LegacyGT.com

bigger injectors confusing mpg calculator?

so i recently took a trip from CT to TN, 1,800 miles round trip. i always reset my trip after an oil change, and did so right before the drive. my avg. mgp measured 41.5 after the trip. now, i know damn well i wasn't getting that kind of mileage. would throwing bigger injectors in throw off the computer the calculates the mpg? i certainly didn't ask for a prius tune...
i can put anything i want down here?!

• Moderators
so i recently took a trip from CT to TN, 1,800 miles round trip. i always reset my trip after an oil change, and did so right before the drive. my avg. mgp measured 41.5 after the trip. now, i know damn well i wasn't getting that kind of mileage. would throwing bigger injectors in throw off the computer the calculates the mpg? i certainly didn't ask for a prius tune...

Yes, you mpg readout will be off with new injectors. There's some tuning patchwork that can be done to correct that, I believe--you basically change the conversion factor but beyond that I don't know much about it.

Just calculate your mileage manually at each fill up.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Do any of our legacy tuners on this site offer this conversion table modification with their tunes ( with larger injectors )?

If you ask the tuner I'm sure. You just need to take the measurement yourself and compare it to the gauge

OK - This may be a little out there as I'm not a Tuner or an Electrical Engineer...

But is possible to add resistor (or two) into the sensor circuits to adjust one or more of the parameters vs. doing it the tune?

It may be an alternative since I get the impression some tuning software does not have the correction table.

• Moderators
If I had to mess with wiring in order to get a correct mpg dash readout I would just say "eff it". Use the dash readout for consistency and call it a day--if it normally reads 45mpg, so be it--anything outside of that and you might want to look into a possible problem. Other than that just calculate your mileage with an excel spreadsheet--more accurate anyway.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

No you can't.

The signal seen by the injectors is a square wave. Adding a resistor will only reduce amplitude, it will not alter the frequency of the signal.

The reason that works in other systems (EGT up pipe sensor) is because the sensors themselves change resistance to signal the change.. O2 sensors change resistance, MAF sensor change resistance. So if you substitute a resistance that is deemed as an 'OK' value for the sensor, the ECU will be tricked into thinking all is well with the sensor because the same voltage & current are going to it.

No you can't.

The signal seen by the injectors is a square wave. Adding a resistor will only reduce amplitude, it will not alter the frequency of the signal.

The reason that works in other systems (EGT up pipe sensor) is because the sensors themselves change resistance to signal the change.. O2 sensors change resistance, MAF sensor change resistance. So if you substitute a resistance that is deemed as an 'OK' value for the sensor, the ECU will be tricked into thinking all is well with the sensor because the same voltage & current are going to it.

Ahh - I figured it was most likely reviewed before, but thought it might be an easy idea:redface:

Thanks for a helpful explanation;):)

• 5 months later...

Archived