LegacyGT.com

Exhaust option...

trackwrex

hi everyone. i know you guys probably don't know me but i've been trolling the boards and recently picked up a new legacy... well, 2005, but new-to-me... :) the reason i'm posting is because i'm trying to gather interest in possibly designing a new exhaust system. i absolutely LOVE the "Tuned by STi" quad-pipe exhaust available overseas but the price is a little high. do you guys have any input on what you would like? i'm planning on having these items prototyped (after finalizing a design) ASAP. i'll be dealing with a great aftermarket manufacturing company but they're asking me for a commitment of 10 pre-buyers at about $500 each. That would cover the cost of initial tooling, rapid prototyping and inventory. anyone have any preferences? in terms of sound, etc. i'm thinking about a catback system with a low-growl sound much alike the perrin exhaust but just a tad quieter...please let me know what you guys think or if anyone is interested. thanks again!

I'm interested in a nice quiet quad-tip system, but that's a pretty big commitment ($500 :eek:) for just prototyping. You may want to take a look at the MR exhaust (contact boostjunkie) and maybe the Stromung as well if you're going after that look.

As far as being tucked into the exhaust cut-outs, the STis look good, and you may actually want to search for Rodan's thread as he did a custom system that looked pretty good.

I am in as long as:

1. MUCH quieter than Perrin and quieter than MR.

2. Doesn't drone like MR.

3. Mufflers are tucked in, no stupid chrome hanging down the car.

Would be also nice if:

4. Mufflers mate to stock y-pipe.

5. Mufflers come in wagon fitment.

Yeah, I want something like the STI quad-tips, but with bigger inlet pipes (2.5"), the STI has stock (2").

If the above is met, especially (1), I am in.

see... the "boxer drone" is what i'm trying to tone down myself. i don't want to announce to the world (and the police) that a modded subaru is coming in the dead of night.

the development for this exhaust is just that- development. i wanted to get a consensus of what people want and how they want it. obviously i can't please everybody but i'm trying to come close. i like the look of the STi exhaust. so something like that. what i'm aiming for is something classy and not overtly obvious. more subtle. like a mix of the STi and the M5's style. i'll see if i can get the 2.5" pipes to fit back there.

more ideas please. and i'll probably be spreading the word to NASIOC, etc...

I am in as long as:

1. MUCH quieter than Perrin and quieter than MR.

2. Doesn't drone like MR.

3. Mufflers are tucked in, no stupid chrome hanging down the car.

Would be also nice if:

4. Mufflers mate to stock y-pipe.

5. Mufflers come in wagon fitment.

Yeah, I want something like the STI quad-tips, but with bigger inlet pipes (2.5"), the STI has stock (2").

If the above is met, especially (1), I am in.

^+1 :whore::)

WTF are you talking about droning with the MR exhaust. Mine doesn't drone at all. If you have a wagon then maybe I could understand why it would drone with all that glass in the back.

WTF? :rolleyes:

I rode in a sedan with MR and it droned pretty badly on highway. Maybe it was an isolated problem - I don't know. The owner mentioned some issues with one of the mufflers.

I'm interested in a nice quiet quad-tip system, but that's a pretty big commitment ($500 :eek:) for just prototyping. You may want to take a look at the MR exhaust (contact boostjunkie) and maybe the Stromung as well if you're going after that look.

As far as being tucked into the exhaust cut-outs, the STis look good, and you may actually want to search for Rodan's thread as he did a custom system that looked pretty good.

Hey CobaltForge,

Hope you had a good weekend. Sorry I've been incogneto for the last week- I went to the Chicago Auto Show for work... There were a couple of good things... Okay, as for the price, the price of $500 will be for the actual finished product. The commitment of 10 people (or more for this initial phase) is the minimum order they're willing to pick up to create the finalized product. I will be doing the actual prototyping. No worries, things will fit perfectly for the other 10 people (aside from me). Because they're committing to this new exhaust system, they're getting a price break. Afterwards, the price will be around the Perrin system. A bit cheaper, but you know... The company is reputable. So the more people I can get in on this initially, the better. :)

Archived