LegacyGT.com

Anyone try cleaning their moonroof shade/headliner?

So the other day I noticed that the moonroof shade on my LGT wagon has some water staining. After successfully using some Turtle Wax carpet cleaner on my sister's Mercedes' light colored interior with fantastic results I thought I would try it on the moonroof shade. That definitely ended up being a bad idea as now it looks like there's even more water discoloration. My questions are:

A. Has anyone successfully cleaned water stains or other crap from their moonroof shades or headliners? If so how?

B. Has anyone successfully replaced the moonroof shade? If so, how did you do it and how much did it cost?

Thanks in advance!

-Sergei

EDIT: The new feature that automatically searches for similar threads is awesome! All forums should have this lol

Ask a moderator to move this in the Detailing and Maintanance forum. OCDetails will probably give you the best response ever by the end of the day. If you don't know any mod's ask Bosco he is one I know for sure.

I got a tip from a local detail place about this stain remover called Chem Dry, that 'lifts' stains with no residue. They're supposed to be available at most Home Depots. I'm gonna give it a shot, but I'm still looking for advice!

-Sergei

Alright, well no thanks to you guys I got it cleaned out. In case anyone has this issue in the future here's what I did:

1. Went to Home Depot and bought a can of Chem Dry's "Stain Extinguisher"

2. Work a small area at a time (no bigger than 3X3")

3. Spray a small amount of the Stain Extinguisher on the water damaged spot and give it half a minute to soak

4. Dab it thoroughly with a paper towel

5. Use a hair fan on medium heat, high power, close up to dry the spot (takes about a minute)

6. Finish drying the spot while simultaneously rubbing it with a dry paper towel

7. Stain should be gone now

The main idea behind all of this is that the Stain Extinguisher 'lifted' the old water stain marks, which I dabbed out and dried very quickly so that new marks don't form. The result is that my sunroof cover looks good as new now.

Additionally, I tried this product on heavy oil staining and dirt on carpeting and it works excellent! At less than $5 for a decent size bottle, this product is the shit.

-Sergei

Alright, well no thanks to you guys I got it cleaned out. In case anyone has this issue in the future here's what I did:

1. Went to Home Depot and bought a can of Chem Dry's "Stain Extinguisher"

2. Work a small area at a time (no bigger than 3X3")

3. Spray a small amount of the Stain Extinguisher on the water damaged spot and give it half a minute to soak

4. Dab it thoroughly with a paper towel

5. Use a hair fan on medium heat, high power, close up to dry the spot (takes about a minute)

6. Finish drying the spot while simultaneously rubbing it with a dry paper towel

7. Stain should be gone now

The main idea behind all of this is that the Stain Extinguisher 'lifted' the old water stain marks, which I dabbed out and dried very quickly so that new marks don't form. The result is that my sunroof cover looks good as new now.

Additionally, I tried this product on heavy oil staining and dirt on carpeting and it works excellent! At less than $5 for a decent size bottle, this product is the shit.

-Sergei

Awesome to hear!!!!

I'm going to try it on the A-Pillars

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
What kind of product is this again? Do you have a pic or link?

Thanks!

As I mentioned in a previous post the product is called Stain Extinguisher and is made by a company called Chem Dry. It can be purchased at a Home Depot store. Here's a link: http://www.chemdry.com/products-tips/products-available-at-the-home-depot/stain-extinguisher-carbonated-spot-remover

Google dude ...

Archived