LegacyGT.com

Looking to coming back to Subaru, Reliabilty Questions!

Offtrac

So, I had an 01 LGT Limited for a little under 18 months and moved on to a 03 G35 Sedan. Well since then I have moved from Texas to Massachusetts and now the RWD G35 Sedan is not looking like the best option for New England.

I am considering getting an 04+ LGT. Looking at consumer reports online it appears that the 04-05's have some reliability issues with the drivetrain. What are somethings that I should look out for, or model years to avoid?

Thanks in advance!

Specifically what I am referring to is the 05 Turbo has poor ratings for the Engine, Transmission and Drive system for reliability and overall the 05 model.

The 06, is marked down for drive system again, but overall solid and the 07,08 seem pretty solid.

There was a wheel bearing issue with 05-06, that Subaru issued an extended warranty for. There are reports of the turbos dying after ~60k on the '05s, this may be fixed in the later years (07+ use a VF46 instead of the VF40). Either of these would cause the marks in Consumer Reports.

You have to be careful reading CU, as newer models almost universally do better. For an interesting comparison, get the back issues of the CU buying guide and look at how the reliability of a model year evolves over a 5 yr span.

I would say that the subaru reliability is better than most cars. With an AWD turbo sedan there's simply more things that can go wrong, so you won't get the same reliability as a NA toyota camry. The non-turbo Subaru's are pretty darned bulletproof, but they've got less HP and fewer things to go wrong.

Similar threads:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124712

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124534

I've put 50,000 miles on my 08 LGT this year so far. It had a rear brake rotor warp (badly) which was fixed under waranty, and it blew a strut (which was just and excuse for coilovers). Other than that, no problems at all. The car has 60,000 on it now. Reliability seems good so far.

Thanks guys!

I test drove an 05 LGT over the weekend and am sorry to say I dont think I will be getting one. It feels to small for me.

thus they made it bigger and people still complained :lol::spin:

Current:MY05 SWP wagon - 253/290 :rolleyes: UP, AEM CAI, Invidia Q300, tuned@yimisport

OLD: MY06 GRP - 274/314 :cool:

I'll chime in here, I've got one of the higher mileage GT's at 130k. other than replacing normal wear and tear items the car has been bomb proof. I drive 60miles a day sometimes a little more and I love it.

oh, and I'm replacing my passenger side rear wheel bearing again. :mad: replaced it in 07 and it phocking is going bad on me again. figured I've got a few months on it before I'll put a new one on.

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

Specifically what I am referring to is the 05 Turbo has poor ratings for the Engine, Transmission and Drive system for reliability and overall the 05 model.

The 06, is marked down for drive system again, but overall solid and the 07,08 seem pretty solid.

My 2005 LGT was a squeaking, rattle trap by 35K. The car also had some issues with fuel injectors going bad, headlamp bulbs burning out frequently, oil consumption, and the power window regulator on the driver's side front door had a malfunction that ruined the glass on that window. The windshield also cracked on a hot day and I never could find any evidence of a rock strike near the crack. The stock battery was a POS too and never gave very strong starting in cold weather, but at least it is an easy fix.

it's those hella-flush wheels you run man!

:lol: yeah......right.:rolleyes: then hows come the other 3 haven't gone yet in 130k?

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

thus they made it bigger and people still complained :lol::spin:

An inch here, and inch there, come on

Wheelbase 104.3 " 105.1 "

Front track 57.5 " 58.9 "

Rear track 57.5 " 58.5 "

Front legroom 43.3 " 44.1 "

Rear legroom 34.2 " 33.9 "

Front headroom 38.1 " 38.7 "

Rear headroom 36.6 " 37.1 "

Front shoulder room 53.9 " 54.4 "

Rear shoulder room 53.6 " 53.7 "

Luggage volume 12.4 cu.ft. 32.1 cu.ft.

Luggage volume (max) 12.4 cu.ft. 61.7 cu.ft.

Passenger volume 91 cu.ft. 97 cu.ft.

An inch here, and inch there, come on

Wheelbase 104.3 " 105.1 "

Front track 57.5 " 58.9 "

Rear track 57.5 " 58.5 "

Front legroom 43.3 " 44.1 "

Rear legroom 34.2 " 33.9 "

Front headroom 38.1 " 38.7 "

Rear headroom 36.6 " 37.1 "

Front shoulder room 53.9 " 54.4 "

Rear shoulder room 53.6 " 53.7 "

drive a 2010 and theres a lot mroe room

Current:MY05 SWP wagon - 253/290 :rolleyes: UP, AEM CAI, Invidia Q300, tuned@yimisport

OLD: MY06 GRP - 274/314 :cool:

drive a 2010 and theres a lot mroe room

+1

They are very roomy inside. If you're buying a car, then you always have the option of the Gold Warranty. It's expensive, but will almost suredly save you $$$ on a car with the complexity of the turbos. If you're only concerned with reilabilitiy and performance isn't an issue, then I would consider the NA subarus. As it's been said before, they are virtually bulletproof.

Err, wrong stats... 2010 is on far right.

Wheelbase 104.3 " 105.1 " 108.30

Front track 57.5 " 58.9 " 61.60

Rear track 57.5 " 58.5 " 61.80

Front legroom 43.3 " 44.1 " 43.00

Rear legroom 34.2 " 33.9 " 37.80

Front headroom 38.1 " 38.7 " 40.30

Rear headroom 36.6 " 37.1 " 37.50

Front shoulder room 53.9 " 54.4 " 56.30

Rear shoulder room 53.6 " 53.7 " 56.10

+1

They are very roomy inside. If you're buying a car, then you always have the option of the Gold Warranty. It's expensive, but will almost suredly save you $$$ on a car with the complexity of the turbos. If you're only concerned with reilabilitiy and performance isn't an issue, then I would consider the NA subarus. As it's been said before, they are virtually bulletproof.

I'd dump my LGT in a heartbeat if Subaru built an NA Legacy that had at least a 50/50-split AWD system. I'm not too hot on the 90/10 split FWD-biased "Active AWD" system that's currently in the NA Legacy's.

+1 to the 2010's having significantly more interior room. I like it!

Update

Archived