LegacyGT.com

Recommended oil filter?

Which oil filter would be recommended for a 2005 gt? So far Ive seen

Bosch 3300

Fram 6607

Mobil 1 M1-108

It seems to me all these filters are tiny...what are you guys running and which part # and brands for more capacity.

Thanks

Would using a oil filter specified for a different car model void my warranty though? I purchased a lifetime warranty and dont want to run into that issue if it comes up since Ill be doing my own oil changes. I just dont like the smallish filters for our cars.

The RX8 Filter is the same filter Subaru used for the FA motors before they shifted to the crappy Honeywell Fram filters produced in the US. Besides they cannot void your warranty unless they can prove that particular part didn't meet specs and was also the singular cause of the failure.

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

More important to change the oil often. If you change the oil and filter often and use a good filter. it doesn't matter what filter you use, I still err on the safe side and use Bosch Longlife even though I change my oil every 3k miles.

More important to change the oil often. If you change the oil and filter often and use a good filter. it doesn't matter what filter you use, I still err on the safe side and use Bosch Longlife even though I change my oil every 3k miles.

actually using a filter with the correct bypass valve setting is quite important. Not all filters have the correct bypass valve settings. Purolator stands out as one who lists lower than correct PSI.

2003 Baja 5MT

Would using a oil filter specified for a different car model void my warranty though? I purchased a lifetime warranty and dont want to run into that issue if it comes up since Ill be doing my own oil changes. I just dont like the smallish filters for our cars.

The RX8 Filter is the same filter Subaru used for the FA motors before they shifted to the crappy Honeywell Fram filters produced in the US. Besides they cannot void your warranty unless they can prove that particular part didn't meet specs and was also the singular cause of the failure.

Look up the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act it covers this.

FWIW, I used Fram filters and 5w-30 Mobil 5000 or Shell, or Exxon oil, sometimes in warmer weather Rotella 15w-40, that was on sale at Walmart for the first 154,000 miles. Never had a oil related issue. I got 142,000 miles on the OEM turbo.

The important thing it to change the oil and filter and keep records of what you used and the mileage and date. I keep a little pocket note book with everything I do on the car. The dealer copied it once to cover a tranny rebuild.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 3 weeks later...

Wasnt there a thread on this already

Where the guy gutted every filter on the market pretty much?

I seem to remember it was the purolator pure one"

That was the best?

Btw i totally agree with above statements , as long as you change them often

Your fine

And check your oil often!

In the morn before starting

Been running Mobil 1 110 filters for a long time. Same pressure settings as the 108 (OEM equivalent), but a longer body. OEM on various Honda/Acura V6's I think. Plus M1 High Mileage 10-40 from Wally's.

Pretty sure the current OEM filter supplier is Fram - there was a thread on the topic a while back.

Wasnt there a thread on this already

Where the guy gutted every filter on the market pretty much?

I seem to remember it was the purolator pure one"

That was the best?

Btw i totally agree with above statements , as long as you change them often

Your fine

And check your oil often!

In the morn before starting

Unless they have updated their parts the Purolator filter has WAY too low of a bypass value setting. It's like 14psi instead of 23psi.

2003 Baja 5MT

Archived