LegacyGT.com

2006 Legacy 2.5i wont start sometimes....

So my 2.5i automatic (40k miles) wont start from time to time. What I mean is that when the key is turned, it does not even turn over, and all the electrical is working (lights, radio, etc).

So with the key turned to the On position, I hear a constant noise under the car, which I think is the fuel pump. This noise stays in all gears (Park, Reverse, Drive). It does not make the noise in neutral.....And heres the kicker.....

I am able to start the car in neutral :lol:. Wish I would have knew that the first time it didnt start...I was literally stranded in a parking lot for 20 minutes until the car finally started.

I tried searching on here and didnt find the exact problem as me in any threads. But the ones with similar problems pointed to the ignition switch or starter.

Can anyone give me some help before I take the car to a mechanic?

Thanks.

I had a similar problem with an old Camry I drove. The mechanic said that it just had trouble recognizing that it was in park some of the time, but it wasn't a big deal and I didn't pay to fix it. It was 12 years old at the time that I was driving it, so I just dealt with it and put it in neutral when it wouldn't turn over.

I think the mechanic said something about tightening a wire. If you've ever had your console apart and seen what the e-brake function looks like, with the wire that pulls tight when you set it, and then slacks when you take it off, I think its something similar to that, but with the position knob instead of the e-brake.

It's cool; I'm with the band

I had a similar problem with an old Camry I drove. The mechanic said that it just had trouble recognizing that it was in park some of the time, but it wasn't a big deal and I didn't pay to fix it. It was 12 years old at the time that I was driving it, so I just dealt with it and put it in neutral when it wouldn't turn over.

I think the mechanic said something about tightening a wire. If you've ever had your console apart and seen what the e-brake function looks like, with the wire that pulls tight when you set it, and then slacks when you take it off, I think its something similar to that, but with the position knob instead of the e-brake.

Thanks....but with this car being only 4 years old, Id love for it to start normally lol.

Guess I'll have to take it in to get it checked out.

Archived