LegacyGT.com

Disabling audible chirps when arming/disarming the alarm

I find the chirp is really annoying when you're unlocking all the doors and the trunk...that's 3 chirps in total. So here's a way to disable the audible chirps. The lights on the car will still flash when arming or disarming:

1) Unlock the doors by pushing the unlock button on the remote.

2) Immediately after unlocking the doors, push the lock and unlock buttons simultaneously for two seconds.

An electronic chirp will sound twice and the turn signal lights will flash twice to inform you that the audible signal has been turned off.

To turn the audible alert back on, just repeat the process above.

I stumbled upon this in my user manual on page 2-16 in the Keys and Doors section (Canadian 2005 GT LTD 5MT manual). I really hated the audible alerts..so when I found this I was ecstatic.

• 1 month later...
OK, I checked the manual - it is different on my 06, I had to sit in the driver's seat, hold the unlock switch up on the driver's door and put the key in the ignition and take it out at least 6 times in 10 seconds, then open and close the driver's door. Worked like a charm!

• 3 months later...
Awesome! Did it this morning. BTW, when I get out of the car I use the lock switch on the door and it still chirps when the door closes. I happen to like this since I don't pay attention to the lights when I close the door.

OK, I checked the manual - it is different on my 06, I had to sit in the driver's seat, hold the unlock switch up on the driver's door and put the key in the ignition and take it out at least 6 times in 10 seconds, then open and close the driver's door. Worked like a charm!

Are you serious?!?!???

That's a bit rediculous to just disable some CHIMES.

Sounds like lawyers > engineers on this one... :icon_mad:

-=- Livin life at 140 BPM -=-

• 1 year later...

Worked for me in MY07! Thank you!

^ n00bs below this line

• 4 months later...
It has the directions on the back of my old 06 remote, but i never tried it because i had nav, which allows you to change that in the info part. Does anyone know if it is the same on an 08? there is nothing on the back of the 08 remotes except the subaru emblem. Also, i don't know who else is thinking this, but i really don't like the bulkiness of the 08 remotes.

• 1 year later...
'08 (with navigation) the chirp removal is in one of the navigation menus. Super easy. Why couldn't they put the DRL removal in there??!! :)

To hell with the DRL disable, it would be nice if you could cut the seatbelt chime off instead...Not that it really matters to me since I've already pulled the seatbelt buckles apart again and did the mod but this would be a lot less time consuming

To hell with the DRL disable, it would be nice if you could cut the seatbelt chime off instead...Not that it really matters to me since I've already pulled the seatbelt buckles apart again and did the mod but this would be a lot less time consuming

for my 05 outback all i had to do was sit in seat... turn car to on position... clip and unclip belt 20 time with in 30 sec and then turn car off....

Disabled both drivers and passanger chime and does not even show the little red unbuckled guy

This isn't exactly along the same lines, but does anyone know about disabling the panic button on the remote? I hate its location, I always seem to press it with the keys in my pocket, if I move the wrong way. Drives me nuts. :) I like the older remotes, where you had to press/hold lock and unlock at the same time.

Anyway, just wondering. I'm sure I could clip the back of the plastic button piece or something, but this is the only key fob I have for now (need to get more made) and I don't want to screw it up.

• 2 weeks later...

omgz thanks to you!

Archived