LegacyGT.com

car wont fill with gas

Went to the gas station to fill up 05 LGT...tank will not take fuel from gas pump or out of a non pressurized gallon jug. Probed the filler neck with a copper wire, no blockage. A venting issue of some sort. Where to begin?

When you normally fill your tank (before this problem) do you try to get every last drop of gas into the tank, or do you stop when the auto stop on the pump cuts the first time?
All I need now is a hill holder and a center passing light...

you can access some of the venting from inside the trunk. behind the liner. there is a block of foam covering it. remove the foam (it is just wedged in) and you can get to some of it. sounds like a venting issue.

Went to the gas station to fill up 05 LGT...tank will not take fuel from gas pump or out of a non pressurized gallon jug. Probed the filler neck with a copper wire, no blockage. A venting issue of some sort. Where to begin?

Just to note, probing a fuel vapor filled tube with a conductive rod is probably a bad idea :cool:

I've seen this issue, typically when the charcoal canister system isn't functioning properly. Either one of the valves is d/c or malfunctioning, or a tube is crimped etc. Have you touched anything down there recently?

When you normally fill your tank (before this problem) do you try to get every last drop of gas into the tank, or do you stop when the auto stop on the pump cuts the first time?

I pull it out when it stops. M sprank...I think you are correct. I ran a coated wire down the small hole by the fill hole a ways and must have unblocked something...gas was going in from the container which it was not previously. I will try the gas pump tomorrow. Kaos22b...I havent touched anything by the canister and am tentatively relieved I may not have too...good point on the conductive metal.

If you are ever forced to do this with conductive metal, always ground yourself and the rod first AWAY from the tank (rear door area to unpainted metal on the chasis. Then ground to the filler neck and ensure it constantly stays grounded.

If you have jumper cables, you can put one lead to the back of the rod, and one to a ground point (remembering to connect both nowhere near the tank).

Keep in mind this is only if you're forced to use a conductive probe. That should be avoided if at all possible.

No, the name has nothing to do with bragging about 20 inch wheels...

We had the same problem with our 99 OB. It was intermittent. Once I had the problem, drove a couple miles to the next gas station and it took a full tank. I tried to connect it to weather, the way I started pumping the gas, etc. and nothing was clearly conclusive although it did seem to happen more often in the summer than in cooler weather. Eventually the car didn't pass inspection due to a CEL code that was diagnosed as failure of the 2 fuel and emission valves on top of the gas tank. Though I hadn't seen an increase in the problem, I suspect that maybe they'd been on the fritz for a while and just finally gave up.

• 6 years later...
I realize this is an old thread but was there any resolution to this? Our 08 LGT started doing this this weekend. Won't take ANY fuel!! Need some ideas!

Your ideas are in the thread already... it's likely related to the charcoal canister or other tank vents. Look up "vacation pix" on this forum and you should hopefully be able to figure out the rest

Archived