LegacyGT.com

Check Engine Light

So driving home got a check engine light. made it home and pulled up my torque app (which by the way is absolutely awesome) and got the code P0400. Exhaust gas return. i went ahead and cleared it. is it a very big deal and will it affect how it drives, or...?

Thanks

Yes the egr valve could cause running issues. There's two main parts that will fail, the egr valve itself or the egr VSV aka vacuum switching valve or solenoid. To check the egr valve pull the vacuum line off the top then hook up a vacuum line to the top. Now start car and suck on the hose you installed on the egr valve, the engine should want to die or just die. If it does then the valve is good. Next would be to remove the VSV, which is located near the egr valve but tucked and bolted on the intake manifold and hook up a 12v power source and also suck and blow through the vacuum ports off the valve. What should happen is when no power is applied you shouldn't be able to suck or blow air through the valve, then when you apply the 12v you should. If both parts check out then maybe the egr ports are clogged with carbon. I have rarely came across clogged ports though. GL.

Check the hoses that go to the egr valve. Make sure they are clear. Especially the metal tube that leads to the BPT (Back Pressure Transducer), and the BPT itself. All these tubes are small and can clog over time.

O.

Archived