LegacyGT.com

New Owner, First Issue

So I have been an LGT owner for about three weeks now. Love the car except for the fact that it has decided to eat my accessory belts and try to saw through my timing belt (see attached image)

I replaced the belts, but on start up the AC belt came right off. Currently I am running the car without the AC belt with no issues. Before the removal of the AC belt the car would chirp on start up, and squeel when turning sharply while the car was not warmed up. It would also make a metallic grinding sound while the clutch was engaged and the car was moving.

What I have found in researching this problem is that replacing the AC idler pulley can potentially fix the problem. Are there any other parts I should consider changing out to prevent this from happening again, or is there a possibility that something else is wrong with the car?

Thanks for your help, this process has not been fun haha

20130407_154611.thumb.jpg.faeb6ad98bef7313b5cefb9d3eea2c87.jpg

replace the main pulley. research that one. and i bet before the night is over with you will have placed an order for a one piece pulley.

OTM.

Sorry I didn't mean to start a war which mainly forum people is all about ;).

Interesting. The previous owner of my LGT must have had something similar happen. My timing belt cover was chewed up, and he had a Perrin LWCP installed. Now I'm concerned because I just installed an OEM crank pulley.. Hopefully it only happens after a lot of miles.

Back OT- What is your mileage?

First thing I would check is the idler pulley. Make sure it moves freely, doesn't make noise or feels gritty. If it does I would replace that. If the pulley moves freely check the belt tension. When tightening the pulley bolt after setting the right tension don't tighten it too much. That can bind up the pulley.

-Alex

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/145749898/original.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg http://www.whiteline.com.au/images/logos/perf1.jpg

11+ Years Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Subaru Enthusiasts.

Call directly as We carry almost every manufacturer now, so before you buy parts call us.

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) | T-1 Certified Amsoil Direct Jobber |AIM: AZP Installs

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

Interesting. The previous owner of my LGT must have had something similar happen. My timing belt cover was chewed up, and he had a Perrin LWCP installed. Now I'm concerned because I just installed an OEM crank pulley.. Hopefully it only happens after a lot of miles.

Back OT- What is your mileage?

I'm at 85,000 miles. From my one day of research it seems like this is not a terribly uncommon issue at this mileage.

I ended up buying a Perrin crank pulley, and replacement idler pulley to throw on this weekend...I figured it was cheap insurance.

I'm at 85,000 miles. From my one day of research it seems like this is not a terribly uncommon issue at this mileage.

I ended up buying a Perrin crank pulley, and replacement idler pulley to throw on this weekend...I figured it was cheap insurance.

:lol: I just replaced my Perrin crank pulley with a new OEM pulley, but I also have a lightweight flywheel, so the Perrin LWCP was too light. It wasn't until reading this thread that I figured out why the previous owner of my LGT had replaced the stock crank pulley with a Perrin, or why my timing belt cover was mangled like yours. I'm guessing the same thing happened to him. I'm just banking on the fact that my OEM pulley is new.

Archived