LegacyGT.com

mice mileage

Weird but true story.

Checking the air filter, I found that a mouse was making a home in the airbox (on the dirty side). He had made a nest of shredded paper, and downy fluff, and .. everything necessary to starve an engine of air. Now this might have had something to do with worsening gas mileage we'd been getting. I thought it was related to being colder outside, and winter driving cycles were taking their toll on mileage.

Was even more surprised to find that industrious mouse had absolutely filled the resonator chamber below the airbox to the brim with sunflower seeds. I sucked about 10 pounds of seed out of that box with a vacuum hose stuffed down that hole. I figure the critter was leaping onto the grill and running up and down the air intake snorkel.. or maybe he just popped the seeds in right there and let them slide down.

We notice the car was sounding a little more aggressive lately too... because that resonator wasn't doing its job full of seed. Maybe that's another clue you can listen out for too?

Hope it doesn't happen to you.. but kind of a relief after cleaning that out and getting back to the usual, not too bad, mileage.

Cheers

Scott

My friend's chevy was damaged by mice. His case is the airconditioning line to the cabin(not the refrigerent line). It happens sometimes especially for cats and mice. I heard they like the warmness of the engine..
From Desert to Rocky to SLC !!!

• 4 years later...
So I just found the same thing, I was lucky upgrading my filter to a foam perrin version and found this mess! I need a cat! These damn mice have f'ed up my motorcycle, my tractor and now my legacy......... Your days are numbered jerry!

i don't think blocked airfilter would hurt fuel economy,

it would reduce total power output but in the same way like letting off the throttle.

its either the throttle plate restricting or the airfilter. either way its closed loop airfuel ratio control.

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

Archived