LegacyGT.com

Newly installed Invidia HFC DP and SPT exhaust

DMTaylor

No pics, you can search for that. I just wanted to say that the combo is, in my opinion, ideal in terms of exhaust sound. No drone at 70 - 80mph and very deep, with no raspiness. It's just unobnoxious and tasteful, as far as aftermarket exhaust systems go.

I read a post a couple days ago saying that the DP would take about 20 minutes to install. What a crock that was! I would say, that if I had to do it again, it would still take over 30 minutes. Just taking the heat shield off to get to the downpipe bolts took 10-12 minutes. Why does the heat shield need so many bolts, really?

Anyway, I really like the quality and fitment of both the Invidia HFC DP and the SPT exhaust. Not many people mod Legacys around here, so I pretty much went into this blind. And for once, it actually worked out.

Dave

I find it hard to believe that no one has posted sound clips of this combo before. If it's true, I'll try to come up with something.

I installed both the DP and the CBE at the same time, so I can't say what the difference was between stock, stock DP with CBE, or DP with stock exhaust. I can say that both the Invidia HFC DP and SPT exhaust are high quality pieces and I'm very happy with the combo.

Dave

I've never heard any exhaust system other than the SPT on the LGT, but I'm completely happy with it so far. Its got that low rumble and doesn't get annoying like most honda exhausts. I found myself turning off my radio randomly to listen to the sweat sound of meshing gears.

I've got a bunch of microphones I can strap to my car. Once the weather warms up a bit, I'll get something together. Maybe also get an SPT and then SPT + up/downpipe clip for comparison.

Yeah, no real issues except for 2 stubborn bolts. Why do you ask?

I'm just doing research on downpipe options. I narrowed my choices down to the Perrin and Invidia and I was told that the bracket on the Perrin one piece DP would not fit 6MTs because of the mounting location. I'm looking for a strictly bolt-on no modifications solution, so that's why I asked. Thanks for the answer.

I've never heard any exhaust system other than the SPT on the LGT, but I'm completely happy with it so far. Its got that low rumble and doesn't get annoying like most honda exhausts. I found myself turning off my radio randomly to listen to the sweat sound of meshing gears.

I've got a bunch of microphones I can strap to my car. Once the weather warms up a bit, I'll get something together. Maybe also get an SPT and then SPT + up/downpipe clip for comparison.

That's precisely what I'm doing. Back in the fall I took a clip when I just had the SPT cat-back. Once it warms up a bit and I clean up the car I'll take a 2nd one with the Cobb DP. It really sounds awesome.

That's precisely what I'm doing. Back in the fall I took a clip when I just had the SPT cat-back. Once it warms up a bit and I clean up the car I'll take a 2nd one with the Cobb DP. It really sounds awesome.

NO DO IT NOW!!! lol

When you make you clip, if I may request....

Do one that has the car at idle, WOT, Drive by, and in cabin cruising speed. I know thats alot. But you have the setup I want.

If you can, Ill make you some CF coasters!

NO DO IT NOW!!! lol

When you make you clip, if I may request....

Do one that has the car at idle, WOT, Drive by, and in cabin cruising speed. I know thats alot. But you have the setup I want.

If you can, Ill make you some CF coasters!

Jeez, picky picky. :p I'll do my best.

Wait a minute . . . you live pretty damn close to me. You wanna just meet up and hear it in real life sometime? lol

Jeez, picky picky. :p I'll do my best.

Wait a minute . . . you live pretty damn close to me. You wanna just meet up and hear it in real life sometime? lol

Hey I guess you do. lol I didn't notice. And yeah that sounds like a good idea...nothing better than the real thing!

I've got clips of an Autospeed catted DP and SPT catback on youtube and here somewhere. I'll be going with an Invidia cattless when the 20g goes on in a few weeks. Mine will sound different though since I have headers too...
Let's kick this pig!

I've got clips of an Autospeed catted DP and SPT catback on youtube and here somewhere. I'll be going with an Invidia cattless when the 20g goes on in a few weeks. Mine will sound different though since I have headers too...

how did you manage to fit on more than 1 header? ;) sorry, friend makes fun of me when I say it. I'd be curious to hear that to see how much difference the header makes. It should have a deeper Subaru rumble right?

do most people run catless for the most part? I think I'll run catted DP and keep everything else catless. If it weren't for the fact that its been below freezing this entire weekend, I would have put together some clips.

Will try my best to do idle, WOT, driveby, and in cabin once the weather cooperates.

how did you manage to fit on more than 1 header? ;) sorry, friend makes fun of me when I say it.

Mine is actually two pieces thus the plural usage :lol:. Just an old habit from V-8 engines that did have headers as in one header on each side;). But ya I get it.

Even with an en-equal length header; you loose a little of the rumble. It still pops real tight, but when it's opened up it sounds more like an F1 engine than the traditional boxer rumble. Hopefully going cattless will make the rumble a little more distinct again.

Here are a couple links to my "first fire" of the SPT with a catted DP and then again after a couple weeks. I don't think I've posted any with the header yet:

first fire:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=153AZIlHBJs&feature=channel]YouTube - 05 Subaru Legacy GT SPT Exhaust[/ame]

a week or so later:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhbTbKTR0PU&feature=channel]YouTube - 05 Subaru Legacy GT SPT Exhuast[/ame]

Will post more as I get them.

Let's kick this pig!

Mine is actually two pieces thus the plural usage :lol:. Just an old habit from V-8 engines that did have headers as in one header on each side;). But ya I get it.

Even with an en-equal length header; you loose a little of the rumble. It still pops real tight, but when it's opened up it sounds more like an F1 engine than the traditional boxer rumble. Hopefully going cattless will make the rumble a little more distinct again.

Here are a couple links to my "first fire" of the SPT with a catted DP and then again after a couple weeks. I don't think I've posted any with the header yet:

first fire:

a week or so later:

Will post more as I get them.

Your second video was solely what pushed me to buy the SPT exhaust and have it installed before I ever drove the car off the lot. Props for a great vid!

I'll get one video with the current setup which includes a header and then I'll get another of the change when I go cattless. I've had my SPT on for going on two years and it still rubs out to a mirror finish. You just have to be sure to wipe the carbon off the tips regularly so the carbon doesn't build up and discolor them. I just wipe it down with a damp rag and dishsoap to get the water spots off. Other than that I drop the whole thing and polish it out with Mother's polish in the spring and fall;).
Let's kick this pig!

please add any audio/video clips of your setup to the clip thread that is a sticky at the top of this forum :)

I think mine have been there for years but I'll see if the links/videeo are embedded and update them if need be. ...

Let's kick this pig!

Archived