LegacyGT.com

Winter tires

just get some good snow tires for the rims you care least about and make them your winter wheels. you drive a subaru its awd and heavy so tires dont really matter as long as they are snows you will have awesome handling and stopping power no matter what the conditions are. if you are looking for cheaper tires def go w 14" but if you dont mind spending a few extra bucks go w 16".

unless you are constantly driving on unplowed roads or deep snow tire width really doesnt matter. yes narrow tire dig better but on plowed roads where are you digging to?

personally i run my oem 2.5i alloy wheels w 205/45/16 (pretty sure thats the size) federal snows on em in the winter time. ive never had problems and i delivered newspapers last winter and i was out before plows most of the time. had lots of fun

Get the General Altimax Arctic. This tire is actually a re-branded Gislaved Nordfrost 3, which is a Swedish sister brand to General by means of Continental. They are made in 185/70R14 which is your size. I just ordered a set of them in 205/55/16.

http://www.0-60mag.com/footers/2012/03/cars-tire-test-general-tire-altimax-arctics/

RIP 96 Legacy 2.2 4EAT lost reverse @ 374,000 miles

just get good snow tires for whatever rim u wanna use for winter and you will be fine. id say put snows on the 14"s and get some nice summer tires for wrx wheels. thats my opinion. i only use the 2.5i 16" wheels for winter cuz i got 17" for summer. i also have my stock 15" wheels but the tires prolly dry rotted by now been in the corner of the garage forever

I would just stick with the 14" for two reasons, price and a little better traction like said already.

I have a 99 LGT with the 16" oem wheels and for winter I have a set of Outback wheels with 205/70/15 and I actually like the softer ride the Outback wheels provide but on the other side of the coin the 16" LGT wheels with performance tires handle pretty good.

A 205 is a narrow tire and my snow traction is awesome to say the least.

• 2 months later...

Archived