LegacyGT.com

Lower Ball Joint Bolt Broke... HELP

whitelightning

I was attempting to replace the passenger side cv shaft and when I tried to remove the lower ball joint retaining bolt... pop. Game over. I tried drilling it and using a bolt extractor and I trashed that too. How do I get this out and will a hardware store carry a bolt that will work? This wasn't a reverse thread was it?

Nope, they are not reverse thread, but they do rust like a SOB. Get some PBlaster in there and let it soak, put a MAPP gas torch on it for a bit to heat up the knuckle. If all hope is lost on extracting it then you might be able to drill and re-tap it carefully, or drill through like MMS recommended. Might be a good idea to look for a spare knuckle though. P/N for the front right knuckle is 28313AG02A. They probably go for ~$120 new from a dealer. Contact FredBeans or m sprank@Infamous Performance and they can help you out.

Gotcha. Actually someone else just suggested that. I also decided after all this happy horse sh*t to replace the ball joint. Advance auto sells a ball joint with the new pinch bolt. I think I'm gonna run a 5/16 drill bit down which won't hit the threads and try to tap the one side again. Worst case I grab a 3/8 and a longer bolt. The part I'm worried about is the smooth half of the bolt. Will that matter if I don't have that and put a nut on the other side? Seems like it's so some idiot won't over tighten it. Same idiot who snapped a bolt inside.... it's a talent to trash important parts of this car like I do so consistently.

its not under load when driving, the strut is. so it may go in but it may go out. depends on the tension of the bushings i guess. but i would not advise driving on an unseated ball joint with no bolt. i would be weary of even limping a vehicle across the shop like that. the risk of damage and failure is greater then that of success.

I guess you messed my thread about, buy the knuckle and new ball joint. Spend the money up front and then have a mechanic do the work because you need an alignment anyway.

I had my guy replace my left ball joint and after the nightmare, had my buddies at the parts counter at the dealership deliver him the new kunckle.

My mechanic buddy will order a kuckle and ball joint whenever one of these cars comes in for the ball joint. It works out in less labor and cheaper to replace both parts.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/ball-joint-replacement-186404.html?t=186404&highlight=ball+joint+replacement

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

When I was replacing my CV axle, I greased the ball joint and knuckle and I "think" it helped seating the ball joint back to knuckle. Without grease it did not seat in completely.

I used the floor jack and I also disconnected sway bay endlink.

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll51/LMT16/12%20cv%20axle/IMG_0831.jpg

Why an alignment?

Because the new ball joint.

It will change the aligment. Unless something has changed since I started driving in 1970, it has been standard practise to get a alignment after major frontend work.

Sure as, ball joints, struts, idler arms, pitman arms.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived