LegacyGT.com

2014 Subaru Forester Spy Photos

The B4

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/2014-subaru-forester-spy-photos-news?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+caranddriver%2Fblog+%28Car+and+Driver%29

http://media.caranddriver.com/images/12q1/435356/2014-subaru-forester-spy-photos-news-car-and-driver-photo-447497-s-429x262.jpg

What It Is: A 2014 Subaru Forester prototype in heavy camouflage. Caught testing on public roadways in the U.S., the pending fourth-generation model was running with a Honda CR-V and a Ford Edge, which indicates the expectations Subaru has for the newest Forester.

Why It Matters: Subaru has long been the go-to brand for wagon- and crossover-driving members of the crunchy elite. With entries from nearly every brand impinging on its territory, however, Subaru’s ability to update and adapt one of its bestselling vehicles without compromising its core attributes will be crucial for the brand’s success.

Platform: Expect the Forester continue to use an adapted version of the Impreza platform with conservative increases in width and length. The previous Forester was one of the first Subarus in decades to utilize fully framed windows, and that will carry forward to the 2014 model. A small quarter window is now located at the base of the A-pillar where the mirrors previously resided; the mirrors have been moved to the doors. The row of spines on the hood is likely (we hope) part of the disguise.

http://media.caranddriver.com/images/media/51/2014-subaru-forester-spy-photo-inline-1-photo-447661-s-original.jpg

In the single interior shot, the center stack and IP appear to have been redesigned to better match those of the new Impreza, including the familiar and functional three-knob HVAC controls. A new LCD screen for the infotainment system sits above that; at least in this configuration, it appears Subaru’s interior designers have gotten over their obsession with mid-’80s Nissan radios.

Powertrain: Given that it was just launched, the new Forester surely will carry over the current naturally aspirated 2.5-liter FB-series flat-four, likely with the addition of direct injection.We expect a turbocharged model, too, but probably of a smaller displacement; the 2.0-liter FB engine in the Impreza is a good candidate for forced induction. A manual should continue to be offered, while the current four-speed automatic, which handicaps fuel economy , will be replaced by a CVT.

Competition: Honda CR-V,Toyota RAV4, Ford Edge, Ford Escape, Kia Sportage, Volkswagen Tiguan, Subaru’s own Outback and forthcoming XV Crosstrek.

Estimated Arrival and Price: Plan onthe Forester arriving next year as a 2014 model. As for pricing, there’s obviously no word, but the current Forester starts at $21,370, so figure on that and some change for the new model.

Gallery: http://www.caranddriver.com/features/2014-subaru-forester-spy-photos-news?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+caranddriver%2Fblog+%28Car+and+Driver%29

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

gotta see the back window, it can't lose the square shape!!! this is a big advantage we have over the CRV and Rav4.

CVT is really disappointing to me, i wish they put a 5 speed auto. with a CVT its not going to be an outdoorsy suv anymore :(

What transmission will they throw in with the turbo model if it comes out? I assume not the CVT but there is also no stick shift option for the current Forester. Maybe they will throw in the 6 speed from the current Legacy?

What transmission will they throw in with the turbo model if it comes out? I assume not the CVT but there is also no stick shift option for the current Forester. Maybe they will throw in the 6 speed from the current Legacy?

They won't put a manual in it....look at it, it's a cross between an outlander and a pilot. Subaru has been pushing towards vanilla suvs, a manual transmission might actually make it interesting. The forester and Outback used to be the Anti-SUVs, now it looks like they are going to honda for inspiration.

Why do they keep putting the mirrors on the doors like that? It looks horrible

Increases visibility and allows for better aero dynamics for better fuel economy

gotta see the back window, it can't lose the square shape!!! this is a big advantage we have over the CRV and Rav4.

CVT is really disappointing to me, i wish they put a 5 speed auto. with a CVT its not going to be an outdoorsy suv anymore :(

Outback seems to be doing just fine with the CVT. It's more outdoorsy than the Forester is.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

They won't put a manual in it....look at it, it's a cross between an outlander and a pilot. Subaru has been pushing towards vanilla suvs, a manual transmission might actually make it interesting. The forester and Outback used to be the Anti-SUVs, now it looks like they are going to honda for inspiration.

That's what I was thinking, but what auto transmission will they throw in it then to handle the extra power? Unless the CVT they throw in is built up for a more powerful turbo motor..

Subaru Australia stated they are getting a diesel CVT. That means a CVT that can handle the torque does exist or will exist in the near future. I'd rather see an Auto turbo though, but I'd never buy either. We are a manual family

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Subaru needs to hire an interior designer. Don't get me wrong, I think the new Impreza/Forester interior is far better than the previous interiors, but if it's a different car it should be a different interior.

Just like the Legacy/Outback. It's a somewhat utilitarian looking interior - it works in the Outback, but the Legacy should have received something else.

Subaru needs to hire an interior designer. Don't get me wrong, I think the new Impreza/Forester interior is far better than the previous interiors, but if it's a different car it should be a different interior.

Just like the Legacy/Outback. It's a somewhat utilitarian looking interior - it works in the Outback, but the Legacy should have received something else.

Some of Subaru's interior designs and choices could be better. You make an excellent point. Subaru is improving though lags behind. It might be due to the low MSRP and expense of putting in awd. I can't stand the seat fabric pattern and quality. The door cards, carpet and other interior materials are substandard too.

Subaru had a good interior in the 05 Legacy. It was on-par with the interior design in the 3 series at the time (before BMW went to that stupid flat dashboard) and, IMO, better than the A4 which was just full of VW bits.

If you look at anything from Hyundai these days, even affordable Fords, you'll see that good interior design isn't necessarily all that expensive.

Subaru had a good interior in the 05 Legacy. It was on-par with the interior design in the 3 series at the time (before BMW went to that stupid flat dashboard) and, IMO, better than the A4 which was just full of VW bits.

If you look at anything from Hyundai these days, even affordable Fords, you'll see that good interior design isn't necessarily all that expensive.

Hyundai has improved their interiors. I don't think they are much better than a Subaru's though. Probably about equivalent, but that only makes sense since they cost about the same and Subaru puts more cost into the drivetrain.

The Foresters interior is nicer than the Impreza,Legacy and XV.

Some of Subaru's interior designs and choices could be better. You make an excellent point. Subaru is improving though lags behind. It might be due to the low MSRP and expense of putting in awd. I can't stand the seat fabric pattern and quality. The door cards, carpet and other interior materials are substandard too.

The 05-09 Legacy dash design was beautiful and high quality i wish Subaru would have gone with the same shape for the new one but the current Legacy is a huge downgrade in materials and craftmanship.

The forrester should have always had it's own separate dash design just like the WRX should of had.

I agree 100% it looks like shit,Honda and Nissan are doing it too it's a horrible trend that throws the whole design off.

A cable shifter manual? yuck please god no,how is it holding up in the new Legacy? probably not as much or as near as the better STI 6 speed that was in the last gen car. The last gen 6 speed was soo much better.

Sorry but you cant say outdoorsy and cvt in the same sentence. The last generation and the generation before that were better equipped,and more rugged than the current ugly Outback which is more or less a softroader wanna be crossover now.

The 05-09 Legacy dash design was beautiful and high quality i wish Subaru would have gone with the same shape for the new one but the current Legacy is a huge downgrade in materials and craftmanship.

Another rant. Subaru is moving the mirrors in their quest for better mpgs. Have you sat in a 2012 Impreza? The A pillars are thinner and the improvement in forward visibility is really noticeable.

The cable operated shifter seems to be holding up just fine... especially since the GT is more powerful than the last generation. The transmission is based off an updated version of the one found in the BL. Many, many vehicles use cable operated shifters. Honda has used them forever and they are one of the brands always praised for their manual transmissions. The only Legacy with the 6 speed was the spec.B and that was only for 2007-2009. That transmission is heavy and way too expensive for 2.5i duty. Since there isn't a spec.B... no STI six speed for the GT. At least it isn't saddled with a 5 speed and spin at 3,000 RPM at 75 MPH like your car.

The CVT in the Outback performs better than the 4EAT in the previous generation and it gets better MPG. There are plenty of online videos of the +2010 Outback doing offroad duty.

The only downgrade in the +2010 plus Legacy is the lack of a soft touch dash... and it's grained exactly the same as the soft touch material on the door which is way softer than what was in the BL. Every other material has been uprated. The fake aluminum trim has texture to it and doesn't flake like in the BL. The wood doesn't wear down like in the BL.

You have your negative opinions, but it's obvious that you aren't willing to see fact or reason. Having owned a BL and now owning a GR and BM, it's easy to see how comments like yours are based in Internet ire and nothing more.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Another rant. Subaru is moving the mirrors in their quest for better mpgs. Have you sat in a 2012 Impreza? The A pillars are thinner and the improvement in forward visibility is really noticeable.

The cable operated shifter seems to be holding up just fine... especially since the GT is more powerful than the last generation. The transmission is based off an updated version of the one found in the BL. Many, many vehicles use cable operated shifters. Honda has used them forever and they are one of the brands always praised for their manual transmissions. The only Legacy with the 6 speed was the spec.B and that was only for 2007-2009. That transmission is heavy and way too expensive for 2.5i duty. Since there isn't a spec.B... no STI six speed for the GT. At least it isn't saddled with a 5 speed and spin at 3,000 RPM at 75 MPH like your car.

The CVT in the Outback performs better than the 4EAT in the previous generation and it gets better MPG. There are plenty of online videos of the +2010 Outback doing offroad duty.

The only downgrade in the +2010 plus Legacy is the lack of a soft touch dash... and it's grained exactly the same as the soft touch material on the door which is way softer than what was in the BL. Every other material has been uprated. The fake aluminum trim has texture to it and doesn't flake like in the BL. The wood doesn't wear down like in the BL.

You have your negative opinions, but it's obvious that you aren't willing to see fact or reason. Having owned a BL and now owning a GR and BM, it's easy to see how comments like yours are based in Internet ire and nothing more.

Understood, but you did not address the 'looks' opinion.

I like the BM Legacy. Apparently other people do too. I really liked the 05 before it showed up with the extended bumpers. It just looked bland. The 08 was a nice refresh. I feel the +2010 plus looks nice and aggressive. I don't like the bland rear though. I ALWAYS get tons of compliments on my wife's car and she tells me about it as well. I have complaints, but I like it better than the previous gen.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nissan has a CVT connected to its awd turbo juke. I Wouldn't be surprised if Subaru did it too

I have been in the new Legacy,a showroom then brand new 2010. Believe me i wasn't impressed.

Wait, so you've driven the new Forester? sat in it? even seen it without it's cladding? Form follows function. It's ugly to you, but it aids in getting better mpg for a full time AWD vehicle and aids in visibility. The Legacy continues to set sales record. The Impreza continues to set sales records.

The Impreza lost hp and lost weight. The Impreza is a slow economy car. The CVT is quicker than the outgoing 4EAT and it's MILES better in handling than the previous gen, which wasn't sporty at all. The 148 hp Impreza has a better power to weight ratio than your car, and is faster in every measure than your car. Dynamically, EVERYTHING about the 2012 Impreza is better than the outgoing car.

You don't know anything about the upcoming Forester. You are full of opinion and a failure on facts. There are way more to cars than how they look.

Have you driven the Sportage? I have. The ride in the NA version is harsh and the road noise is way higher than the Forester. The turbo has an even harsher ride. Throw in styling that creates massive blind spots and compromises passenger and cargo space.

The Forester with a 4EAT is still faster than the overrated hp of the Sportage. It rolls more than the Sportage, but handles better as well. Throw in real AWD, a higher tow rating, a higher resale value, etc... And the aging Forester is still runner up for Consumer Reports Top Pick small suv.

You live and die by what you read as opposed to reality. Time to get a grip. It obvious you have no experience with the things you like to rant about.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wait, so you've driven the new Forester? sat in it? even seen it without it's cladding? Form follows function. It's ugly to you, but it aids in getting better mpg for a full time AWD vehicle and aids in visibility. The Legacy continues to set sales record. The Impreza continues to set sales records.

The Impreza lost hp and lost weight. The Impreza is a slow economy car. The CVT is quicker than the outgoing 4EAT and it's MILES better in handling than the previous gen, which wasn't sporty at all. The 148 hp Impreza has a better power to weight ratio than your car, and is faster in every measure than your car. Dynamically, EVERYTHING about the 2012 Impreza is better than the outgoing car.

You don't know anything about the upcoming Forester. You are full of opinion and a failure on facts. There are way more to cars than how they look.

Have you driven the Sportage? I have. The ride in the NA version is harsh and the road noise is way higher than the Forester. The turbo has an even harsher ride. Throw in styling that creates massive blind spots and compromises passenger and cargo space.

The Forester with a 4EAT is still faster than the overrated hp of the Sportage. It rolls more than the Sportage, but handles better as well. Throw in real AWD, a higher tow rating, a higher resale value, etc... And the aging Forester is still runner up for Consumer Reports Top Pick small suv.

You live and die by what you read as opposed to reality. Time to get a grip. It obvious you have no experience with the things you like to rant about.

I'm not ranting.

I remember when in the late 1990s / early 2000s Subaru decided to skirt emission regulations by making their Forester more of an SUV - made it wider, made it taller, etc.

I own a 2009 Forester and we like it - it is a great little car which I think looks great. At any rate its styling matches the timeless design of the BL/BP Legacy. But move on a generation and ugly stuff like mirrors mounted on the door and a little triangle window seems to make its way in the design. It is the new "radiator grille wings" phenomenon. Why can't Subaru stick to a safe and esthetically pleasing design as the 2005-2009 Legacy and the 2008-2012 IMpreza 2009-2013 Forester ? I am sure there are ways of updating the looks without taking away core characteristics.

I'm not ranting i'm stating things and pointing the obvious things out. There is no way in hell,that the new 12 Impreza is faster than the 11 no way in hell. It's slower,and frankly,some owners have stated they've been getting no where near the stated 36mpg. I don't care what you say,the 5th gen Legacy is hideous thats a fact. The 12 Impreza is hideous and the new forester will be hideous.

True the CVT is better than the 4spd auto,but it's still a crappy gearbox regardless of what you think. Ok the 12 Impreza comes standard now with a roll bar,whereas the 11's didnt but so? put a roll bar on the 11 it'll run circles around the 12 easily. Answer me this,why the base 12 Impreza lost all the standard features that were on the 11 car,but is still priced the same and/or slightly more than the 11? lets see 12 Impreza lost features and didn't really gain any. The price is still the same?! or more than the 11's figure that one out. For one no cruise or steering wheel controls on the base model anymore.

It has ugly non painted black side mirrors,no projectors,no led taillights on the hatch,no hood shocks a decrease in power and more. Frankly the 12 Impreza is basically a huge downgrade,the only thing nice about it is the interior. Sure they're selling good i see alot of them around here as with the new Legacy and Outbacks and current Forester which is nice but has a 4spd auto only on the XT. Also you need to quit bashing my car i love my BL/BP and i would never trade it in for the 5th gen ever! how do you know the Sportage turbo is overrated? you dont know wtf you're talking about. It has a 6spd auto and 270HP vs the Foresters outdated 4spd and 227HP. BRZ will be a strong seller as will the next gen WRX,and frankly i want the next gen WRX. I do wonder if the Legacy will get a mid cycle redesign or full for next year. If so it better not get the stupid a pillar/window big mirror on the door treatment. Also you talk about visibility on the new 12 Impreza,but the windshield is huge and i'm sure the front visibility is difficult to see the hood. I used to have an 06 Honda civic with a steeply ranked huge windshield i couldn't see the hood due to that fact.

Are you 12? You need to learn the definition of "fact". You're spewing how crappy the CVT and the 5th gen are and stating it's a fact, yet he needs to stop bashing your car? You make absolutely no sense. Seriously though, you sound like an uneducated teenager with ADD.

I have test driven the CVT and I also have driven the 4EAT and I think that the Subaru CVT is way better than any stepped AT box you can find on the market.

The problem is more that people aren't used to a CVT.

453747.png

Archived