LegacyGT.com

An EASY(5 minutes) + CHEAP($40) IPOD Install

hogmeat

Well, after reading about the jazzy board install, and other various solder or "rip your poor radio apart" installs, I dont quite think I'm up to the task...I mean, I can't even install an uppipe :icon_bigg .

Anywho, if anyone is interested in a 5 minute, $40, 100% stealth IPOD Install, here ya go:

1. Buy this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16855998406 $40 shipped at NewEgg.

2. Buy IPOD.

3. Install FM Transmitter in center armrest cigarette lighter plug: It fits perfectly, and is very snug. Fits great, with no excess movement.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v175/lukebuz/IMG_1125.jpg

4. Run headphone cord though "cord hole" as shown:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v175/lukebuz/IMG_1127.jpg

5. Plug in to IPOD, tune to ANY STATION, and start IPOD:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v175/lukebuz/IMG_1130.jpg

Done! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v175/lukebuz/IMG_1131.jpg

This FM transmitter rocks! Almost all the reviews are excellent, and for good reason! Even closed up in the center console, and sound is great!

If I had to rate it, I'd go with this:

CD Audio = A

High Quality MP3 = A-

Perfect FM Radio = B+

FM Transmitter = B

Yes, there is a slight degradation of quality, but even for a obessed person, it's well within acceptable for me! I mean, it even tunes in at my house 40 feet away, while tucked in my center cubby!

Best things:

100% hideable in 30 seconds

100% removeable in 60 seconds

Charges your IPOD

Fits perfectly in your cubby

Sound is about equal to a 96Kbps MP3. Really folks, this aint bad!

I must say, I am very very impressed with the fit, and sound, and the install with this transmitter. I'd reccomend anyone to get it.

Except Jedi.

I'm pleasantly surprised... It was most certainly worth the couple bucks and 10 mins of my time.

CLICK HERE FOR THE HOGZAUST

I'd also have to add, you of course can leave the transmitter in the cubby; it's not going anywhere. I dont konw how well the picture shows it, but you have plenty of clearance to close the cubby. So, set it + forget it. Just control volume with your IPOD -or- stereo, and tracks with your IPOD.

The duct tape is my own peference so the cord wont move out of the "cord hole" when you open and close the cubby. It's hidden when closed.

I'm pleasantly surprised... It was most certainly worth the couple bucks and 10 mins of my time.

Hopefully everyone who's thinking about hardwiring already knows about this, we just don't want to as the sound quality is crap.

Well, most people think the transmitters are crappy and staticy, and faint, and fade in and out. Let me tell you, no problems here. Audio is great. This one is rock solid. I mean, no batteries, hides in cubby, any station, charges IPOD, what else could you ask for?

Well, most people think the transmitters are crappy and staticy, and faint, and fade in and out. Let me tell you, no problems here. Audio is great. This one is rock solid. I mean, no batteries, hides in cubby, any station, charges IPOD, what else could you ask for?
FM radio is fundamentally crippled in terms of sound quality, forget about "reception". If you don't care, don't let anyone convince you otherwise, unless you got the time and the cash.

I'm no audiophile, but is there really that much difference in sound ?

I mean, road noise isn't much in this car, but you're not in a concert hall here, it's a noisy place to listen to high quality music. FM radio is fine for me, there's even times when I listen to AM for heavens sake.

If you have the volume loud enough to cover the road noise, then you're not going to be fully aware of what's going on around you. I prefer to listen to what the engine is saying to me.

I'm no audiophile, but is there really that much difference in sound ?

I mean, road noise isn't much in this car, but you're not in a concert hall here, it's a noisy place to listen to high quality music. FM radio is fine for me, there's even times when I listen to AM for heavens sake.

If you have the volume loud enough to cover the road noise, then you're not going to be fully aware of what's going on around you. I prefer to listen to what the engine is saying to me.

I am very similar to you - I'm happy with my car's stock audio system. In addition, I like to hear the engine growl sometimes, and usually really like to when in stop and go, so I can listen and not stall or shudder it.

This solution is perfect for the likes of you and me.

Could I gut my stereo? Sure. Would it work when I reinstalled it? Probably not.

Until a more elegant solution comes along, i'm sold on this.

I am very similar to you - I'm happy with my car's stock audio system. In addition, I like to hear the engine growl sometimes, and usually really like to when in stop and go, so I can listen and not stall or shudder it.

This solution is perfect for the likes of you and me.

Could I gut my stereo? Sure. Would it work when I reinstalled it? Probably not.

Until a more elegant solution comes along, i'm sold on this.

If your experience with the up-pipe is anything to go by, best to leave it well alone :icon_tong

you don't have to "gut" your stereo. get an aftermarket stereo for the cubby. the stock wiring harness can always be re-connected to have it stock again. installing an aftermarket stereo is not all that difficult, although my particular one was a little tricky.

i'm no audiophile, either - i still have the stock speakers (which sound fine to me), but FM transmitters just don't cut it. if you're truly happy with your setup, then that's all that matters.

I did a quick and clean install of my XM radio this way.

Pros: It took me 15 minutes including running the antenna wire under the back seat floor mats up the side of the back seat and on to the inside of the back window (I did not want to cut into my new car, but really missed my XM radio). The signal has been very good even thought the antenna is inside the car and the XM unit is inside the middle glove box (I did not want the aftermarket box sitting on my dash).

Cons:FM limitation of digital audio signal. To my ears (studio musician and recording studio engineer) there is a BIG difference in the quality of the sound.

Just a note on the above comment on the stock speakers. I also think that with a little midrange increase, the stock speakers are very good. I have been in recording studios where the playback system did not sound as good as the stock system in this car (playing a well produced CD).

If anyone is interested, I will post some pictures of my install.

I am sure that eventually I will mod the setup to have a direct feed (non FM) and put the XM radio in the dash, but for now it was quick unintrusive and it works.

You are correct. Sound is a very subjective thing, and if it sounds good to you, then go forth and be happy.

I think my alter-ego made that previous post... or I was just in a pissy mood yesterday. I am sorry for any bad feelings I may have induced.

I am sure that eventually I will mod the setup to have a direct feed (non FM) and put the XM radio in the dash, but for now it was quick unintrusive and it works.

Yup. I can see this as me in a while when maybe more options come out (heard rumors of a direct connection for 06+'s), but for now....quick, no cutting, and works. gigg8ty

FM radio is fundamentally crippled in terms of sound quality

so are compressed audio formats like mp3, etc.

if the FM transmitter works reasonably well then this seems like a good solution, but you're never going to get 'audiophile' quality sound in a car with these type of source files.

so are compressed audio formats like mp3, etc.
Yeah, but they have a frequency response much better than 50Hz-15Khz and a channel seperation way better than 40dB, which is what you get for using FM. Nevermind the SNR and dynamic range... and screw audiophile technobabble, you can put uncompressed or lossless files on an ipod, regardless of what you think of lossy compression

Not to get totally off topic, or start a flame war, but in double-blind testing, a decent-bitrate MP3 (or other lossy format) tested very well compared to lossless formats, as based on people's testing who probably have much better hearing than me, and probably the general public. See the article here: http://www.geocities.com/altbinariessoundsmusicclassical/mp3test.html

A few notable quotes:

- The unofficial winner, with 26 total points was our ‘reference listener’ Gernot von Schultzendorff who, after over an hour of intensive listening, had to admit he was exhausted. ‘That was hard. It seemed to me almost as if some of the 256 kbps samples sounded somewhat rounder and more pleasing than the originals from the CD.'

- Our biggest surprise, however, came when we added up all the points achieved by all of the samples at each quality level: 128 kbps, 256 kbps, and CD-ROM. The samples at 256 kbps and the original CD samples achieved precisely the same score of 501 points. The 128 kbps samples clearly scored lower, with a total of 439 points. For those interested in statistics, these values of 501 and 439 differ significantly in statistical terms, with a probability of error of one percent (in scientific investigations, statistical deviations are considered significant when the probability is 5% or less). And between the 256 kbps and CD samples, which got exactly the same score, there was, of course, no statistical difference.

That being said, I can hear a difference 128k samples usually, and prefer 160 or higher. Beyond that, given a quality encoder (ie, LAME) I can't hear any difference...

Not to get totally off topic, or start a flame war, but in double-blind testing, a decent-bitrate MP3 (or other lossy format) tested very well compared to lossless formats, as based on people's testing who probably have much better hearing than me, and probably the general public. See the article here: http://www.geocities.com/altbinariessoundsmusicclassical/mp3test.html

A few notable quotes:

- The unofficial winner, with 26 total points was our ‘reference listener’ Gernot von Schultzendorff who, after over an hour of intensive listening, had to admit he was exhausted. ‘That was hard. It seemed to me almost as if some of the 256 kbps samples sounded somewhat rounder and more pleasing than the originals from the CD.'

- Our biggest surprise, however, came when we added up all the points achieved by all of the samples at each quality level: 128 kbps, 256 kbps, and CD-ROM. The samples at 256 kbps and the original CD samples achieved precisely the same score of 501 points. The 128 kbps samples clearly scored lower, with a total of 439 points. For those interested in statistics, these values of 501 and 439 differ significantly in statistical terms, with a probability of error of one percent (in scientific investigations, statistical deviations are considered significant when the probability is 5% or less). And between the 256 kbps and CD samples, which got exactly the same score, there was, of course, no statistical difference.

That being said, I can hear a difference 128k samples usually, and prefer 160 or higher. Beyond that, given a quality encoder (ie, LAME) I can't hear any difference...

that's interesting - i rip my CD's at 256k. :)

i saw an article once where super-expensive gold plated audio cable was put up in a test against fence wire. the audiophile judges ended it up in a draw. :lol:

It's easy,

1)If you love sound and are an avid sound freak.....FM Modulater will NOT cut it (EG. PatagonianGT, Myself, Deerkiller.....)

2)If you aren't, the FM modulater is quick easy and does the trick, many people I know have them and love them....

It's all about pref's, no need to bash on it. They work great for what they do. Awesome job on the install and mini walkthrough.....:D

And I agree, 128 bit mp3's NO GOOD......256..much much better...I shoot for 160 or above also...I can't stand it when I have more then on bit rate on a cd....go'n from 160 on one song to 256 to 128....just sux, I can't even listen to the 128 songs I have to skip over them.....sigh...

• 2 months later...

Because the topic apparently hasn't been beaten to death...

Is there any way to boost the signal coming out of one of these FM transmitters? We have a power source in the center console, and some tucked away space to play with, so I assume it can be done. I understand that the FCC places restrictions on them, which is why they (the transmitters, not-so-obviously) seem to suck so bad, but the FCC hasn't inspected the inside of my car in months and I think that, given the proper guidance, it could be a way around the stereo and dash surgery. Plus, if done the way I've envisioned it, everyone within a 40' radius and a couple of stations on their FM dial would be able to enjoy my music with me. :D

Just throwing it out there...

Because the topic apparently hasn't been beaten to death...

Is there any way to boost the signal coming out of one of these FM transmitters? We have a power source in the center console, and some tucked away space to play with, so I assume it can be done. I understand that the FCC places restrictions on them, which is why they (the transmitters, not-so-obviously) seem to suck so bad, but the FCC hasn't inspected the inside of my car in months and I think that, given the proper guidance, it could be a way around the stereo and dash surgery. Plus, if done the way I've envisioned it, everyone within a 40' radius and a couple of stations on their FM dial would be able to enjoy my music with me. :D

Just throwing it out there...

it will still sound like crap .... just in a larger area. :icon_bigg

easiest iPod solutions and best sound? -

----plan A:----

-JDM cubby adapter

-stereo with iPod control (see below)

---plan B:----

-JDM cubby adapter

-stereo with AUX input

-DLO Tranpod dock

i originally used plan A with Blaupunkt's iPod adapter - it worked, but the stereo only displayed the Artist (not song), and the playlist functions didn't work (not "entirely compatible" with the new iPod Video?) ... i returned the adapter.

then i went with plan B - the Transpod dock plugs into the cig lighter, and has a lineout on the side that gets run to the AUX input of the stereo. (better sound through the dock connector line out, as opposed to plugging in to the headphone jack). very simple - just pop the iPod into the dock, and it charges and sends out the audio - no dicking around connecting wires and cables. its easy to reach over and skip to the next song, and the audio is fixed coming out of the lineout, so the stereo controls the volume.

i supose the 'best' solution would be to get a newer Alpine stereo with the new "fast interface" adapter, and keep the iPod permanently hidden in the armrest.

I never jumped on the iPod bandwagon, so I'm just looking for a way to get the signal from the headphone jack of my mp3 player to my speakers.

I think boosted signal from a transmitter would work, in theory (the purpose is just to get it strong enough so it overrides any stray/noise frequencies, especially in populated areas), though some filtering or "cleaning up" of the signal is probably desirable. There are a few FM stations in my areas that sound as clear as a CD does in my car, and I guess I don't really understand why a transmitter in my car can't get an equivalent signal to the antenna.

Archived