LegacyGT.com

Good All-season tires for Utah

keithk831

I bought my LGT in July, and since the car came from SoCal, it has new BFG g-force sports on it now. Today was the first real snow of the season, and i'm less than impressed with its snow handling (accelerating straight ahead was fine...turning and braking was horrible). They are otherwise excellent dry weather tires.

I'm considering a good set of A/S tires. We tend to get a fair amount of snow here, but usually not more than a couple inches on the roads. What would be a good A/S tire to compliment the AWD? Cornering and braking traction seems to be most important to me since the AWD is great for moving.

On my Grand Am GT I had a set of Goodyear TripleTreds. They had good traction but were also too firm and you felt a lot of the road. I'm also looking for a more comfortable tire.

Suggestions?

We gotta know where you're gonna go with the car, to be able to really help you with suggestions. Unless you're running up to Sundance daily, I highly doubt you're going to need a full dedicated winter tire like was suggested.

I'm on my 4th set of tires and haven't been really happy yet with one exception: Yokohama a520 was given to me for free by Discount tires after my BFG g-sports were gone in less than 20,000 miles, and they've were pretty good in the snow on my snowy sloped driveway and tons of miles to Alta twice a week. Pretty good in the snow, much better in the wet than the BFG's. EXCEPT: WORN TO 3 OR 4/32NDS IN ABOUT 20,000 MILES AGAIN!!! Discount tires again will warranty them for me in the spring and they've said its the last time they'll warranty a tire on mileage for me. All tires that fit the Audi and Subaru no longer have a mileage warranty on them for the WRX/LGT sizes according to the Discount tire manager I was dealing with. Yes I drive like I stole it and especially love to drive the canyons and it eats the tires to shreds.

Again, when I hear you ask for an All-Season tire, I hear that you're not looking for a dedicated winter snow tire for you to be at the ski resorts daily, but a decent A/S tire. I've liked the Yokohama except for the mileage, but think I have to pay to play.

I'd PM jdmchizad for his suggestions. Sounds like he's put a million miles on a subie in our area and might have some decent advice...... Best of luck!

Well, to be honest I don't go up the canyons that often. Usually it's just around town driving, up to SLC, etc. So the roads I usually drive on are plowed (at least you'd expect them to be) frequently. But sometimes when the snow accumulates quickly, it'll get to 2-3 inches before being plowed.

I'm usually driving between Provo (home) and Orem (work and school). I don't think dedicated snow tires are really needed for my kind of driving. Plus I don't have room for an extra set of wheels.

again, I'd PM jdmchizad and get his 2 cents. He's definitely put a ton of wiinter miles on our roads and likely will have a very decent suggestion.

And yes, it's about time we're talking about driving in the snow around here!!!!

Also, for what its worth, I was at Wheel Werks last week and they have storage for your extra tires it you need it. If your BFG's are still good but you want winter type A/S tires,they have storage options for your extra's if you're tight on room.

again, I'd PM jdmchizad and get his 2 cents. He's definitely put a ton of wiinter miles on our roads and likely will have a very decent suggestion.

And yes, it's about time we're talking about driving in the snow around here!!!!

Just did. Yeah, with 4 Subarus i'd say he knows best :lol:

I know SLC has had snow on the ground in the last couple months, but today was really the first real snowfall of the season in Provo. So yeah, time to start talking tires!

Also, for what its worth, I was at Wheel Werks last week and they have storage for your extra tires it you need it. If your BFG's are still good but you want winter type A/S tires,they have storage options for your extra's if you're tight on room.

Well, I wouldn't mind parting with these tires if I can find a good set of A/S tires.

yeah, but today was a blast. My street actually was frozen ice rather than snow!!! They plowed, salted, it melted and then froze again. Brings back memories of 4 winters in Iowa and the frozen tundra it becomes for days with low temps, humidity and ice storms!!! I'm so glad we're in Utah!!!!

i've yet to hit real winter driving, but will very soon (it is snowing and i'm at work) but so far i do like the cooper cs4 tires i've got. compared to a high performance all season tire, they are a slight step down in dry conditions, but decent grip still (at first they do feel a little spongy, but they settle after a while (a couple hundred miles)). i'll know more tonight about winter driving. and they are just fine on wet ground. they are an 80K mile tire (don't know real world mileage).

ok, just drove around for about 2-3 hours last night in the snow. the cooper tires are decent, but no winter tire performance. for an all season tire i would rate them about a 9 out of 10. not perfect, but not bad either. with proper go juice you can get the rear end to slide out nicely. stopping ability was good for the slicker streets on a down hill, going straight line running over slick piles of snow left over from snow plows doesn't cause for unnerving feeling, car stays decently right and true (meaning it does scworm a little bit going 50 mph). as for play ability, the tires allow for good manuvrability while enjoying some uncontrolled slipping.

all in all i would say if you are a compitant winter driver these tires will be all you need to get through the winter. if you are skiddish and scared of driving on the snow, you'll need better winter tires than the cooper cs4's.

I live in Utah as well and have been researching the same thing. I think I am going to go with the ExtremeContact DWS tires. They seem to be the best for what I am looking for. I post an update on them later after I put them to the test.

Loving my set of Conti DWS after our recent utah valley snow - bought from onlinetires.com...installed at discount tire....out the door for less than 450.

FWIW I had a set of Kumho LX Platinums before the DWS....the kumhos were more well mannered on the highway, with very little noise, but the DWS are slightly stickier. As soon as there was a decent accumulation sunday morning, I went and played in the Town Centre mall parking lot and i was actually having a difficult time losing control....if you're skeptical, I have no problem showing you what i mean:lol:

FWIW most of the major roads between provo and orem stay pretty clean anyway...(parkway, univ. ave, state, etc.) I really don't think you would need snow tires.

Loving my set of Conti DWS after our recent utah valley snow - bought from onlinetires.com...installed at discount tire....out the door for less than 450.

FWIW I had a set of Kumho LX Platinums before the DWS....the kumhos were more well mannered on the highway, with very little noise, but the DWS are slightly stickier. As soon as there was a decent accumulation sunday morning, I went and played in the Town Centre mall parking lot and i was actually having a difficult time losing control....if you're skeptical, I have no problem showing you what i mean:lol:

FWIW most of the major roads between provo and orem stay pretty clean anyway...(parkway, univ. ave, state, etc.) I really don't think you would need snow tires.

You're in the Provo/Orem area? Do you have the debadged swp lgt with HIDs/Bluish headlights? If so, i've seen you a few times. I'm impressed with the prices at onlinetires.com...way cheaper than discount tire.

ive been pricing out new tires as well. im set on a "yokohama avid h4s". they have great reviews and excellent treadwear. and in a 215/45/r17 they're only 90$ a tire on tire rack. only downfall is no rim protector. so im a little worried how they'll look.

Yeah they do a good job at keeping the roads plowed and cleared. Thats why I am not going for a full snow tire. I am thinking more for when I go visit my parents and inlaws who both live up in the mountains... Not to mention if I can get out for some snowboarding/winter camping this year. The Conti DWS should handle that just fine.

I would like to see your car though. Are either of you Utahns a part of slcsubaru.com?

You're in the Provo/Orem area? Do you have the debadged swp lgt with HIDs/Bluish headlights? If so, i've seen you a few times. I'm impressed with the prices at onlinetires.com...way cheaper than discount tire.

It's probably me - there's one other SWP with hids...the difference: You'll hear my fatty genome cans and turbo spool from a mile away:lol:

Online tires does have good prices, but my pops once got a bad tire from them, and they refused to do anything about it. He filled a chargeback with his credit card company and got his money back, and kept the tires.

If your BFGs are anything like the ones i had on my IS300, they're horrible on anything but dry pavement, and even then they're waaaaayyyyyy too damn loud.

I've never connected with anyone form slcsubaru. I went to a nasioc meet here and there when i lived in texas, but got sick of all the 16 year old wrx creed. Gone to a couple of LGT.com meets, but that's about it. I love the older, non teenage demographic that comes along with the LGT.:spin:

It's probably me - there's one other SWP with hids...the difference: You'll hear my fatty genome cans and turbo spool from a mile away:lol:

Online tires does have good prices, but my pops once got a bad tire from them, and they refused to do anything about it. He filled a chargeback with his credit card company and got his money back, and kept the tires.

If your BFGs are anything like the ones i had on my IS300, they're horrible on anything but dry pavement, and even then they're waaaaayyyyyy too damn loud.

I've never connected with anyone form slcsubaru. I went to a nasioc meet here and there when i lived in texas, but got sick of all the 16 year old wrx creed. Gone to a couple of LGT.com meets, but that's about it. I love the older, non teenage demographic that comes along with the LGT.:spin:

Yep, I have seen your car at Target a few times. I used to get your car confused with Digi's since you both have TX plates :-) In fact I may have seen your car on 500N in Provo, too. I live on 500N.

Yeah these tires suck in the snow and ice. Otherwise they are very sticky on dry pavement. I'm not on slcsubaru either. We should meet up sometime soon and go for a spin! Love to see/hear your car and "experience" the DWS tires :-)

Yeah, I saw that...I think i'm sold on these. Some people complain the sidewall is too soft, but I wouldn't mind NOT feeling every bump in the road for a change. And increasing the tire pressures can change that as well.

Now I just gotta figure out how to spend almost $500 when we just bought a bunch of Christmas presents. Hopefully I can find a buyer for my summer tires.

Archived