LegacyGT.com

Nameless Downpipe: Official 5th Gen GT Install Thread

My turbo is going to be ported tomorrow morning. English had a list of maintenence items to do in addition to the exhaust install, so they had just installed the downpipe with fresh hardware. As good a time as any to port the waste gate.

The alternative was to keep the OEM BPV. Wasn't a fan of that option.

Edited by Ellesedil

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Now to that, end if anyone, especially Starks since he is so close, wants me to start the communal housing swap for porting I will gladly pass the part along, I just need some time to get it off.

I would be down for that. I need to get a quote on time & cost of porting to find out if I can do it in one day. If it takes more than one then I might as well do it myself.

I don't recall any such promise to "cure any and all overboost"...the problem as described doesn't lie with the GB part or the original design it lies with the crappy mass produced turbine housing and woefully small waste gate port.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Yeah, I'm sure you don't remember seeing how long and drawn out this whole thing has become but if you look back to Jojos post #838 you can a screen shot of the ad and it clearly advertises "no boost creep" now I'm not an English professor but I'm pretty sure that "no boost creep" and "cure any and all boost issues" means the same thing. In case anyone doesn't wanna go that far back I'll leave the screen here with that quote in a red box

Capture.thumb.JPG.d0485848a4fb0f540149e97ff1589367.JPG

Now that my daily is reliable and weather is solid again I'd be down for a community housing. If you're going to port yours Flegacy I could come up and and we could do it together.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Id be down to come from Jacksonville and do mine as well !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I'm sure you don't remember seeing how long and drawn out this whole thing has become but if you look back to Jojos post #838 you can a screen shot of the ad and it clearly advertises "no boost creep" now I'm not an English professor but I'm pretty sure that "no boost creep" and "cure any and all boost issues" means the same thing. In case anyone doesn't wanna go that far back I'll leave the screen here with that quote in a red box

Boost creep implies uncontrolled over boosting, which isn't the case here. Their test clearly showed the two DPs behave similarly, note the dropping boost at the end of the curve. Not climbing or creeping up. Or just keep drinking your haterade...;)

Starks PM me, I don't have the time to port the housing or to install it right now. So I don't mind passing around the part for others to use.

Edited by FLlegacy

Boost creep implies uncontrolled over boosting, which isn't the case here. Their test clearly showed the two DPs behave similarly, note the dropping boost at the end of the curve. Not climbing or creeping up. Or just keep drinking your haterade...;)

Starks PM me, I don't have the time to port the housing or to install it right now. So I don't mind passing around the part for others to use.

Haterade? Seriously dude? Not sure who asked you, I didn't know you worked for nameless and were the authority on all things boost related. Also like I know you've been told before. If you're happy with your down pipe great, have a cookie, but some of us feel like we've been ripped off. So if you could leave that conversation between the aforementioned group and nameless performance we'd really appreciate it, because I don't think very many of the few people in that fall into that group care about your opinion on that matter.

Edited by Apexofthevortex

Their test clearly showed the two DPs behave similarly, note the dropping boost at the end of the curve. Not climbing or creeping up.

It is likely the turbo is dropping boost pressure, because the turbo can not supply enough air to maintain the boost pressure for the engines air flow at higher rpm.

It is likely the turbo is dropping boost pressure, because the turbo can not supply enough air to maintain the boost pressure for the engines air flow at higher rpm.

Exactly.

My definition of boost creep is where you're at an MRP above what is most efficient for the turbo while being at zero or near-zero WGDC, and therefore have no tuning tools with which to lower it.

No way would I call running a leaky BPV a solution to boost creep. We know why compressing and recycling charge air is horrible.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

And until we see the logs showing 0 wgdc we can't say one way or the other, but according to their post the boost was not uncontrolled. At least that is how I read it. If I'm wrong I apologize.

Edited by FLlegacy

And until we see the logs showing 0 wgdc we can't say one way or the other, but according to their post the boost was not uncontrolled. At least that is how I read it. If I'm wrong I apologize.

After talking with Aaron about everything he said that having an after market BPV on the car you wont be able to get lower boost numbers. Having a valve that will hold the boost will net you 20+PSI. If you wanted say lower boost like 16-19PSI you would need to keep your stock valve.

Though I agree that seeing the complete logs would be ideal, I'm not sure how else we would interpret the above quote from Nameless apart from the boost being uncontrolled. As fahr_side mentioned, running a leaky stock BPV is not a solution, it's a bandaid.

What this test did APPEAR to show us is that there are very negligible differences between the old design of the downpipe and the new design, which was a sticking point and frustrating situation for many of us who participated in the group buy and felt that we did not get what we paid for. It seems that the design change does not significantly impact performance (and could help, though I'd be hesitant to latch onto those specifics too much).

There does however remain the issue of whether or not this uncontrolled boost goes against the claims by Nameless of the downpipe offering a "more consistent boost curve and no boost creep." I feel those claims were likely over confident on Nameless' part and needed more in-depth testing of all setups before being put out there, but I don't think there was malicious intent behind them. I also think anyone would have trouble making a legal case against them on these grounds given all of the variables involved.

I bought this product due to the early claims that it would offer improved boost control and fix boost creep. My focus for this car was basic boltons. I didn't want to mess with wastegate porting or an external wastegate. This product sounded like the perfect solution. The product description was what sold me. If it had been worded a different way or had some fine print ("*your results may vary*") I doubt there would have been such a fuss. Most of us get it, you got to pay to play. And most of us know there is some risk that things don't go as planned. But Nameless was so damn convincing that I can't help but feel mislead. Clearly the BPV is one factor not considered during testing and it really should have been. Hell, they have one in their own lineup which was advertised by Nameless and talked about a lot on this forum while the DP group buy was in progress. I'm sure there are several people in the GB that added the BPV to their order as well.

Regarding the flapper interference issue, it is a real problem. It is unfortunate that it wasn't reproduced here. I encourage anyone that does the install to stick with stock studs and be very careful when installing. It may be wise to just do the "hammer mod" anyway. If you would like to use different hardware (totally stainless) definitely do the hammer mod.

The torque curve on the graph is interesting and not normally what we see on these cars. I would expect max boost and torque to be much farther left on the graph and closer to 3500 rpms, not up at 4250 rpms. I wonder if the WGDC is set high in the lower rpms to bleed off a lot of boost while spooling for a slower spool until the time that the turbo starts to run out of poop anyway, and this is being done to keep the boost in check so it doesn't get out of control early on during spooling. If that's the case, then potential power between 3500 and 4250 is not being harnessed and is instead compromised by.....the wastegate port? the efficient flow of the DP?

15d8cyc.thumb.jpg.fcb5fd6f45fce692839140b2dae8f977.jpg

The torque curve on the graph is interesting and not normally what we see on these cars. I would expect max boost and torque to be much farther left on the graph and closer to 3500 rpms, not up at 4250 rpms. I wonder if the WGDC is set high in the lower rpms to bleed off a lot of boost while spooling for a slower spool until the time that the turbo starts to run out of poop anyway, and this is being done to keep the boost in check so it doesn't get out of control early on during spooling. If that's the case, then potential power between 3500 and 4250 is not being harnessed and is instead compromised by.....the wastegate port? the efficient flow of the DP?

LOL. I wrote a post that echo'd these exact same thoughts yesterday, but I figured the logs would clear it up without to much speculation, so I didn't post it.

Hell, they have one in their own lineup which was advertised by Nameless and talked about a lot on this forum while the DP group buy was in progress. I'm sure there are several people in the GB that added the BPV to their order well.

I bought one and currently have it installed on my car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We could go round and round in circles forever. I've said this before and I'll say it again. I'm confident Subaru were well aware of the wastegaste not being large enough, which is why the car came setup from the factory the way it did. Some members of the forum knew this since jackal had boost control issues way before the GB happened. I have to think Nameless knew our cars have issues with boost control to some degree considering how the GB and these down pipes were advertised.

I guess what isn't clear anymore is if aftermarket DPs were overboosting with the OEM BPV as well, which would make the Nameless piece distinct. The impression I get is some were, but that's not clear anymore.

That would be easy enough to test if someone had an oem and aftermarket bpv. In my case, before my tune I built more pressure with the stock one vs the turbosmart kompact. If I still had it I would have already tested it back to back. However, before my tune I was only reaching 12 to 14 psi on the cobb ots hwg stage 2 tune.

Just got an update.

"We were not able to do the porting on the turbo like we wanted to. The main issue is the wastegate flapper does not open enough, and thats where we think the problem lies. We did a few other small mods on the downpipe and we are going to get it on the dyno here this afternoon hopefully and test out theory on it.

We ended up opening up this area, which will get more air/exhaust to that and we think this is going to help the Creep!"

Looks like to me that they enlarged the area of the WG dump pipe a little bit and flattened the main exhaust exit where the waste gate dump pipe is.

downpipe.thumb.JPG.adf9c3f99ce40518fa46a2d9021fa192.JPG