LegacyGT.com

2014 Legacy GT in Japan

LegacyWGTW05

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Manual > CVT

I drive a Nissan Altima with CVT everyday...on the everyday boring car it's good...smooth

not on a performance oriented car

That's nice. You've driven a Nissan Altima with a CVT. Great job there! Applying the same flaws and shortcomings of Nissan's CVT to Subaru's CVT, not such a great job there. :rolleyes:

Old news, and it's for 2013, not 2014, and I really want one!

Subaru CVT is so much better than Nissan CVT. Nissan makes their engines hang out at a constant RPM while accelerating, giving the typical CVT-induced drone. Subaru lets the RPM build, avoiding the drone. Also, in the Impreza, Subaru's CVT is definitely sporty. In the Legacy and Outback, not so much.

But, with this new CVT, it's definitely got sporty covered like a blanket.

2.0 DIT is pretty nifty, but I too am a CVT hater. Sure there are some operational advantages versus either a manual or an automatic, but as far as I am concerned nothing can or will ever replace a true manual transmission. The fact that the CVT is the only option is heartbreaking.

Yeah, nothing says "sporty" like a cvt.

I'll wait for the 3 pedal version.

As with all transmissions, it's all about the application.

You can find sporty and non-sporty examples for any category.

I say the new CVT in the new Legacy GT DIT is sporty, because people who have driven it claim it is. Wait until you have a chance to drive one before you claim otherwise.

As with all transmissions, it's all about the application.

You can find sporty and non-sporty examples for any category.

I say the new CVT in the new Legacy GT DIT is sporty, because people who have driven it claim it is. Wait until you have a chance to drive one before you claim otherwise.

No thanks. Sorry, but I can't get excited about the death of yet another manual transmission car. Look at the list of available manual transmission cars, it keeps shrinking! LGT, Altima, Maxim, Mazda 6, etc. It's getting more and more difficult to get a sporty manual sedan under $30k that isn't a compact.

I'll gladly give up a couple tenths of a second in straight line acceleration for the added involvement of rowing my own gears.

i'm all for the CVT, but how do you launch it?

manual and dual clutch cars, you can launch, but i can't imagine launching a cvt trans without it grenading the first time?!?

Who knows, maybe it can be programmed for launch control - let the RPM build to 4500 and hold. I would say that launching is not what CVTs are about. If you're going to drag-race your car, definitely go with a manual. For 99.9% of the time, CVT will be just fine.

i understand that subaru's are not drag cars, but seeing that the CVT is going to be part of subaru's future performance setup, how will it affect cars like the sti and or "sti legacy" *dreams*. either way i'm sure you would want good 0-60 numbers for advertisement and bragging rights.

also when you accelerate hard with a cvt it holds the revs at certain RPMs depending on where the peak is on the powerband. i wonder how tuners will handle this since the powerband with change depending on upgrades.

Archived