LegacyGT.com

low boost? just a newbie?

Heat

I have a question regarding amount of boost/psi. I've been reading a little about tuning and logging recently. Yesterday I did my first logs using the AP. I have an 09 LGT, 5 speed, AVO drop in filter only, running a stage 1 map from TA.

I ran through 1st-4th gears to red line. I also did a 3rd gear pull from about 3k to redline. The most boost I was able to get was about 9; I hit 10 just a few times through the course of messing around.

From reading on the forums, I thought that a stock LGT was at 12-13 and a stage 1 could be 15.

Do you guys think this is indicative of a leak or turbo failure? Is there some other explanation?

I'll post the map so in case it would help. Mike hasn't had the chance to play with the map so I'm not asking anyone's opinion of the map yet, just wondering about the psi/turbo. Thanks in advance.

I should add that the car seems to be running fine from my subjective impressions.

datalog4.csv

(disclaimer - more famililar with OpenSource then AP, oh.. and still learning)

I can hit 15psi on a stage 1 OS map(was getting 12 stock), but mine's an 05, and I know there are some differences

I wouldn't think it's a "failure" - wouldn't expect to see even 10psi, however a leak is possible, not sure if you're got the right parameters to know.

Log Throttle position - In those areas where you did hit 10, was it WOT? I would assume so, but it's always safer to ask (my OS map runs 12-8 psi @ 50% throttle from 4K-6K rpm)

Also, I would log FLKC, FBKC and total ign. timing, but I'm not sure what those would be on the AP...

again, forgive my lack of AP knowledge (someone else could probably give more info) but if I'm reading the parameters correctly, you're timing may be pretty conservative, but it looks ok at a glance

Hope that helps!

edit: re-reading my own post makes me question offering advice :)

Thanks for the advice so far. It's sort of funny, I had noticed that it seemed a little less powerful, but I chalked it up to that I was simply getting used to the power of the car. I guess I'll take the car into the dealership and ask them to look for leaks. Unless anyone has any other suggestions? I'm not looking forward to explaining how I "suspect" there is a boost leak...

I took it out yesterday as well. I tried the stock map and was still only hitting 9-10 psi. Any suggestions/comments before I take it to the dealer tomorrow? Chances of this being simply a leak?

Thanks in advance; this is a truly helpful place.

Thanks everyone! Prizes go to members lgtftw and SeeeeeYa.

My 2009 LGT was one of the early ones which had the recall on the engine. After blowing the engine the first time it was redlined, Subaru shipped a new engine, the complete long block was replaced. The dealership who replaced it did not insert the restrictor pill.

It happens that SeeYa and I live in the small town, about 5 minutes apart. He was kind enough to spend yesterday evening and this evening to help me find the problem. He had an extra restrictor pill and we gave it a try. I'm a bit embarrassed to say how long I drove the LGT with only 9psi of boost. What a different car now! I'm looking for the exact restrictor pill size in the '09 LGT now.

Thanks everyone. I'm again impressed and humbled with the willingness of members of this forum to assist others when in need.

I'm a bit embarrassed to say how long I drove the LGT with only 9psi of boost. What a different car now!

Tell me about it, I was on the same boat. Except that my car had been like that since 2005 (I just got it a few months back) until a couple of weeks ago when I got a boost gauge.

Archived