LegacyGT.com

Huge problem

Well I cleared and blacked out my headlights last night and this morning had some condensation build up ... Throughout the day the condensation got worse. So, I took them back out and opened them up again. There seems to be a permanent fog on the lens. Help me out here, do I need a new lens or just wait to see if it goes away .... Any idea where to buy just the headlight lens.

Could it be the sealant? Did you use any extra sealant on it?

When I did mine i got a little bit of sealant on the lens, and used Goo Gone to get it off. It worked great!

Hope this helps!

Good luck!

-John

here you go ... any ideas

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc103/buduck04/P2280334.jpg

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc103/buduck04/P2280335.jpg

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc103/buduck04/P2280336.jpg

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc103/buduck04/P2280337.jpg

woa wtf?!

what kind of sealant did you use? It looks like the heat from the lights made a gas reaction or something that attached to it..

Perhaps you could use one of those headlight polishing kits for older yellowed headlights?

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

I'd say this is an anomaly.. I used automotive black silicone to re-seal mine. We scraped the old out with a screwdriver and added a LOT more.. then scraped off the excess after it dried.

If you're worried about it, or are doing more than just clearing the lense I'd recommend buying a replacement set and clearing them just for safety.. it will cost more, but if you screw up you'll have to buy a set anyway.. and you can sell your others later, or put them back in a fewyears from now when you go to trade the car in..

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

I think it may be from the headlights heating up the sealant that wasn't fully set up yet and it cause a reaction ... I'm just going to buy a new set. I baked them at 225 for 10 min.

anyone have any feedback with lights off ebay ... They say they are OEM fit ... I just don't want to pay 600 buck at the dealer

If anyone has a extra set that they want to sell LET ME KNOW

Since those lenses are done for anyways, try this...start with 1000 grit sandpaper, then 1500, then 2000, then get some of either Meguiars clear plastic polish, or the Blue Magic Headlight restorer (both available at Advance Auto) and go over them with that. The reason I think this will work is that looks like typical lens deterioration on older lenses and this will usually work unless they damages goes through the whole lens. Since what probably happened is the silicone gassed off in the assembly and that damaged the surface on the lens, you should be able to take it off. Not sure why this would be the first occurance of this unless a difference silicone was used than most people use.

Just a FYI. I have no expirience taking lenses apart, or clearing and re sealing them, but quite a bit of expirience restoring damages ones, and thats what it looks like to me from your pics.

I am curious about the ones on ebay.. I keep seeing 05 black housings on ebay but I dont know if they're OEM or just oem look-a-likes.They're MUCH cheaper than the dealer asks.

If they're OEM I dont know how they're getting them so cheap, but I'd probably buy some. I want to do a blackout and possibly hid retrofit one of these days..

You didnt need to add exrta sealant? I was paranoid..When I installed mine I did not use them for several hours after setting them back up. The silicone I used was automotive specifically on the package. The sealant was dry before I had a chance to get it good out of the oven really..

My old sealant got dog hair in it when I was taking them apart so I kinda had to replace it.. :p

Yea I'm just going to go ahead and seal these back up and wait for a new set of headlights to get here. I'm going to try the ones of ebay for now, I'll keep you guys posted on how they turn out.

I did try the sand paper idea with the glass/plastic polish, but that was a no go, it kind of diminished the foggynish a little. I also tried it about 5 times on the same lens and got tired of doing it with little results.

I'll probably just use the lens of the new set since my assembly is already blacked out. I'm just going to take a lot of time to make sure the assembly is sealed properly and wait a good amount of time to set up.

Guess it could be worse though, glad I didn't F up something more expensive.

If your asking me about the no extra sealant the answer was yes. I just cleared them. Squeezed them back together, baked for 5 minutes, squeezed again, baked for 2 or 3 minutes, squeezed and then put screws back in. Also, don't tighten the screws when plastic is really hot...

That really looks like some kind of outgassing issue. I can't imaging why plain silicone would do that. It almost looks like you stuck the lens plastic in a bag with a lot of superglue and the fumes ate into the lens. I can see the lens melting if it was too hot, but not fogging like that. I second plastic polish.

It may have been a cleaner issue as I did use that also. I did give it time to dry though too, so just on the safe side - don't use cleaner before you reseal

what cleaner acetone, alcohol, some sort of paint thinner?

Stay Stock Stay Happy

How well did you reseal the unit after blacking it out?

When i did mine, i didn't seal it as well and the "fog" started to form at the inner corners, so i took them out baked them took off the old sealant and resealed them with marine grade silicone and that stopped the "fog" from progressively taking over my headlights

Archived