LegacyGT.com

5th Gear not engaging...

The car is an auto. It started two days with 5th gear spiking in rpm's as I would shift into it. The car would impart the sensation that I was in boost, but wouldn't go anywhere. This led me to believe that the tranmission was slipping. However, earlier today, my fifth gear became totally unresponsive, as if I were in neutral. In addition, the car promptly threw a P0700 code. Now my car can't shift into fifth and I have no idea what to do. Any insight to what the problem may be? Thanks.

I'm wondering if you've completely burnt out that gear by say WOT in 5th?

Could be. I've heard people loosing their 5th gear on the forum. That was on manual trans though. Apparently, that gear is not as tough to handle lots of load. That's my understanding anyway. So it is a good idea to avoid WOT in 5th.

I hope it isn't that! Though, I didn't hear a pop when it occurred, perhaps that may or may not be a good thing? Would that require a whole new transmission? BTW, I almost never ride fifth up high into the rpm's.

Sorry. I was driving normally, around 40 mph and the car just wouldn't allow fifth to engage, no pop or noise anywhere. The car is sitting in my driveway right now until I can take it to the dealer.

Hmm, being a college student nothing is really cost effective. I thought the tranny would be safe until I graduated; I only have 86,000 on the car. If I were to sell it, would you suggest first fixing the tranny?

Thanks for the help. I already set an appointment up with Miller Subaru so I'll report back. Would you suggest letting the dealer install it?

dealers are typically very expensive to do any work. Friends + beer is how I'd do this project.

It's unfortunate, but I don't have any friends who would even be able to tackle that kind of task. Would it be worth it to swap a 6 speed in at this point? I plan on keeping the car as long as my financial situation permits.

You could go either way...either rebuilding your current trans or betting that the used trans you purchase will be reliable.

Unfortunately there's no path here that won't result in a lot of money changing hands. You could however save a lot of money by pulling the trans yourself and taking it to a shop.

I have the time, but neither the space nor the knowledge to be able to pull my trans. So, I would presume building my current tranny would be the best best? That way I know what's going into it. Is there anything you would suggest upgrading or reinforcing if do indeed rebuild it? Sorry for the litany of questions.

You could definitely look into the climberd valve body upgrade. If you plan on modifying your trans, going with a independent Subaru shop is the way to go. Most dealers don't like to modify cars from the stock specs.

Give SJ Suby Works a call. They're a newer shop, but the owner Ralph has been working on Subarus for a long time. They're located in Runnemede. I should've thought of that earlier.

Gotta love dealerships. They called me back, and told me that there is indeed a problem with the transmission and it needs to be rebuilt. They offered to rebuild the tranny for $2000. Does that sound like a good deal? I'm going to call the place stoplight suggested before I make any final decision.

Gotta love dealerships. They called me back, and told me that there is indeed a problem with the transmission and it needs to be rebuilt. They offered to rebuild the tranny for $2000. Does that sound like a good deal? I'm going to call the place stoplight suggested before I make any final decision.

:(. Sorry to hear.

Archived