LegacyGT.com

getting the itch for a turbo automatic

currently rocking an 08 2.5i automatic and liking it, but it is simply not fast and i have grown tired of it. you guys are going to laugh but i prefer an automatic transmission. i test drove an 07 WRX limited (auto trans, leather) with 56k miles but walked away as the carfax showed 1 crash and 5 owners. used car dealer droped the price from 19k to 16.5k right on the spot...seemed sketchy

also found an 06 legacy gt with only 36k miles on it. 1 owner, pvt seller for $17,800.

i hate to have to sell my 2.5i being that i just got new snow tires and had the brakes resurfaced and new pads but i need turbo!

any buying advice? anything i should look for?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you can afford it, grab that 06 LGT before it's gone. 36k original miles? That's crazy! Trust me, you won't be thinking anything about your 08 once you own the LGT. Power aside, all the extra trim add-on's alone from the GT will make you feel better.

My 2 cents. Feels like a no-brainer to me. Like I said though, if it's feasible for you. $18k is not pocket change for most of us, heck it's twice as much as I paid for my 09 2.5i Special Edition in mint condition.

i would have to get a loan, snap up the GT, sell my 2.5i ASAP (which i hear is a pain in the ass, i've never sold a car). but i fell it is worth it for such a minty GT, especially since it has the transmission i want

are automatic legacy gt's rare? seems everyone wants the stick shift (i understand why)

new update: the used car dealer with the 2007 wrx limited called and dropped the price to $15,000

here is what's wrong with that car from what i could see:

-brakes are squishy..might need new brakes or just pads

-plastic splash protector shield on bottom gone

-front driver side weather stripping has a hole in it

-rear passenger side trim coming off

-been sitting for 2 months (car was dead when salesman @ dealer tried to start it)

-interior missing some screws and has loose trim panels here and there

-lots of rock chips in the bumper/hood

-carfax shows 5 owners (mind you this is a 56k mile car...sketchy) and 1 accident

-aftermarket intake...clearly grandma wasn't the previosu owner

engine FELT good, but then again i've never driven a turbo. i'm not going to make any quick decisions until i see the Legacy GT, but i am tempted to offer $13k for the wrx ltd if they have the brakes fixed and the weather stripping fixed. i dont think the used car dealer will have much luck selling the car as the salesman admitted nobody want the automatic and it has been there for 2 months already

advice?

IMO stay away from that WRX. 5 owners in 7 years...

No, automatics are common. 5mt wagons are not.

The best of these cars are 07-09 Spec B's.

05-06 GT's have a few issues that need to be addressed. catted up pipe should be/needs to be replaced with a catless one.

The small black o-rings between the intake manifold and TGV's whould be replaced with the larger orange ones.

The fuel line clamps under the intake manifold can leak when its cold out.

The factory tune on all these GT's is not perfect, you should get the car tuned ASAP.

Learn how to check the oil and keep it topped off, its not easy to get a true reading.

That's the short list.

Look through the forsale forum on here.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

+1 to Max's advice. Also, get something with as low miles as possible -- Have you followed how much rebuilds cost us? See my Shopping List and rebuild thread for what you could possibly have to endure.

On that note, be prepared to have a turbo rebuilt. Two things this car has an appetite for: Turbos and headlights.

-plastic splash protector shield on bottom gone -

-been sitting for 2 months (car was dead when salesman @ dealer tried to start it)

-carfax shows 5 owners (mind you this is a 56k mile car...sketchy) and 1 accident

Sounds like this car has had a hard life. This is just the stuff you know about. There's probably much more that you don't know about. If you can get a legacy do it. Much nicer/quieter/better looking than the wrx, and somehow seem to be less expensive too. And I'd always recommend buying from a private seller, who knows the history and maintenance of a vehicle. Buying from a dealer who knows nothing about the car's history is asking for trouble.

Also, the legacy has a 5 speed electronic auto. I don't know if the wrx has this, but if they have the 4 speed, it's a much slushier gearbox. The fourth gen legacy is a seriously nice car. But as mentioned, it has it's quirks, but I'm sure the wrx does too.

the WRX's interior looks primitive compared to the legacy, especially this particular one (since pieces are loose and it's missing some screws). the only reason the wrx is tempting is because i may be able to get it at a steal of a price. nobody wants it b/c it's automatic and its been sitting at the used car dealer for at least 2 months. But it wont be a steal if 3 months down the line my ONLY car is constantly having issues and stuck in the shop!

I recently sold my bigger turbo 03 wrx wagon (5mt) that I've had since '05 with 110k.

I replaced it for a AUTOMATIC SWP Legacy GT Limited with 138k. They only thing I miss about my WRX was the simplicity to change the radio out. I'm not keen on spending $400ish for a kit to get a double din in!

I also work for a dealer, so I have access to a lift & tools and mechanics, lol. soo.. I didn't mind buying a higher mileage one.

yes it is very sketchy, the more i wait, the worse it sounds. what would be a good offer for it?

i will, at the very least, wait to see this minty low mileage legacy gt before making any kind of move on the wrx ltd...will look at the lgt on black friday (owner out of town)

yes it is very sketchy, the more i wait, the worse it sounds. what would be a good offer for it?

i will, at the very least, wait to see this minty low mileage legacy gt before making any kind of move on the wrx ltd...will look at the lgt on black friday (owner out of town)

Limited or no?

new update: the used car dealer with the 2007 wrx limited called and dropped the price to $15,000

here is what's wrong with that car from what i could see:

-plastic splash protector shield on bottom gone

engine FELT good, but then again i've never driven a turbo. i'm not going to make any quick decisions until i see the Legacy GT, but i am tempted to offer $13k for the wrx ltd if they have the brakes fixed and the weather stripping fixed. i dont think the used car dealer will have much luck selling the car as the salesman admitted nobody want the automatic and it has been there for 2 months already

advice?

One of the things I consider when looking at a used vehicle is the little things such as trim piece fit and finish, missing screws, cigarette lighter (if so equipped), etc. The fit and finish of these things indicates to me the level of care an owner had for their vehicle.

If you're serious about considering the WRX I highly recommend you take it to a qualified Subaru mechanic for an inspection. Someone who knows this particular vehicle inside and out and what the common problems are.

Manual if your looking to upgrade things. Auto if your fine with the stock feel. Stage 2 is a good way to dynamite your auto trans.

Also nada the wrx and it will give you an idea what the dealer is in it.

you can easily go stg 2 on your auto, its not going to blow it up at all

Edit: for the OP, the auto on the legacy is better than the WRX auto, its a 5EAT vs a 4EAT on the WRX. also a stage one tune (off the shelf from cobb using an accessport) will not only make the engine healthier, but also its a huge difference from stock and feels so much better

you can easily go stg 2 on your auto, its not going to blow it up at all

Edit: for the OP, the auto on the legacy is better than the WRX auto, its a 5EAT vs a 4EAT on the WRX. also a stage one tune (off the shelf from cobb using an accessport) will not only make the engine healthier, but also its a huge difference from stock and feels so much better

QFT! I still maintain Stage 1 felt amazing. (For the like, week I had it.)

Archived