LegacyGT.com

Hotchkis is developing sways for 05 legacy

NonovUrbizniz

http://www.hotchkistuning.com/cgi-bin/EDCstore.pl?user_action=detail&catalogno=22433

They're a pretty well respected domestic company...

The sways they made for the wrx/sti are 1". I'd imagine they'll be the same for the legacy...

I take it as a good sign though, as they normally do a full line of products for a car and price them VERY fairly...

springs and sways for a wrx are only 541.95.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But those aren't hollow yummy weight saving bars...

Oh, please. No flaming intended, but let's look at this. Let's presume, for an instant, that a Hotchkis bar weighs half what a stock swaybar weighs. A stock swaybar weighs 5 pounds. The 20mm bar weighs only a bit more, at almost 6 pounds (yes, I did weigh them). So, if the Hotchkis bar weighs half what the Subaru bar weighs, it comes in at 3 pounds, which affects performance, if you're viewing weight as a consideration, not at all. It's absurd.

If you want to claim that a hollow bar is stiffer, and therefore more effective, you would have had a contention to stand on. Or if you just want to say "Hollow bars are cool," that's alright, too. But weight just isn't cutting it.

There are lots of things you can do that will save you more weight than a Hotchkis swaybar. Run without the spare. Leave the spare and jack at home and carry a AAA Motor Club card. Don't forget that we're talking three pounds, here.

See what I mean? It's why I say that people should just own up to a mod. As far as anyone knows, a swaybar is a swaybar. Just because it's Cusco blue or Hotchkis, doesn't make its 20mm more magical. Further, the larger you go in swaybar size, the more suspension independence you lose, and the more your car begins to evince unwanted handling artifacts. Bump steer, anyone?

If people want a Hotchkis bar, that's cool. More power to them. It's their car. But understand what you're getting, and why you're getting it.

Kevin

The hotchkis bars will most likely be 25mm front and rear... that's probobly going to allow for a LOT more rigidity than any other...

As far as I know the largest bars offered now are 23mm.

Plus hotchkis is a VERY respected name in suspension... it's all they do.

And the bars will most likely be red for those who care.

Oh and a set of front AND rear 25mm hotchkis bars will probobly cost less than a single rear JDM sway bar... under 300 for the set I'm sure.

Unless those are very soft 25mm bars, that is far too large for a car of the Legacies weight for anything except gymkhana. On real roads you'll be skipping sideways over mid-corner bumps. This pretty much eliminates the term "independent" from your suspension front and rear.

Cheers,

Paul Hansen

http://www.avoturboworld.com

http://www.apexjapan.com

...and they're hollow. A hollow bar has less bending resistance of a solid bar of the same diameter. In other words, it takes a bigger hollow bar to do a smaller solid bar's job - which by no means is a bad thing (to an extent).

Hotchkis makes quality stuff and I'm real sure they'll ENGINEER something that will work great on this car.

Their bars for the Imprezas are top notch.

Their endlinks are about 1/2 the price and are lubed and fully adjustable.

...and they're hollow. A hollow bar has less bending resistance of a solid bar of the same diameter. In other words, it takes a bigger hollow bar to do a smaller solid bar's job - which by no means is a bad thing (to an extent).

Hotchkis makes quality stuff and I'm real sure they'll ENGINEER something that will work great on this car.

Their bars for the Imprezas are top notch.

Their endlinks are about 1/2 the price and are lubed and fully adjustable.

The JDM Subaru 20mm bar is also hollow, fyi. Nobody is questioning the quality of the Hotchkis bits, merely whether they are necessary. Then again, I don't hail from the "Bigger is better" swaybar school.

Kevin

So has Hotchkis said the bars will be 25mm?!?!

This is funny...kinda like my HID thread. You guys...

Nobody has definitively said they will be 25mm (which would be absurd, IMHO), but merely reacting to the assertion that they will "most likely be 25mm" from a Hotchkis acolyte.

If the Hotchkis bar is, say, 20mm, it makes waiting for it, versus getting a stock JDM 20mm bar, even more unfathomable.

Kevin

The 25mm comes from their site... for whatever reason they offer 25mm bars front and rear for just about every car they produce them for.

http://www.hotchkistuning.com/cgi-bin/EDCstore.pl?user_action=detail&catalogno=22400

http://www.hotchkistuning.com/cgi-bin/EDCstore.pl?user_action=detail&catalogno=22404

From what I can tell they engineer the bars for the stiffness increase desired... the thickness of the bar seems to be ALL 1"... the stiffness I'm GUESSING is determened by both the mount positions and bends in the bar...

If you look here there are 2 sets available for the WRX... BOTH are the same size front and rear but they offer different stiffness increases...

Competition:

Front 1" (25.4 mm)Hollow +88%

Rear 1" (25.4 mm) Hollow

3 Position Rear +71%, +123%, +200%

http://www.hotchkistuning.com/cgi-bin/EDCstore.pl?user_action=detail&catalogno=22407

Street

Front 1" (25.4 mm) Hollow +88%

Rear 1" (25.4 mm) Hollow

3 Position Rear +50%, +90%, +160%

Again like I said... I'd trust hotchkis with designing a proper set... suspension is ALL they do.

Hey guys - just joined the forums and have been reading up and wanted to say that the hotchkis bars will be top quality. I have a set on my current car (Acura RSX-S) and love them... granted the rsx has an entirely different handling characteristic than the LGT being fwd etc..

I actually have the Hotchkis sways,endlinks,fstb and every part has been top notch.

Archived