in ?

theres a PID i just noticed called relative accelerator position, il have to watch that one tomrrow on the way to work,

thanks guys

im going to have to check timing, who knows, its only sohc but someone might of still screwed it up, it seamed at a high revs like 6 k you can hear a little something like piston slap or like valves hitting the pistons ? thingy but that could be because of that slight oil leak reducing the pressure in the advance cam ? doubt it, it takes a few teeth to make enough of a difference on the old ones without advanced timing, I have to adress that first though, ( oil leak and timing check)

some one has done that to this car, added an extra ground under the car, now i check timing the only what without pulling the entire cover, and both arrows point straight up with the timing at zero,

In the manual it says relative throttle possition - so there's no set figure at idle,

I inspected the intake and vacume lines, and noticed alot of oil in the intake, pulled the electronic pcv valve ( what i think it is) and its hollow, nothing in it ?

look here

http://travisgagnonmedia.com/subipcv.jpg

and the pinging is like something rattling in the trans/gear shift i think, nothing to worry about really

Just thought I'd let you know that I'm battling similar issues at the moment with my 05 lgt. I am also having issues with the bcm power and ground supply. I am going to dig into the grounds tomorrow and double check them, but I will be checking back here for updates!

One idea that might be stupid, but is the car thinking that it's an AT gearbox car while you have an MT gearbox?

I think that there's an SSM parameter that you can read to find out what the ECM think about which type of gearbox it has.

OK, it's a long shot... But it doesn't hurt to read the SSM parameters.

453747.png

So i looked with our shop computer at work and cant seam to find ssm parameters, the only thing i notice is the throttle possition maybe being off, but it can be fluctuating because its trying to compensate for something,

I think im just going to bring it to the dealer, not the greatest dealer, but worth a try, it really seams like a computer issue because if im rolling down the road in neutral the revs act normaly

Along with the two lower grounds on the heads, there are grounds behind the driver side head and the one above the dog bone mount under the tmic.

On the left side of the picture just above the valve cover you'll see two bolts, those are the grounds.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/DSCN4778.jpg

Just realize that the neutral switch itself may provide sufficient voltage pull-down to compensate for the ground fault.

I have seen a similar issue - on a vehicle that behaved badly when turning left I added a lamp just to watch the ignition pulses and suddenly the problem disappeared. A short thought over Kirchoff's laws rendered me to suspect a ground fault of the EMS on that (non-subie) car - and I was right. It was a home-wired (or maybe I should say hobo-wired) solution.

453747.png

well i looked up the wire schematic, this is what it looks like,

does'nt seam to be a ground for the neutral safety switch or the clutch,

its all connected to the ecu,

http://www.travisgagnonmedia.com/08subarumantrans.jpg

the clutch is a power 12 +

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah if i had gotten to this thread earlier I was going to tell you two things:

1. You probably need the ECU reflash per SOA (all 08-09 N/A EJ253)

2. Even after the reflash the revs are going to hold b/c of the rev holder feature per the stock tune. For folks not familiar with the N/A platform it could be interpreted as a "problem" (not bashing anyone) at first it is annoying that the revs dont just fall off like in a typical manual vehicle but youll get used to it and life goes on.

Some people tune this feature out but its purpose is to promote "seamless shifts" :lol:

As far as the HG's you done, did the car blow them or were they weeping ?

Archived