LegacyGT.com

97 GT Auto Trans chatters and bucks, help please

keckslegacy

Hey Everyone,

My Dad has a 97 Legacy GT 2.5 DOHC with AT trans. The car is just over 100K. Recently when pulling out in a turn (right or left), the transmission is bucking. When straight it is fine. The trans shifts smooth. Its just the bucking an clunking when you put out while turning. Last night I did a test drive for him. He thought it may of been a bad CV joint, but its quite clear that isn't the issue.

here is what I did.

1. From a dead stop, made hard right turn. there was a lot of clunking and bucking until I turned the wheel straight. Same for dead stop and making left turn.

2. Checked AT fluid, fluid looks ok.

3. Checked transaxel fluid, level OK.

4. Inserted fuse in the FWD box to disable the AWD function. When the AWD function was disabled, the clunking and bucking stopped 100%.

So my guess is that there is an issue with the transfer between the front and rear wheels. My dad is not an aggressive driver.

Does anyone know if this is a common problem on GT's?

If it is a known problem, is it better to have the original trans fixed or find a new one? For example, i have already located one with 32K and they want $595.00 (shipping included).

Thanks everyone,

keckhttp://images.nasioc.com/forums/images/smilies/confused.gif

I would get under there and double check all the CV boots and joints as well as the rear axle shaft. Start with the easy stuff first. Disabling the AWD may just mask the symptom since there is no rear transfer. Also, if the trans fluid has never been changed, it's way overdue. I don't think the 4EAT uses sealed viscous couplings, so the transfer clutch is probably bathed in trans fluid (or separate diff fluid which needs to be checked). If that fluid is worn out, or low, then it could cause chattering.

Archived