LegacyGT.com

I bought a lemon

wasabiboi

Hello! I bought my first car earlier today. A 1998 Subaru Legacy Outback.

During the test drive, everything looked and felt normal. All was well.

It wasn't until I started the trip back home when the check engine light came on.

I also checked the engine compartment and noticed that the coolant wasn't green but red. The overflow reservoir was all dirt red. Rust. Great.

I also noticed that I had little to no coolant in the radiator. So I filled it with some. I later checked it again after idling and all the coolant had disappeared. I noticed a tiny leak, but it was only 1 or 2 drops. The overflow tank I believe started rising? Would this call for a OEM radiator cap to solve my issue? Can I still drive around? I have not noticed any overheating.

And of course, when I went to the store to pick up things, the turn signals stopped working. I checked the fuse next to the driver side leg. It looked fine.

I feel like this car is hopeless and I bought a lemon. I knew it was too good to be true. Please help!

fixed the turn signal issue. Turns out the hazards button mount was broken and the button was constantly pressed which caused the no turn signal issue.

I hope the coolant just needs a flush, clean, and new OEM cap to solve my issue.

And for that Check engine light to be something minor

is there a good shop you trust to take it to? have them flush all the fluids and look it over good. when i bought my 2000 outback a few years ago i had to put $900 into it, $700 of that was because it needed a drive shaft the rest was little stuff, all the fluids new brakes etc but its been perfict ever since,

Archived